“Fire the Cook, keep the Baker.”

Gap Diner Family Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 20 Restaurants in Gap
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Many years have passed. Had to stop, Mistake, Prices great, Value not so. Dinner large but not seasoned at all, roast pork and sauerkraut bland, but portion. Was large .Tuna melt was dark meat tuna tasted fishy. Slaw was too sweet and soupy. French fries good... Almost left before saving grace. Strawberry pie and ice. Cream.. Apple pie great. Go for the pie.

1  Thank Stever516
There are newer reviews for Gap Diner Family Restaurant

Reviewed September 13, 2013

It is convenient if you are traveling on routes 30 or 41. I usually hold to the belief that its hard to get a bad breakfast.... This was not a bad breakfast it just was not good either. The sausage was bland to say the least, and the sausage gravy and biscuits that my companion ordered, although a heaping portion, was equally so-so.

1  Thank RogueSommelier
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The place looks like it hasn't been painted or cleaned since it was built. We were worried, but hungry. Isn't every place good in this area? So we thought... well, the food was ok. After reading the reviews, I guess we were lucky. Chicken croquettes were bland. Roast pork was fine, but covered in about a quart of not so good gravy. Service was good. Iced tea was dark and didn't have that fresh tea taste. Bread was bagged dinner rolls warmed up and served without a bread plate. Like another wrote, go across the street to McDonalds. Really. Seriously. Not kidding.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have to say this is one of the worst places I've eaten in a very long time. Avoid it! You're better off going to McDonald's! The staff isn't very friendly. They forgot to bring some of our meal. It's dirty. I shouldn't have been surprised since the parking lot only had 4 other cars. I will never go here again. I'd rather go hungry.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

OVERALL
We walked out of this restaurant and our first words were, "OMG! Can you believe how bad that was?!" "That s**ked!" Definitely the worst restaurant experience that we have had for some time, as in several years. Background: My wife and I are on a family vacation to the Dutch country of Pennsylvania with 10 and 13 year old girls in tow. We had just completed a day of activities and, being hungry, stopped on the spur of the moment at what appeared to be a small family eatery with a local clientele. The parking lot was empty at prime dinner time - 5ish - and we didn't pay attention to that, another clue that our brains were left back at our Bed & Breakfast.

FOOD
Four meals were ordered: 1) Amish Chicken Pot Pie (wife), 2) Pork & Sauerkraut Dinner (me), 3) Spaghett & Meatballs (10 year old), 4) Pancakes and Ham (13 year old).

Chicken Pot Pie
This was really chicken noodle soup with big, square noodles and big chunks of chicken. The waitress incormed us befodehand that it did not have a crust and came in a bowl. So it did. My wife thought that it would have a thicker base. When it arrived she picked at it and then moved it aside and did not eat it.

Pork & Sauerkraut
Served with a side of mashed potatoes. This dish was a train wreck! In fact, as I write this my stomach is actually in a state of upset and I am hoping does not worsen. The best part were the potatoes which seemed to come from a box and were passably prepared for such. The sauerkraut seemed ok but was entirely unremarkable. The pork serving was ample and served as thin slices. It was of poor quality cuts with considerable amounts of dark meat mixed with "white," gristle lines throug many pieces, and the white portions really came out as an unsightly grey. It was also had lots of fat that strung out when trying to be pulled apart, was white in appearance, and included many balls of fat in addition to lines in the meat or excess on the sides. The food was lukewarm and not at all hot. I finished the potatoes and sauerkraut but left most of the meat after realizing it was too much work to try and salvage the marginally edible pirtions.

Spaghetti & Meatballs
My daughter picked at this and then ultimately announced that she not want it. She stated that the meatballs didn't taste good. The 13 year old tried a meatball bite and said that she liked it, but when I tasted it I thought that it was not very good either and had a too smooth, overly processed texture to it. My impression was that they were a relatively small, low grade, commercial product.

Pancakes & Ham
This was the best meal of the lot. The pancakes were huge, so much so that we joked (in a good way) about them, and they actually had a pleasing taste. The ham slice was thick and sizable. This was a good meal and the fact that she didn't finish had everything to do with size and nothing with edibility. She was the only one who asked for a box to take her leftovers with her.

My wife and I has side salads served becore the meal. They were below average but not totally bad. They were sufficiently cool, consisted of iceberg lettuce only with one, single cherry tomato each. The leaves on mine were not brown but some were just short of it. My wife's had a few brown tinges.

VALUE
Prices were not bad at all ($8-$9 range for us) on the face but since bad food is not worth even a cheap cost this would have been rated a 1 for value excepting that one meal of the four was actually decent and had quite a low cost overall. I felt that it merited pulling the rating up by a solitary point - but barely!! I'm thinking more like a 1.5, but you can't score it that way.

SERVICE
This was the best part, though performance was mixed. Initial service was quick and we were seated immexiately in an acceptable booth and had our drinks on the table soon after. The salads and meals came out in reasonable times. Empty glasses sometimes lingered unfilled too long, and the waitresses seemed to spend their spare time sitting together and chatting and checking their cellphones. Our waitress was, in all cases, polite and accommodating.

ATMOSPHERE
As we walked into the foyer there was an odd smell, not a kitchen and food smell. It wasn't good. Inside the restaurant was clean and neat and our table was clean. It has the classic local diner appearance with a 50s-60s look, mostly because that's what it is and not due to any intentional decoration effort. I think that's fine. I love local diners. Overall, I found the appearance to be pretty appealing. We were, however, the only patrons in the restaurant. It was ready to go out and dance but had no one there for a date.

CONCLUSION
The terrible-to-just ok food, the heart and core of what a restaurant is about, followed up by barely average-to-poor other experiences combined to make this a notably bad experience.

1  Thank Dennis_Dio_Parker