“NOT Recommended!”

Cuisines: American
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
“NOT Recommended!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

When this restaurant first opened, it was very good. Since then it has been going steadily downhill. The last few times we went there, I kept saying we weren't going back because we were always disappointed. This was no exception.
We went this past weekend and it was the last straw. We were seated, drink order was taken and we waited quite awhile until another waitress stopped by and asked if we wanted drinks. We told her we had already given our order to another waitress. Shortly we got our drinks and placed our order. We went up to the salad bar and the lettuce looked like something that was pulled out of the field behind the restaurant. I asked if they had any other lettuce and the girl said no, that's all they had. I then pulled out a little bit of lettuce, went through the rest of the salad bar and sat down. She then came to our table and told me they were getting other lettuce. Really? If I'd have known that, I would've waited to get my salad! We began to eat and, out of nowhere, this loud awful sound, what I think was supposed to be music, came out of the speakers. We couldn't figure where it was coming from and then realized there was a party of sorts in a side room. It can only be described as extremely poor, karaoke type "music", and reminded me of what a honky-tonk bar would be like. It was so loud you couldn't hear across the table. This is not acceptable for a relaxing dinner on a Friday night. Perhaps for a local hole in the wall bar, but not for what you expect here.
We got our food. My mother's fried oysters were so overcooked and hard that you couldn't stab them with a fork. My "onion straws" for the fatty steak were not crispy, but very soggy. After a while the waitress (I think it was one of the owners) came and asked if everything was ok and I mentioned the oysters. She said she was wondering about them when she brought them out and did we want them to make more. I said yes, but we'd like them to go. If she knew the oysters were unacceptable, why not take care of it before serving them to customers? I guess it's because most people would not speak up and just take what they put on the plate. When the oysters were finally ready, I asked for "to go" boxes for the rest of the food so we could get out of there. At this point, I could barely stand to be in there another minute with the screeching coming from the other room. It might have been more tolerable if the noise was turned down a few hundred decibels.
I try to support local businesses but this is one place that I've given way too many chances. I've wasted too much money here!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank GrammieMae

“Good food”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Lovely old 18th century building that was renovated. Fast service, good food, reasonable prices. You will not be disappointed. They do serve alcohol and are open 7 days a week. Plenty of parking.

Visited January 2013
Glassboro, New Jersey
“Great little Find”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great food, relaxed atmosphere, very accommodating to my daughter is in a wheel chair. will definitely go back

Visited April 2013
Banbridge, United Kingdom
“What a Surprise Discovery!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our traveling party of five retirees (2 American, 3 British) had just completed a trans-Atlantic flight from Dublin to Philadelphia one weekday in March. We arrived dead tired and starving for some good, old American food! We were en route to our first hotel in York, and decided to stop here on a whim. I ran in and borrowed a menu for all to examine in the car first. Well, we decided to go in and give it a try -and were we ever glad that we did! You really can't tell a book by its cover in this case. The hour was late, but the waitress could not have been nicer or more accomodating. We were seated on the enclosed porch. She was interested in our accents, and asked about our impending trip through the middle-Atlantic states. This was a very nice touch, especially for the US first-time visitors in our group. Three ordered the turkey dinner with all the trimmings, one ordered the ham steak dinner, and I ordered eggplant parmesan. All of the meals really hit the spot, and had very large portions as well. We also had the soup and salad bar. The sweets looked fantastic in the glass case, but we just didn't have any more room so settled for coffee. This place was such a very nice surprise. The prices are very reasonable and the menu is quite extensive with something for everyone. We all highly recommend it to others traveling on route 30 in Gap. Note: the restaurant is very near the National Christmas Center.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank 16smiles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food in a great atmosphere”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Last weekend, we drove all the way to Lancaster just to find that our favorite restaurant there had a 1:30 wait, so instead we headed home and tried out Four Brothers Diner along the way. First of all, the building is one of those 18th century stone houses that has lined the Lincoln Highway since it was nothing more than a dirt trail. The original hearth and stonework are exposed inside, so if you are into history, this should be a neat place to visit (especially if you are from out of town and not used to seeing so many 18th century stone houses - in this area, they are EVERYWHERE, so we are sort of used to them.)

My buffalo chicken cheesteak was excellent, and my wife's Four Brothers Burger was excellent as well. We also got the soup & salad bar with our meal; the salad bar was smallish but had the usual stuff, though the lettuce looked a little questionable. The cream of crab soup though - OH MY DEAR LORD - I took one bite and closed my eyes in pure delight. It was that GOOD - like something you would pay $15 a bowl for at a nice restaurant in New York.

The waitress was very friendly, even when I was asking off the wall questions about the age of the building, etc. We gave her a good tip. The two of us got out of there tip and all for about $25.

The only observation I would make is that the layout of the place was a little awkward. The soup & salad bar were crammed in a little corner next to the checkout, which I thought was an odd choice. Also, while I said that the original stone hearth was exposed, it does have a bar built in front of it now, so if they ever wanted to add some extra ambiance to the place with it - perhaps put in ventless gas logs in or just decorating it to look "classic 18th century", they missed their opportunity. Also, I noticed that where we were sitting (which was originally the porch enclosed) there were space heaters in use because it apparently gets cold out there. One lady almost backed into a bright glowing orange heater, which could have been a lawsuit for sure if she got burned. So, I am not sure how well they thought out their design when they moved into the place.

All said, if we are in the area again and hungry, we would eat there again.

• Visited February 2013