“Merely OK”

Sheraton Great Valley Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frazer
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Getting to the verge of tacky. Chips and mildewed caulk in the tub. We dropped a jar and there was still broken glass under the sink 3 days later. Moved the hassock in front of the chair and the gap was full of dirt, papers, and junk. It had obviously never been moved to vacuum. The elevator access panel was covered with a cut up piece of cardboard. Nothing too major but it looks like the place is going downhill. It was friendly enough but even the group rate we had was too much given the condition.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 6, 2010

One night here was enough. i know Sheratons will vary, but this should be a Four Points. its old, beat up,not cheap, and they have a 24 hour cancel policy. Why would you have that unless you were desperate for income, especially out in the middle of nowhere?

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I got married at the Sheraton and had my reception there as well (April 2010). Scott and Karen were wonderful with helping us in all the planning. The day of the wedding, pretty much everything went smoothly and the decorations, food and ceremony room were fantastic! I'm so glad I picked the Sheraton for our wedding. I highly recommend to future couples! Jennifer from Exton, PA

Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank countrylvr23
SheratonGreatValley, Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with the staff, we look forward seeing you again.

Reviewed March 30, 2010

My partner had an event to attend at West Chester University on a Saturday night. As usual, I booked my room for this overnight stay using either Price Line or Hot Wire. As it turned out I got this hotel on Price Line for exactly half of the posted rates on all the usual hotel cites as well as the Starwoods cite. Once I found out the hotel I checked Trip Advisor and read all the reviews. I never posted a review before but though I should start because after seeing the property I feel that the reviews posted on Trip Advisor did not reflect the hotels quality at the time of our stay. Upon check in I asked if it was possible to upgraded to a Club Level room and my request was quickly and quietly granted. On the weekends the Club room doesn’t provide drinks or breakfast so the desk clerk gave us coupons for two drinks at the bar and free breakfast at the restaurant. Although upgraded to Club Level status our room was not on the Club level but on the second floor. It was a king studio. The bathroom was equipped with a whirlpool tub which I very much enjoyed. The room and bath were clean and well appointed with plenty of towels and bath products. A single brew coffee pot was in the room and Starbucks was the coffee brand supplied. We are coffee drinkers and I asked one of the maids if I could have a few more packs of coffee and they were quickly delivered to our room. During the course of the evening I used the hot tub and pool, both very nice. We had our free drink at the bar with a shrimp and calamari appetizer. The bar tender was very welcoming. We were attending an Olivia Newton-John concert and as it turned out she was also staying there. The bar tender told us of other stars who stayed there. The next morning we used our breakfast coupons in the hotel restaurant which gave us a free breakfast buffet. Eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, fruits, and Danish severed with a pot of coffee and orange juice. It couldn’t have been any nicer plus the two waitresses were very sweet.

I notice that the hotel got quite a few reviews which essentially said it was shabby and long in the tooth needing to be renovated. I didn’t find that to be the case at all. Although not a new facility it is well maintained and very presentable. I found it to be up to the Sheraton standard and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chiefcopper
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times already for both business and leisure purposes. It's in a convenient location and happens to be the only Starwood property in the area.

FIRST STAY:
There are 5 floors to this hotel. The elevator buttons indicate that the 5th floor is the club floor level and the 4th floor is a SPG preferred level. My stay was on the 3rd floor which was not on the SPG preferred level. When inquiring the front desk about receiving an upgrade or not for my stay, I was told that the rooms were full on that floor and that I did have an updated room that was essentially the same as the SPG floor rooms. (I would think that the SPG preferred rooms are better but I guess not) In any case, I checked in relatively late so I understood. The decor has been overhauled judging from past reviews but not the bed. The bed sank in the center. Luckily, we switched to the other double bed which was fine.

SECOND STAY:
Made it to the SPG preferred level room! Checking in earlier seemed to have helped. The front desk receptionist was right. The room was basically the same.

THIRD STAY:
Traveled with my husband and the kids. The swimming pool was highlight of our stay. The kids LOVED the pool. We ended up on the first floor this time so no upgrade was available I guess. The first floor was convenient as far as it being closer to the pool so it worked out. The room window looks out to the pool so the kids loved that as well. For dinner, we ordered room service. It was delivered later than the promised 30 minute window so we should've gotten the meal for free. Nope, that didn't happen.

With that said, the rooms and bathrooms were clean all three stays.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank nomofo
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Joined my husband on a business trip. Staff here were very friendly and service was good. Sadly the rest of the hotel did not match up. We had a club floor room but it desperately needed an overhall. The net curtains were badly torn and full of holes, one light had no bulb, another light had a broken shade, the bathroom floor was stained and the bathroom was tiny, the carpet was old and marked, the ceiling covered in 70's style pebble dashed panels, the paintwork was chipped and the wallpaper peeling. The internet cost $9.95 for 24 hours or more if charged to your room. The bedding appeared new and fresh, now the rest of the room needs sorting out. We ate both nights at Chesterfields, the bar. The first night the food was excellent, a simple meal but well done. The next night we found the food much poorer, perhaps a different chef or maybe we should have stuck to the burgers which were very good the previous night. I see from other reviews that some rooms have been refurbished so if you want to stay here it may be worth asking for one of these.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Karen0101
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I read the reviews and though I was determined not to stay here, I ended up staying one night due to my travel plans anyway.

I stayed in a newly renovated club room. Contrary to most of the negative reviews, I found the hotel OK. The "new" room still had a dirty window the bathtub needed new caulking, the desk chair would not raise up, and internet was really slow - but it was clean and convenient. The service was fine and people were very pleasant.

Given what seems to be a very limited choice of good hotels in the area, and for Philadelphia in general, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frazer
Hampton Inn Philadelphia/Great Valley/Malvern
Hotel Warner
#1 of 7 in West Chester
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Comfort Suites West Chester Exton

Been to Sheraton Great Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!