“Horrible.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frazer
Baltimore, Maryland
“Horrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My employer booked the Sheraton for my stay Jan 14-Jan18, 2014. I arrived at 10pm on the 14th. Upon my arrival, I was shocked by the dark dim lighting of the lobby and the outdated hotel decor but in any case continued to check in. I was greeted by the front desk rep, Asia, who took my credit card for my "$100 incidental fee, that would be refunded within 1-2days after checkout." I asked for a receipt for the charged fee and she assured me I could recieve that at check out as well. I proceeded to the only working elevator in the hotel up to the 5th floor to my room. I got off the elevator to what appeared to be a costruction zone, the wallpaper was removed, everything appeared to be in renovation. As I entered the room, I knew immediately that this room had not indeed been cleaned at all. The bed was unkept, the floors were stained, the bathroom was a disarray. Immediately I called the front desk to tell Asia there must be a mistake, as this room had not even seen housekeeping since the last customer checked out. She apologized and told me to come to the front desk as she would gladly move me to another room. I again took the only working elevator to meet Asia in the lobby, where she apologized for the condition of the room and offered me a gift card to the lounge for my troubles, I delcined but thanked her for the gesture. She gave me a room key to a second room, where I proceeded again to the only working elevator. This room was located also on the 5th floor construction zone. I entered the room to find it had been cleaned I presumed from just the looks of it. I began inspecting the room, where I found mold on the walls, the bathrooms had hair in them, the carpet was still stained, but at least the beds were made and I could just bear the stay for a night and hopefully transfer hotels in the morning. As I was very tired from my long drive, I pulled back the covers and sat on the bed. I began to itch almost immediately, and because of this I pulled the covers back even more to see the entire bed where there were stains of urine, blood, and more hairs all over the bedding. I found the hairs on the other bed as well. I was furious at this point, this was my second room and this was also the Sheraton with a reputation I would not expect to be dealing with such disgusting rooms. I called the front desk where another cust serv rep, Natalia, said she would check to see if they another room and call me back. I waited for her call for about 5mins, and then I called back. She told me there were no other rooms they could change me to, I asked her what am I supposed to do I can not sleep on soiled sheets and she replied that she was sorry but there was nothing else she could do. I took my luggage and went back to the front desk to speak with her. I asked her if she could please just get someone to change the sheets on the bed, as I had a 7am training to be at, by this time it was going on 1130p. She responded that there was no one from housekeeping and that she did not have access to the desk. I was so astonished, shocked and just outraged that the SHERATON was delivering this type of service. I saw what appeared to be a manager come from the back and quickly walked back into the office, leaving Natalia to deal with this issue alone. She continued to apologize and looked rather helpless, I felt sorry for her, but at the same time there was no way I could stay in that room! She finally offered to transfer me to another hotel, which initally I was very leary of. Not knowing where I was, if this type of hotel service was to be expected in this area, I began searching myself through reviews of the area hotels. She suggested the Holliday Inn Express in Exton which was about 10mins away, because everything in the immediate area was booked. She even offered to have a cab bring me. I declined, as I drove, but prior to allowing her to book me at the Holliday Inn I called the hotel and spoke with Libby, the front desk rep. I explained to her the horrific experience I was having and the apprehension of switching hotels, at this point I was ready to drive back to Maryland and tell my employer I would have to reschedule my training. Libby assured me their rooms were very clean and I would pleased with the hotel. I took a chance and had Natalia book me at the Holliday Inn Express in Exton, I figured anything was better than what I was dealing with at the Sheraton. As I waited on Natalia to complete the information for my staty at the Holliday Inn, I checked my account to see if they had even taken out the incidental fee as I had only been there maximum 2hours at this point. To my surpirse, I was deducted $116.22 from the Sheraton. I asked Natalia what was the additional $16.22 taken for, as Asia stated as well as my employer prior to my arrival that the hotel's policy was a $100 incidental fee. Natalia was unable to answer as to why there was an additional $16.22 taken, I could not understand this, but asked for a receipt because it was suspicious to me and she could not provide me with that either but said it would be removed in a day because I "never checked in". I was continuing to get more and more frustrated with this place and the inability to provide answers regarding their policies and standards. I left the Sheraton, arrived at the Holliday Inn Express and as soon as I walked in the door felt a breath of fresh air. The hotel was well lit, looked and smelled clean. Libby was right there with my room information ready to go. Entered the room to find a very clean hotel room. She even gave me a king bed on the excutive floor. The hotel manager from the Holliday Inn gave me hand written thank you card enclosed with a gift card to the Riverstone, a restaurant across the street. The next day I met with my employer and told them what happened the night before, the offered to put me up in the Marriott Courtyard, and I asked to stay at the Holliday Inn Express. I was so appreciative and happy with the customer service from this hotel. Needless to say, it is going on day 6 after this incident at the Sheraton and I still have not received my refund from the incidental fee. I will say that Asia and Natalia were both patient during the situation, but neither of them could resolve anything. They were given no options to keep me at the hotel, and had no resources to refer to. I think the management is poor for having a hotel so disgusting and not addressing these issues themselves instead having their front desk clerks deal with things they can not control. I spoke with a manager today about my incidental fee who stated he would call me back after looking into it.. still waiting. Please do not waste your time at this hotel, the area has a lot to offer as far as shopping and eating but this hotel is the pits. Not the Sheraton AT ALL.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Kmcguire0420
Brad S, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest -

Thank you for sharing your experiences about your stay at the Sheraton Great Valley in January. It is through thoughtful feedback such as yours that has and will allow us to make improvements to our facility and operation. I am extremely sorry and embarrassed for what you encountered during your visit. We strive to ensure that our high quality accommodations and cleanliness exist at all times that unfortunately did not take place on this occasion. Many steps have been taken so that this never happens again.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to gain your faith in us on a future visit.
Kind Regards,
Brad Swales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The staff was very friendly and constantly tried to accommodate the guests but the building was very outdated. There was constant problem with the elevator so most guest used the stairs.
The gym had been recently renovated and thus my favorite spot in the hotel for me.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor away from the elevator were quiet. No problems with loud guests during...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Loretta Z
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Hotel is very worn, lots of deferred maintenance -- noisy shower heads, marked up furniture, rugs soiled; lamps broken; AC outlets don't work; internet intermittent; this property has fallen mightily over the past several years but it appears that a "floor by floor" renovation is planned starting in the next week.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Frazer hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I only stayed there one night and it got the job done. The room was adequate with outdated furniture like the rest of the hotel which could use a renovation. As many others have already said on here the one elevator is broken so you have to wait forever for the other elevator so do yourself a favor and use the steps to make things quicker. My room was clean and the staff was very helpful. There was some mildew in between the tiles in the shower which could use some attention, but it was not a big deal to me as I was only there one night and it was not that noticeable.The hotel offers some good deals which include breakfast and tickets to area attractions so you may want to ask or look for them.

Room Tip: Join the Starwood Hotels Preferred Guest Club (it's free) and they'll put you in a better lo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel this past weekend for a wedding. It was a very big disappointment.

Pros: Staff was very attentive and friendly. The shuttle from the reception was prompt and very accommodating.
Cons: Mold, one working elevator.

I payed extra above the "wedding party" rate in order to get a premium room with a king sized bed. We checked into our room at 11pm and the first thing I noticed was a trash can sized air purifier sitting in the middle of our room. Odd. Then I noticed the the wallpaper was sagging around the ceiling. I looked behind the wallpaper and found black mold on the wall. I then noticed that the wallpaper was peeling away from the wall near the A/C unit. I looked at the wall and found a large amount of mold behind the paper. At the rug area, it was pure slimy blackness and smelled very musty.

We went to the front desk and were given a standard double bed room at the discounted rate, which was the original "wedding rate". So in reality, we received no real accommodation. The front desk staff were very understanding and friendly through this. However, that room should have NEVER been given to any customer. Also, only one elevator was working, which seems like an ongoing issue if you read the other reviews. To make up for this, all guests received free Wifi. Wow. I've stayed in several different hotels in the last few years and have never been charged for Wifi. It's 2013 Sheraton, get with it.

The other reviews were spot on. The hotel is OK, and is showing signs of age. The bar area is small but nice, however the staff seemed very overwhelmed and surprised with the number of customers following the weddings. This despite knowing in advance that the hotel was sold out and that there were several weddings staying in the hotel.

Someone from another wedding was staying at the Hampton Inn, which is right next door, and they had a great experience. I would recommend staying there if given the opprotunity.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Have been staying here a number of weeks. The staff at this Sheraton is very friendly and accommodating of many requests. However, the hotel is in need of serious renovations. There is only one working elevator and the rooms are in need of updating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over night for a wedding. The hotel was ok kind of outdated and could have been a little cleaner. We used the pool which was nice and being 9 months pregnant at the time the bed was surprisingly comfortable which is hard to find in hotels

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frazer
Hampton Inn Philadelphia/Great Valley/Malvern
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern
Hilton Garden Inn Exton / West Chester
Hotel Warner
Hotel Warner
#1 of 7 in West Chester
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Residence Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern

Been to Sheraton Great Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!