“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frazer
Deer Park, New York
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was a terrible experience. The original room we were given smelled of mold and mildew. It could be seen on the wall and ceiling. The second room we were given was not much better. We had asked for a top floor in the quiet area of the hotel and were given a second floor room with the hotel's air conditioning units right outside our window. You could hear the squeak through the window. The rooms have no refrigerators or microwaves. A refrigerator can be provided for a $15 fee but there are no microwaves available. We stayed as part of a large sports group and were nicely provided with a complementary breakfast but it was not worth it. The eggs tasted like water, the waffles were hard, the oatmeal was dried out and the coffee was watered down. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CSL47582

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Pretty bad actually. Dirty, dark, very average service. Really disappointing, and surprising that this hotel actually is a Sheraton. Starwood Hotels must be taking the Sheraton brand down market, which may be useful for us frequent travellers to bear in mind going forward. Must be better options around in a ten mile radius....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for failing to meet your expectations. The Hotel was previously renovated over a period of time. As a result, the style and décor in some of the rooms is in need of refurbishment. We are currently in the planning stages of making changes and look forward to updating the product in the older rooms and provide a consistent product throughout the hotel. I was most disappointed to learn you were not provided with the exceptional service typically provided by our staff members. Our staff genuinely cares about the guest experience. We will continue to work with our staff to ensure consistency in cleanliness and service delivery delivered to all of our guests. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly, please feel free to reach out to peggy.ogden@sheratongreatvalley.com at your convenience.

Peggy

Travelers are raving about these Frazer hotels

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was staying in Frazer for work and ended up at the Sheraton Great Valley. They seem to be doing some rennovations in the front as evidenced by the extensive amount of wires running through the parking lot that I nearly tripped over every morning/evening. The staff at the front desk are great- they were very accomodating when I asked to switch rooms. My original room was on the 5th floor across from the elevators and the door to the breakfast room. Why they would put someone in this room when there are others available, I do not know. Every morning at 6:30am the door to the breakfast room will be opening and slamming shut over and over again as people go in for breakfast. But as I said, the front desk were quick to put me in a room at the other end of the hall.
This hotel is right next to the entry ramp of a highway. My new room had a lot of street noise from the parking lot outside and the highway, but it was better than the breakfast room door. Location of rooms are important in this place. The room itself was ok- stain on the rug, moth flying around, and 2 of the sockets were missing from the desk. When I brought this up to the man at the front desk upon check out he smiled, thanked me for telling him, and then went on to the next guest. I'm willing to bet that room isn't being fixed.
The breakfast itself was great and the lady serving it was so nice and inviting. They have an indoor pool on site which is a nice size, and the onsite restaurant is historic and quaint. There is also an Outback practically in the same parking lot, so that was very convenient.
Overall, if you get a good room location and they fix the place up a bit, the Sheraton Great Valley is not a bad place to stay if you need to be in Frazer or Malvern.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Recently spent one night at the Sheraton Great Valley. This property has been here for quite some time, and although it has gone through some renovations, it is still nothing more than an average place. I imagine it's location is well suited for the business traveler and that is likely it's audience. The rooms are of average size and the bathroom is fine but nothing special.
The check in process was easy and pleasant. The staff was nice enough.
I did not visit the bar (Chesterfields) but saw that it was fairly busy for a hotel. They claim to have a wide selection of 90+ rated wines, which could make it nice.
I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and picked the buffet. I have to say that it was overall disappointing, with more items lukewarm at best. Your typical fare with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast and potatoes. Most lacked any seasoning. The coffee was good and the wait staff was very pleasant, even offering to make eggs to order or an omelet over the scrambled eggs. That was nice.
So, if you are just looking for a place to put your head down in this area, this place is fine. But nothing special in my book.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hello Delcomom - Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. We appreciate and value your feedback and for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Great Valley Hotel. I’m truly sorry to learn you were disappointed with the breakfast buffet both in the taste and that the food was not maintained at the correct temperature. Your comments were reviewed with the Chef and F & B Director to ensure the food quality and temperature is monitored daily to ensure our guests will be better served. Thank you for bring this to my attention. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to mention the pleasant service received by the staff, thank you. I look forward to sharing your comments with all of the service staff. We do hope when your travel plans bring you to this area again, you will choose to stay with us.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This otherwise pretty decent hotel is in dire need of an update. The rooms-- while not dirty, really-- are dreary and threadbare, and the carpets and upholstery are genuinely ready for replacement. The people are just fine, however, with the exception of a chilly, self-important evening receptionist (male), who creates a more negative impression than the hotel itself deserves. The breakfasts for our group were quite nice, the housekeeping is good, and the front desk staff (with the exception of Mr. Totally-Above-It-All, mentioned earlier,) were helpful and gracious. Redecorating the rooms would cause me to return, but I probably won't until that happens.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Hello MarilynTMilwaukee - I want to thank you first of all for staying with us and for taking the time to review the Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Previous hotel renovations occurred over a period of 4 years, with renovations to guest rooms on one floor each year. As a result, different floors and sections have décor from different designs and beginning to show wear. Our plans are to begin room renovations in the later part of 2013.

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed the breakfast. Thank you also for the kind comments on the cleanliness of the Hotel and the helpful, gracious front desk staff. I’m truly sorry to learn of the negative impression you received by one of our staff members. This is certainly unacceptable and I’m truly sorry that you experienced an encounter with any member of the staff that was anything less than warm and welcoming. Please accept my sincere apologies. I look forward to sharing your comments with all staff and assure you the less than acceptable encounter will be addressed.

If your travel plans bring you to our area again, I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you in the future. I promise a better experience.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right off the highway. If you have to be in Frazer, this is a convienent location. The lobby/bar area is very nice. The staff is very friendly. The rooms are small, and in need of an upgrade. They do offer a restaurant credit/Sheraton points for not getting your room cleaned (which I prefer) so that worked out well. I will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hello cmhcoop:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay our hotel. It is always great to hear when our guests appreciate the convenient location, friendly staff and have time to relax in our lobby lounge. Thank you also for participating in our Make a Green Choice Program, happy to learn you are taking advantage of the program and enjoy the extra loyalty points. Previous hotel renovations occurred over a period of 4 years time at the property, and we agree some of the rooms are in need of a refresh. We are currently in the planning stages of making changes. It is always nice to hear from our SPG Members and look forward to having you stay with us again….soon. Many Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

The service was very good and the building is quiet old and was not renovated lately. Breakfast was very good, excellent service and good eggs and room was clean.
The gym is fine; the pool is very small like all hotels.
There is a nice steakhouse nearby, food is OK and prices are cheap.
I recommend this hotel for those who have to stay in Frazer area.
The hotel met my expectations for cleanliness and was very true to the reviews and pictures online.
This is a quirky Sheraton to be sure, quite old fashioned in style and a little scuffed round the edges but it is always clean and cosy and has a great team of staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Yap661

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Sheraton Great Valley Hotel. We are very pleased to hear your kind comments about the excellent service, clean room and that you enjoyed the breakfast. I especially want to thank you for recognizing our great team of staff. Our team members truly enjoy servicing our guests. I’m so happy to hear you were served well. We are not typical in design and décor and yes a little old fashioned. Our restaurant was built in 1825 and very much replicates Historical Chester County in décor, adding to the charm of the property with the standards, conveniences and amenities you would expect of a Sheraton Hotel. Some of the guest rooms are in need of a refresh and are currently in the planning stages and hope to complete this work soon.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and experience and look forward to your return.

Peggy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frazer
Hampton Inn Philadelphia/Great Valley/Malvern
Hilton Garden Inn Exton / West Chester
Hampton Inn Exton
Hampton Inn Exton
#2 of 8 in Exton

Been to Sheraton Great Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!