“Perfectly average hotel”

Sheraton Great Valley Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Frazer
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Recently spent one night at the Sheraton Great Valley. This property has been here for quite some time, and although it has gone through some renovations, it is still nothing more than an average place. I imagine it's location is well suited for the business traveler and that is likely it's audience. The rooms are of average size and the bathroom is fine but nothing special.
The check in process was easy and pleasant. The staff was nice enough.
I did not visit the bar (Chesterfields) but saw that it was fairly busy for a hotel. They claim to have a wide selection of 90+ rated wines, which could make it nice.
I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and picked the buffet. I have to say that it was overall disappointing, with more items lukewarm at best. Your typical fare with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast and potatoes. Most lacked any seasoning. The coffee was good and the wait staff was very pleasant, even offering to make eggs to order or an omelet over the scrambled eggs. That was nice.
So, if you are just looking for a place to put your head down in this area, this place is fine. But nothing special in my book.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hello Delcomom - Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. We appreciate and value your feedback and for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Great Valley Hotel. I’m truly sorry to learn you were disappointed with the breakfast buffet both in the taste and that the food was not maintained at the correct temperature. Your comments were reviewed with the Chef and F & B Director to ensure the food quality and temperature is monitored daily to ensure our guests will be better served. Thank you for bring this to my attention. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to mention the pleasant service received by the staff, thank you. I look forward to sharing your comments with all of the service staff. We do hope when your travel plans bring you to this area again, you will choose to stay with us.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This otherwise pretty decent hotel is in dire need of an update. The rooms-- while not dirty, really-- are dreary and threadbare, and the carpets and upholstery are genuinely ready for replacement. The people are just fine, however, with the exception of a chilly, self-important evening receptionist (male), who creates a more negative impression than the hotel itself deserves. The breakfasts for our group were quite nice, the housekeeping is good, and the front desk staff (with the exception of Mr. Totally-Above-It-All, mentioned earlier,) were helpful and gracious. Redecorating the rooms would cause me to return, but I probably won't until that happens.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Hello MarilynTMilwaukee - I want to thank you first of all for staying with us and for taking the time to review the Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Previous hotel renovations occurred over a period of 4 years, with renovations to guest rooms on one floor each year. As a result, different floors and sections have décor from different designs and beginning to show wear. Our plans are to begin room renovations in the later part of 2013.

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed the breakfast. Thank you also for the kind comments on the cleanliness of the Hotel and the helpful, gracious front desk staff. I’m truly sorry to learn of the negative impression you received by one of our staff members. This is certainly unacceptable and I’m truly sorry that you experienced an encounter with any member of the staff that was anything less than warm and welcoming. Please accept my sincere apologies. I look forward to sharing your comments with all staff and assure you the less than acceptable encounter will be addressed.

If your travel plans bring you to our area again, I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you in the future. I promise a better experience.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right off the highway. If you have to be in Frazer, this is a convienent location. The lobby/bar area is very nice. The staff is very friendly. The rooms are small, and in need of an upgrade. They do offer a restaurant credit/Sheraton points for not getting your room cleaned (which I prefer) so that worked out well. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Hello cmhcoop:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay our hotel. It is always great to hear when our guests appreciate the convenient location, friendly staff and have time to relax in our lobby lounge. Thank you also for participating in our Make a Green Choice Program, happy to learn you are taking advantage of the program and enjoy the extra loyalty points. Previous hotel renovations occurred over a period of 4 years time at the property, and we agree some of the rooms are in need of a refresh. We are currently in the planning stages of making changes. It is always nice to hear from our SPG Members and look forward to having you stay with us again….soon. Many Thanks!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The service was very good and the building is quiet old and was not renovated lately. Breakfast was very good, excellent service and good eggs and room was clean.
The gym is fine; the pool is very small like all hotels.
There is a nice steakhouse nearby, food is OK and prices are cheap.
I recommend this hotel for those who have to stay in Frazer area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hello Yap661

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Sheraton Great Valley Hotel. We are very pleased to hear your kind comments about the excellent service, clean room and that you enjoyed the breakfast. I especially want to thank you for recognizing our great team of staff. Our team members truly enjoy servicing our guests. I’m so happy to hear you were served well. We are not typical in design and décor and yes a little old fashioned. Our restaurant was built in 1825 and very much replicates Historical Chester County in décor, adding to the charm of the property with the standards, conveniences and amenities you would expect of a Sheraton Hotel. Some of the guest rooms are in need of a refresh and are currently in the planning stages and hope to complete this work soon.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and experience and look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We are staying in this hotel right now due to a basketball tournament in the area. We live less than 2 hours away and decided to try Priceline and named our own price and received a super last minute deal. Most of my travel is business related so Priceline isn't normally an option. Check-in was a breeze and the desk clerk was super-friendly!

This hotel is older, but has classic charm. I didn't expect much booking through PL, so when we got into our first room, #220 I almost didn't call the desk...there was a distinct musty smell. I tried opening the window, but the A/C kept the smell alive. Michael from the desk cheerfully bought us keys to the room next door, and checked it first, but found it to also smell slightly musty. He said it must be due to the indoor pool being directly below. I must say this is the first hotel that actually brought keys to another room up to us - whenever it has been necessary to change rooms; we have always had to drag everything downstairs to the front desk. Michael then went back downstairs and promptly returned with yet another set of keycards to a room on the other side of the hall - he checked this room first too and it was just fine. Not only that, but he included two breakfast buffet passes for our trouble. Now that's customer service! We are also SPG Rewards members, so I will forward kudos to them on Michael's behalf.

The indoor pool is very nice with skylights and a spa and the workout room is open 24/7. There are several dining options on site and an Outback Steakhouse is just across the driveway, walking distance. We come to the area once in a while (stayed in the Hampton Inn next door in the past) and really enjoy Mino Sushi – give them a try – just go left out the driveway and it is a few miles on the left just past the CVS in a small strip mall.

The room we have is a basic two double-beds room with a very large desk, flat screen TV, decent size bathroom and lots of space to move around. Since my daughter’s next game isn’t until 3:00 pm tomorrow – they also were able to give us a late check-out!

There are so many hotels competing for the traveler’s dollar, most are very similar, but when there is exemplary service it really makes the difference. Thanks Sheraton Great Valley & Michael! We will be back - Priceline or not!

Room Tip: Rooms above the pool tend to smell musty.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CindyC77
pogden, General Manager at Sheraton Great Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Hello CindyC77 - Thank you for taking the time to write your review and rating the Sheraton Great Valley Hotel. It is always a pleasure to share the positive comments such as you have noted on the charm of our hotel, the spacious room, pool, fitness center, dining options and for recognizing the friendly, cheerful service provided by our staff members, especially Michael. We pride ourselves on our staff and the service they provide to our guests. I’m truly sorry to hear you were inconvenienced by having to move your room upon arrival. We are currently working in rooms on the first floor, pool side, that may have caused an odor in the rooms located on the second floor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience. I’m very happy to hear Michael took every measure to ensure you were satisfied with your accommodations. We look forward to your future stays with us. Hopefully soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel met my expectations for cleanliness and was very true to the reviews and pictures online. It's a little more old fashioned than a standard Sheraton, but gives you a good feel for the Colonial history of the area.

Staff were very friendly and helpful - they provided great recommendations for local dining as well as a recommendation for a car services from the airport in Philadelphia (saved me over $30 from standard taxi prices, with much nicer service). They also have a shuttle for local transportation and specifically for transportation to the Siemens Headquarters in Malvern.

There is a restaurant and bar in the location, but I didn't eat there (prices were a little steep although the menu looked good).

There is also a nice looking, indoor pool, but I didn't have a chance to try it out.

Tip: Traffic on the weekday mornings can be a little backed up so plan accordingly.

Tip#2: inquire about internet rates at the time of check in. The literature in the room and on the website indicates $12.95 per day but internet was included free with my rate. If I had known prior to checkout I would have used the internet much more.

They also provide several computers with free internet access, including web cameras, in the business center, but be warned the business center is in the bar area, so there is a distinct lack of privacy if you wanted to skype with someone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Hello Wildiris117: It is great to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your comments and feedback on the Sheraton Great Valley Hotel. The hotel built with the intent to incorporate the charm of Chester County by attaching two historical buildings at the entrance of the Hotel. We are a little old fashioned, with the conveniences of a modern hotel. I’m thrilled to hear you appreciated the feel for the history of the area.

We take great pride in our staff and the friendly service they provide, thank you for mentioning they were very friendly. It is always nice to hear when they are recognized. I’m sorry to learn you were not informed that internet was included in your room rate. This information will be shared with the staff and easily remedied to ensure this is communicated upon arrival for future.

Thank you again and hope you will continue to choose to stay at the Sheraton Great Valley Hotel when you return to our area.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a quirky Sheraton to be sure, quite old fashioned in style and a little scuffed round the edges but it is always clean and cosy and has a great team of staff. I have stayed here a few times for work and it is very comfortable and welcoming, the pool is a good size, beds very comfy and the shuttle bus very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevator and not overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Familycat022

Hello Familycat022 - Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed comments and observations about your most recent stay with us. Especially happy to hear you have stayed here a few times, thank you for choosing to stay at our location when you travel to our area. We agree, a little old fashioned and a little scuffed in some areas but are working to remove the scuffs. It is so kind of you to recognize our great team of staff. They are an asset to the Hotel and it is greatly appreciated when our guests acknowledge the great service provided and the clean and cozy accommodations. We look forward to having you visit us again, soon.

Warm Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Frazer
Hampton Inn Philadelphia/Great Valley/Malvern
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Hampton Inn Exton
Hampton Inn Exton
#2 of 9 in Exton

Been to Sheraton Great Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!