“Consistently Good Food/Service”

Dining options: Reservations
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Consistently Good Food/Service”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This place is an enigma. The location is unassuming, parking is difficult, little if any advertising, yet it's always busy, and if you talk to anyone in the E Chester County area and ask where they prefer to have Chinese food, most would say The Mandarin. It has what you would expect and not expect from an Asian restaurant. Absent are the gaudy dragons and Budas, gone as well is the noisy chatter and bustle of waiters and other staff. Present is the quiet polite manner of the staff, and the muted but elegant décor. The quiet is occasionally interrupted by a soft gong which is struck to announce an order of Peking Duck emerging from the kitchen.

The cuisine here is always well prepared and attractively adorned when presented to you. I think I've had just about everything on the menu and have never once been disappointed. Before we left for our winter vacation I ordered my favorite, the whole fish - no matter how you ask them to prepare it, it's the bomb. So go out of your way to find it. It's worth it.

• Visited January 2014

Islamorada, Florida
“Best Upscale Chinese! Not your average”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

If you want an amazing food experience try this restaurant. Their prices are higher then the normal Chinese but the food is not your normal Chinese fair. The fish and meat are fresh and not frozen. Their menu is filled with unique items. Some are hand served by your waiter. Try the mango chicken. Make sure to tell them your spice preference.

1 Thank Cindywe22
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful as usual”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I have been going here for years. Recently we were accompanied by former neighbors who have retired to Florida. Their having been to Margaret Kuo's when living here, led them to request that we dine there.
All four of us found the entire menu to be as authentic as on our past visits. To evaluate the overall quality, we all ordered different appetizers, soups. and entrees. All were delicious, and left us totally satisfied with all of the choices.
You can't miss should you choose this wonderful Asian restaurant located on Lancaster Ave. in Frazer / Malvern Pennsylvania.

• Visited December 2013
Exton, PA
“Best Chinese Food in Chester County”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

There are a few other good Asian restaurants in Chester County but they tend to be more Asian fusion. This one is standard Chinese food (although I believe they also have sushi). We've eaten here for years and never had a bad meal. I'm not a big fan of egg drop soup but theirs is amazing with a delightful woody taste to it. The Peking Duck is always a treat as is just about everything else we've ever ordered. My only complaint is that the take out desk is sometime overwhelmed on weekends and at least once, I had to wait 30-45 min. after the time they told me it would be ready. But the sit down restaurant is excellent. I'm from the NYC area and am used to good Chinese food. This is often hard to find in the exurbs but Margaret Kuo's Mandarin is a place that doesn't disappoint.

• Visited June 2013
“Fine Chinese but not good for large family party”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

It was solid Chinese food. Can't complain. I asked for some accommodation for my young children and server said No. No effort there. As we were there for family party to celebrate someone's birthday, we had nice private room which was great. I just wouldn't do that again since my kids were hungry and even simple requests weren't allowed. Our leftovers were satisfying but we can have better, local, Chinese for less. The scallion pancakes were incredible. Parking was no problem.

• Visited September 2013