“Clean but noisy at times and needs update”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia/Great Valley/Malvern
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Frazer
Toronto, Canada
“Clean but noisy at times and needs update”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Upon arrival the parking lot had many spots and the exterior of the hotel looked fine. The lobby area was nice but checkin took time. A group of us arrived and although initially there were 2 people behind the counter one disappeared which slowed up things. The person was friendly enough.
The hallway was clean. When I went to my room at 4:30pm, the cleaning crew were still tending to adjacent rooms. I thought they were quite noisy chatting in the hallway and letting the doors slam. Not very considerate in my view. All was quiet when we came back from dinner although some colleagues that were on the floor above mentioned loud conversations from the hallway in the middle of the night.
The room itself was clean but I noticed holes in the curtains and the door of the panel on the heating unit was broken. There was a thermostat on the unit and on the wall which was confusing as they both seemed to be active. The one on the unit was the functioning one. The television was tube style but had an acceptable picture. The bathroom was fine. The bed was comfortable and I slept well.
The free breakfast was typical fare and was fine.

Room Tip: Get one away from elevator.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mass
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Overall I found this hotel to be clean enough, one of the first things I look for, however this isn't always enough. This hotel seems to specialize in hosting sports teams who are in town for tournaments (mostly kids in their teens). The first time we stayed there this was not an issue. However, for this last stay we were placed on the same floor with some of the kids who were apparently unchapperoned. It is beyond me why the hotel would put regular guests on the same floor with the "team" guests, but they did. The kids in the room next door kept us up until 4 a.m. after speaking to them ourselves 3 times and having security visit them once.

I did suggest to the front desk upon check out that they make more of an effort in the future to segregate the guests better and was told "it was difficult as they were hosting 3 different teams at once" but she was going to mention it to the sales staff. I'm sure it's a great value for the teams but I won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vacationdreamer
Atlanta
Reviewed February 8, 2011

On my first visit (I've stayed here at least 5 times), my colleague suggested we find another location in the future. He complained of a leaky air conditioner. I've found the hotel frequently falls flat on its face when it comes to the basics such as the breakfast buffet; running out of plates, coffee, forks. These are things that no hotel should ever run out of. The worst was the time when I arrived to find my bed had not been made. I was actually OK with that because they had finally given me new towels, or so it appeared. I had left the towels on the floor to be exchanged. The next morning I noticed the towel was a bit moist. Upon unravel, I notice the blood stain from the day before from when I cut myself shaving. A complaint to management led to nothing. Calls to management led to nothing. Finally calling corporate led to a free stay at any Hampton, no, not points, I couldn't stay anywhere but Hampton. Not much in the compensation department. If you don't have to stay here...don't. I have several other stories about this hotel, just not enough space. There are better options.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We reserved several rooms. When we walked into our room the odor was soooooooo bad we couldn't stand to be in it. The mold was so bad - others came into the room and all agreed to ask to be moved.
The staff was very accomodating. The next room was better but still smelled of mold. The air conditioning units in the rooms cool the air but do not take humidity out of the air. The room was cool and damp the entire time. We had several rooms at the hotel and they all smelled of mold - some worse than others but all of them were unacceptable. I'd like the Hampton Inn CEO to stay here one night and see if he'd find the rooms acceptable. Even our clothes remained damp while we stayed here. I even tried a room freshener but it didn't touch the odor! I think they need to renovate the rooms and do some major mold control.
On the other side, the staff was wonderful - they assisted us throughout our stay. It's not their fault the building needs renovation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DenverPine
Reviewed September 4, 2010

This is only the second Hampton Inn I've stayed at. The first was a disaster and I have avoided them for years. Overall, I was impressed by what Hilton has done with the rooms since my stay years ago. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and quiet.

I continue to be amazed that hotels continue to put the work desk right next to the ac unit. This Hampton Inn is worst than most in that there is no way to sit anywhere at the desk without the unit blowing directly on your entire body.

The breakfast was ok, not up to Courtyard or Embassy Suites standards. Limited selection. The breakfast area is way too small for this hotel. People were eating at the couches and anywhere else they could find a place. The breakfast area was also not clean at all. Sticky spills had been covered with napkins so that the next person could eat. There is obviously a practice of not doing any cleaning at all until breakfast is completely done.

The only reason to stay at this hotel is if you get a great deal and care more about sleeping than anything else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 31, 2010

The lobby of this property has been updated, but the rooms (or at least MY room) was 20+ years old. I was upgraded to a suite, which was nice, but the room had a funky smell (the staff nicely brought me Febreeze, which didn’t fix the problem). Breakfast is what you expect, nothing special, but it seemed the attendant had a hard time keeping things stocked.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I am extremely dissapointed in the service and quality of the facilities of this Hampton Inn. At check in time (4:00) the rooms had not been cleaned by 4:00 even though check-in time is 3:00. I had to wait until they could jockey rooms to be registered. Upon entrance into the designated room, we discovered it had not been cleaned. One of the cleaning people had to return our key and find us a clean room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frazer
Sheraton Great Valley Hotel
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Hampton Inn Exton
Hampton Inn Exton
#2 of 8 in Exton
Home2 Suites by Hilton Downingtown Route 30
Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia/Great Valley/Malvern? Share your experiences!