“Great and Clean!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Franklin
Toronto, Canada
“Great and Clean!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed at the room on the ground level with a king-size bed for a night. The room was spacious and clean. It had a small dining table with two chairs, as well as a comfort chair. There was an additional sink outside the bathroom, which was a great idea! The bed was a bit soft for me, but I was used to hard mattress. There were the typical cable channels available on a tube tv. Some channels were snowy.

The manager was very helpful in providing directions. Free local maps were available.

Breakfast was included from 6-9am. There were waffle, toast, cereal, banana, apple, tea and coffee. Almost everybody went for the waffle - you made your own with the pre-mix batter coming out from a machine. There was one waffle machine and there could be line up if you go late on a weekend morning.

There were a couple of restaurants and a K-mart very close to the motel, and there were more options in town, which was just a short drive away. There were also some restaurants in Oil City, about 10 miles north. Oil Creek State Park was a short drive also.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, definitely ask for rooms on the ground floor as we checked out a room upsta...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kutepanda
, Manager at Knights Inn Franklin, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thanks! for have a super stay at super i8 motel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Maumee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

The place seemed very inviting so my wife and I stopped for the evening. We got a non-smoking room, but everything smelled of cigarette smoke with a bad mix of other odors (bed, bathroom, carpet, guest room). We asked for a different room but they said the only other room they had available was smoking. Also the wireless internet was extremely slow. Connecting was not an issue, but the speed was very slow. I'm not sure if it was because a lot of guests were using it at the same time. It did not bother us too much but we do like to keep in touch with our family through e-mail. Breakfast was stale so we decided to find an eatery in the area. If it wasn't for the smoke odor, the stay would have been reasonable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert M
Pittsburgh PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

We checked into this motel for Applefest in Franklin PA. The toilet in the bathroom was stained so yellow it looked like there was still urine in it even after you flushed. One of the beds had brown specks (almost looked like crumbs of feces) all over the fitted sheet and I called the front desk to have them replace it. I would never stay here again and only remained here because it was so late and the kids were tired. Definitely not worth the hundred bucks I paid.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank E S
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I pulled into this sad, lonely old motel just after 9:00pm on a weekend evening to find the front desk completely unmanned and a phone sitting there on the counter (Warning Sign #1). I picked up the phone and told the manager that I wanted to check in. After a few minutes, he wandered in through the back door, quiet and unsmiling, and started to process my reservation.

I had already booked a room in advance online using my corporate account, and was soon asked for some ID by the manager -- not my driver's license, mind you (which he already had in his hand), but for a CORPORATE ID to "prove" that I deserved this rate. (Warning Sign #2)

Now, I've stayed in a lot of hotels in my life, and have used my corporate rate more times than I can count, but this is the first and only time I've ever been asked to prove it. So I dug out my work badge -- which even has my picture on it -- and this guy (growing unfriendlier by the second, and with his voice rising at me) proceeds to say, "No, that's not it. I need your ID for this rate."

At this exact moment, my brain was starting to inwardly scream at me, "Walk away from this jerk and don't look back," but then I was also simultaneously thinking, "This guy already has my credit card info on the reservation, so if I walk out that door, I guarantee I'm going to get charged for this stay." So after arguing with him for another few minutes, I begrudgingly continued with the booking -- albeit at the AAA rate (which was about $10 more than my corporate rate). I just couldn't believe that this guy was putting up a fight over $10 -- and after I had already shown his my corporate ID, no less.

I then exited the lobby and returned to my vehicle, pulling the car around the back of the motel where my room was located. And (I kid you not), I could see the manager WATCHING ME through the front window of his home, which was located on the hillside immediately behind the motel. You want to talk about making a guest feel unwelcome -- he was standing there in his window, arms folded, watching me like I was a criminal or something. Unbelievable.

The room itself was pretty nondescript. The doorway into the room from the hallway was extremely narrow, which made me wonder if this property was used for some other purpose than a hotel at some point in its existence. Oddly enough, there were two sinks in the room -- one in the bathroom, and another in the bedroom area itself. The bed and sheets were old and pretty worn out, although appeared to be clean. I immediately closed the drapes on the glass doorwall, for fear that the manager was going to spend his whole evening observing me from his house.

When I checked out the next morning, the same manager checked me out -- and again, was nowhere to be found when I walked into the lobby and approached the front desk. Maybe I just keep weird hours, but I would think that checking in at 9:00pm and checking out at 8:00am would yield the common courtesy of a staffed front desk, rather than having the manager sitting in his own home, waiting to be summoned down to work.

For the rate I paid (even if I would've received my corporate rate), this was still an overpriced stay. This is a $50 a night place at best -- and I wouldn't return here for any amount of money, given the experience I had here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Akron, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed here one night after driving around all day and not seeing any other good places to stay. The room was cheap and very basic. It was clean enough. Most of the other guests seemed to be construction workers, I saw them in the parking lot in the morning. The breakfast bar didn't have much, I went into town to get breakfast. There is an OK restaurant nearby that you can walk to, that's where I had dinner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed here while visiting family in the area. It's a lower-priced hotel and is older and tired. But there's not many options in the area (2 hotels in Franklin and 3 B&B's).
Bedding and towels were clean, carpet and bedspread were tired but acceptable. Bathroom was acceptable - some mold above the shower but the shower itself was clean. The doors were not acceptable - front door did not latch unless you pushed hard on it and sliding glass door to the parking lot wouldn't slide and wouldn't latch. The door was so hard to slide that my 15yo son thought it was locked and my wife couldn't get it closed. The latch didn't engage the door correctly. There was a hole drilled through the door to put a pin to lock it, but the pin was missing.
Breakfast was just apple juice, milk, 2 dry cereals, toast, rolls, and fruit (one morning there was only a single banana out). Nothing special.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

I booked this hotel to anticipate a stay in June. I called a week in advance to cancel the reservation because I knew I couldn't make the stay. I received my credit card statement a month later and was charged a one night stay from the hotel. After speaking with the General Manager of the hotel who told me I did not cancel (which I know I called and did) I was referred to Super 8 Customer Service which was HORRIBLE. Neither the customer service deparment (including management of the customer service department) nor the hotel management was empathetic in any way. I was told by the customer service department that my stay was cancelled by the hotel as a no call/no show and without a cancellation number there was nothing they could do. I even had issues with the management saying she was at the presidential level and I could not take my concern any further- she was the top of the chain. No apologies were expressed to me even though customer service said the "hotel said I was a no show". It was almost as if it was my word against the hotel's. So the concept of "the customer being right" is not even considered with this hotel chain. I then did some research myself and called the coroporate communications department to express my concerns that I have with the customer service department AND the entire situation and was told someone would "reach out to me" but it is now 4 days later and I still have not heard anything. The principal of the matter is I know I called to cancel the hotel reservation. If I'm going to these lengths to have my voice heard, then a simple phone call to cancel a stay when I knew I wouldn't be able to make it is a drop in the hat. In all of my travels, I have never, ever, experienced such lack of customer service and professionalism with a company. A charge of a one night stay has cost this company for me to never book my personal travels or business travels with their hotel chain/group again.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mandynnn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franklin
Days Inn Oil City Conference Center
Quality Inn and Conference Center
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Titusville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Franklin-Oil City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 1 in Cranberry Township
Holiday Inn Express Meadville
Mayor Lord's House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Knights Inn Franklin? Share your experiences!