“Peace, Quiet and Good Air Conditioning. 0 For 3”

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fort Washington
Cleveland, Ohio
“Peace, Quiet and Good Air Conditioning. 0 For 3”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

As a business traveler, there are corporate standards to which every HGI is supposed to adhere, and this one is no exception. So for this, they get the three of five minimum.

The facility seems to go above and beyond for those guests with special needs. Both the pool and hot tub come with lifts for those with physical disabilities. The bathrooms/showers are of average, but not above and beyond, compatibility with needs for those who are physically disabled.

The grounds, overall, are nice. There is an outdoor patio area which is a nice touch. The lobby decor is contemporary and looks well.

The exercise facility conforms to HGI standards, but is small. floor exercise space for more than two people is a challenge. The guest office equipment is up to date. The room is well equipped. The fact that you can actually remove hangers from the closet rod is appreciated. The hotel wi-fi is sufficient.

All of this makes this hotel, on a weekday, a perfectly acceptable stay. For those who have things to do around, but not necessarily in, Philadelphia this is a nice location. It is certainly a better alternative than the Holiday Inn up the street which shows it's age.

$9.95 is a more competitive price for the breakfast than at most other HGIs. I wouldn't pay it, but it's not too terrible overall. Considering your walking distance options are a convenience store and Friendly's, you could be worse off.

But every hotel has it's drawbacks, and this one is no exception.

The bed is an HGI standard but feels old and did not adjust well. This means if you like and/or depend on a soft bed for your back, you are at a disadvantage.

The shower is adequate for persons of height but not size. Hot water availability can be erratic after peak morning shower times.

The air conditioner in our unit emitted a musty smell that permeated the room for the duration of our stay. The unit was also underpowered overall. This leads me to believe that maintenance may be lacking a bit.

From an appearances standpoint, the carpeting looked and felt to be the bare minimum necessary to avoid walking on the bare floor underneath.

Service is amicable but not overly helpful.

There are three luggage carts, so if you're trying to check in or out during peak times, I wish you luck in finding one. (Though, in fairness, why are you traveling with more than you can carry or wheel out anyway?)

The elevators are not placed well and difficult to find. In fact, the entire first floor, once you get beyond the lobby, is poorly designed. You'll spend your first evening trying to sort out where the elevators, pool, exercise room and meeting rooms are located. Do not accept a room on the first floor in the 140s at all, or the 130s if there is an event taking place.

The between room soundproofing is poor. I expect bleed through of noise from the hallways, but not between rooms. This was a consistent issue over the course of our stay. Normal adult conversation level talk could be heard in the rooms surrounding us, which leads me to my last point.

It is difficult to blame a hotel for it's guests, and I try not to. However, understand that this hotel has two sizable meeting rooms on the first floor which means that frequently, on weekends, there are events. Event guests, particularly for weddings and family reunions with an abundance of kids, make a significant amount of noise and generally disregard the fact that there are other guests. The second time police were called to our floor it became evident that it was going to be a difficult weekend stay due to noise (which translates as a deficiency in between room soundproofing as stated above).

For a business stay, during the week, this is your best option in the area. It is immediately off the turnpike and pretty centrally located. It is of average price/value. I would avoid this property on the weekends during peak travel season, however, because of the event bookings as it fails the criteria in the title.

Room Tip: Do not, under any circumstances, stay on the first floor. If you are in rooms in the 130 range you a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cromartie
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear cromartie:
Thank you for your comments with regard to your resent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Fort Washington. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We too agree that our hotel is in a central location.
We are so sorry about the noise you experienced during your stay from guests that were attending an event at the hotel. In instances like this, that’s the price we pay when having banquet facilities on-site.
I’m also so sorry you didn’t get a good night’s sleep on our Garden Sleep System bed. Were you aware it is adjustable to your personal setting? The dial is on the side of the bed. We encourage our front desk staff to tell you about the bed dial at check in. Next time you stay with us, please ask about it. We think it will be one of the best night’s sleep you’ve ever gotten!
Hope to see you again soon.
Thanks,
Shaheerah Bey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Manheim, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently stayed her for a wedding at a local country club, the place was very clean with friendly help and nice sized rooms, it is conveniently located right off the PA turnpike. We had a nice Quiet room at the back of the motel with just trees and grass outside our window, a very busy motel but not noisy at all.
They have a lobby bar that's open til 2AM on the weekends and very reasonable priced drinks!
Breakfast although not a freebie was modestly priced for an all you can eat buffet with made to order omelets and eggs, and fresh waffles.
Great service and great food, you can also get lunch and dinner in the lobby cafe.
Check in and check out were very quick and easy, an if you are a Hilton honors guest there are some freebies that are included at check-in I look forward to returning if I need a motel in this area again..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Patraveler032:
Thank you for your gracious comments regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Fort Washington. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am also happy to hear you found the breakfast buffet and lobby bar to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Fort Washington in the not too distant future…safe travels.
Hospitably Yours, Shaheerah Bey
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night to attend a friend's wedding. Check in went really smoothly - the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. They even called to check in once we settled into the room.

The room was very large with a bed, chair and ottoman, desk with chair, large closet, TV, microwave, coffee maker and fridge. The bathroom was clean and had the standard toiletries included. My only complaint is that the mattress was very hard and the pillows were very soft.

There was a nice bar in the lobby, though we didn't have a chance to spend any time there. The hotel was very quiet, nicely decorated and there was more than adequate parking.

We paid $104 plus tax.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Poketlynnt:
Thanks so much for staying with us during your visit to the Fort Washington area while attending your friend’s wedding. We are so please that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our team members.
I’m so sorry to hear that our Garden Sleep System bed was not to your liking. Were you aware it is adjustable to your personal setting? The dial is on the side of the bed. We encourage our front desk staff to tell you about the bed dial at check in. Next time you stay with us, please ask about it. We think it will be one of the best night’s sleep you’ve ever gotten!
Thanks again for the kind words and we really hope to see you the next time you are in Fort Washington!
Sincerely, Shaheerah Bey
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is my third visit this year. I love this hotel. It is a busy business hotel but the rooms are clean and quiet.

The beds are comfortable and the breakfast is outstanding (they make great banana chocolate chip waffles just ask for them). Fantastic service. The facilities are up to date, clean and attractive. They just redid the lobby making it a comfortable place to stop and catch your breath.

It is tricky to get into from the turnpike (just make sure that you are in the far left lane and turn right at the light) but there is a large parking lot, eassily accessable from the hotel. They have rolling racks inside the front door to help move luggage.

Room Tip: I'v e had a room next to the elevator and it was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear faithlavin:
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I know many people read reviews and take a cue from guests like you.
I am happy to hear you found our beds and breakfast buffet to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Fort Washington in the not too distant future.
Saratoga Springs, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay for two nights last weekend. We found the room to be a very nice size and well-appointed (bed, nightstands with electric outlets in lamps for your phones, etc., a desk and chair, free internet, a comfy chair and ottoman, flat screen TV, small fridge, coffeemaker). The bathroom had a tub with shower and decent toiletries & towels. The bed was comfortable, and the room clean. The lounge areas are very welcoming - bright and modern, with a gas fireplace and small bar. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful, without exception. The breakfast deal is a good one, and the breakfasts had a lot of variety... they have a real kitchen and will make your breakfast (omelettes, waffles, etceteras) to order. (They also offer Tazo teas, which makes this tea drinker happy). The Garden Inn allows dogs, for a fee of $25 per night. Overall, we see this inn as a real winner, a good value, and we expect to return in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear bettyb2973:
Thank you for your comments with regard to your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Fort Washington. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our team members.
We’re so glad you noticed our housekeeping efforts. Our executive housekeeper really has been motivating her team to reach new heights in cleanliness. We’re glad you noticed!
We are also glad to hear that you were pleased with our breakfast offerings. Our breakfast is much more than what you get at other hotels: cooked to order with fresh eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, as well as a variety of cereals, pastries, and fruits to give you what you need to start your day off right.
Hope to see you again soon.
Thanks,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

This standard moderately priced Hilton is excellently run and a great bargain. Facilities are clean, modern and attractive. Staff is exceptionally courteous and good humored. Rooms are good sized and very well maintained. The breakfast, which was included with the room offers made to order omelettes and pancakes as well as fresh fruit and all of the standard breakfast fare - again fresh and well prepared. it's nice to see a place that is well run.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Shaheerah B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Alec C:
Thanks for your gracious comments about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Fort Washington. I am very happy to hear that our team members took such good care of you and you found the amenities of our hotel to your liking. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels. Thanks, Shaheerah Bey, Director of Sales
Natick, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Start with reservation, I started trying to reserve 2 rooms for 2 couples with the advance purchase package. Thanks for the staff lady on the phone with courteous and patience. After listened to what I need and concern, she suggested me to use my AAA membership discount to book the rooms which is only a few dollars (~$3) more than the advance purchase option but it can be cancel any time before our arrival day without charge (With advance purchase, there is no refund for cancellation). One of our 2 couples end up cannot go for personal reason so I feel very please to listen to the phone staff's advise.

On the day we arrived, the front desk lady is also courteous and patience. She carefully explained our reservation package contents. As I just joined the Hilton HHonors program the night before our arrival, she also explained to me that I'm entitled to have two complimentary bottles of spring water (DASANI brand) which I'm glad to be able to use them the following hot day. I was trying to try out the adjustable firmness dial Garden Sleep System bed the first night. After I turned the adjustable firmness dial, I didn't hear any sound from the bed right the way so I was not sure if the system is working or not. On the following night, I ask the same front desk lady about the system. She carefully explained to me that the system takes about 5 minutes to adjust the firmness and I will not hear any sound from it (as it is not like an air bed) and offer me if I feel the system is not working, she will be happy to exchange room for me. I slept well both nights anyway.

Our room is spacious and clean. My guess including the bathroom and closet space, it's about 350 square feet. I'm not going to list features inside the room here as I saw all features in our room they listed on their website. Couple things I like to mention here is their ergonomic Mirra chair is one of the most comfortable desk chair I experienced in a hotel room and they have plenty of power outlets (I roughly counted over 10) you can use for your portable electric equipments.

I like the convenient of taking breakfast in hotel. Their $9.95 cooked-to-order breakfast comes with choice of choose-your-own-ingredients omelet, choose-your-own-style eggs, pancake, waffle with strawberries and other breakfast buffet items.

On the negative side, there are a little bit of strange stinky smell when I walk out of the elevator on the 6th floor. I did not smell that inside our room.

I think the wall between rooms are a little thin. I heard a kid crying and then also a man talking next door. Foretunately, I didn't hear those noise after 11pm.

I certainly will return to this hotel and recommand others to stay here if to need stay around Philadelphia / Fort Washington area next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Shaheerah B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear CSLUI:
Thanks so much for staying with us during your visit to the Fort Washington area. We’re glad you that this was your first stay as a Hilton Honors member!
Our staff tries to bring personal attention into every guest interaction, and we are very pleased that you received that attention at the front desk.
Thanks so much for helping us spread the word about our Garden Sleep System beds. They are very comfortable and indeed have the ability to be adjusted for every guest.
We’re also glad you noticed our housekeeping efforts. We use guest reviews to assess insights within our hotel operations and I have reviewed your feedback with the hotel team.
We would love the opportunity to have you as our guest once again. We’d like another chance to dazzle you!
Director of Sales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Washington
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ft....
#2 of 3 in Fort Washington
BEST WESTERN Fort Washington Inn
#3 of 3 in Fort Washington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philad...
#1 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
Chestnut Hill
Chestnut Hill Hotel
Chestnut Hill Hotel
#15 of 85 in Philadelphia
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia P...
#3 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hote...
#5 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington? Share your experiences!