“OMG, what a gem”
Review of Hungry Bear Cafe - CLOSED

Hungry Bear Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Ambler, Pennsylvania, United States
“OMG, what a gem”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Really hate to tout this gem as the best in the area, 'cause then I'll have trouble getting a table, but we were a wowed by the food and service at our first visit. Disclosure: I adore quail, and it was available in two forms the night we visited. The special was my choice, was enough for a full leftover the next day, AND retained its flavor. Partner swooned over his trout, guest didn't love her quail, but it was her first time with these yummy babies. Looking forward to many more tasteful visits!!

• Visited August 2014

ottawa canada
“Enjoyed Our Food”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

A very cute (small restaurant) basically next to the Fort Washington Septa station. As people mention parking is limited. But park at the station. It costs $1 but free after 5pm.

The food is prepared fresh. Very unique selections. The shrimp gumbo and the baked salmon was good. All the selections we saw going by us looked great.

We ended coming in to the restaurant when 3-4 other groups came in before us. With one waitress it was slow but she did well serving everyone.

You can bring your own beer or wine which we wished we had as we would have been happier as we waited a long time for our meals.

With a full restaurant this place can get quite loud. I think as the noise increased some people increased their level.

I think it's such a cute place and the fun and is very good. Prices were ok. Portions were a good size. Not crazy just good sized. If you are a big eater better order an appetizer.

Recommended. I'd go back again.

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“Nice Little Place With Good Food”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I had never heard of Hungry Bear until my job had an event there today. Parking was very limited. We actually parked in the Septa Train station parking lot for $1. The Cafe had only about five parking places and one or two were handicap. It's not easy to get to either. It is located in an old ticket station building.

With that said the food was good. I had some type of tomato soup on a crouton (I don't remember the name of it). It was very good. We had to wait a bit for dinner service for some reason. I'm not sure what that was about. However, I didn't credit that to the restaurant as it could have been planned that way by my job.

I had roasted salmon with french fries and salad for dinner. The salmon was ok. I would even say it was good. I'm not sure I like roasted salmon, but that's not the restaurant's fault or anything. The peach cobbler for desert was very good.

It doesn't look like a place that you would go unannounced, i.e., without a reservation and expect to eat in a reasonable amount of time. I suspect that you would have to wait a while without a reservation because the dinner area was quite small.

I cannot comment on the value since I didn't pay for anything. It was a business function for my job.

Anyway it was a nice place and good food. I would recommend it if you catch the train at the Fort Washington, PA train station.

• Visited July 2014
Hatboro, Pennsylvania
“A truly hidden gem!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This place is puts the "hidden" in hidden gem. It's tucked away in an old train station ticket building down a little private driveway off of Bethlehem Pike (across from Rich's Deli). The parking and seated is very limited, but they do take reservations. I highly recommend reservations if you're coming with 4+ people, or on a mother's/father's day. The food is awesome! The portions are very filling and they're not overpriced at all, especially considering they use local ingredients and make a lot of their food from scratch! Since I found this place, I've been back 3 times in less than one month; twice for Sunday Brunch (Brunch is only on the weekends) and I called in once time for take-out lunch midweek.

• Visited June 2014
Paoli, Pennsylvania
“Great food in a cozy place”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Grabbed lunch here one day. Very much enjoyed the grilled cheddar with tomato. The soup was also quite good. I will definitely go back and try their brunch if I get the chance.

Visited April 2014