“Still haunted by these pancakes...”
Review of Zakes Cakes & Cafe

Zakes Cakes & Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had breakfast yesterday at Zakes Cakes. We have moved out of the area and was happy when our friend suggested we meet there. I chose the honey and lemon pancakes. The plateful of deliciousness I received still haunts me today. Yummy pancakes with turbinado sugar and candied lemon. The homemade caramel sauce sounded like it might be too much, but I found it to be a perfect pairing. Plus, the blackberries and raspberries were fresh and perfect. Pancakes! Lemon! Caramel! Berries! Loved it.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I usually have an easy time writing reviews, but Zakes is such a unique place it took some thought to describe. The ambiance is an old Victorian home or farm house converted to a restaurant/cafe. It was adorable inside and I especially admired the window sill displays that used fresh lemons! Very clever. The menu is a mix of vegetarian, Asian, and American.

My husband stumbled upon a review for Zakes and we decided to give it a try for Thursday date night. Next time we will be sure to make a reservation, even on a Thursday night as only two tables were left due to reservations by three large parties that evening. Service was good. Several servers attended to us which we did not mind as it kept the meal moving. We did not have any delay in service. I'll also note that it is a small restaurant so the tables are a bit close together. However, they are not so close that you feel like you could share in conversation with your table neighbor.

Being called a "cafe" I was a little taken back by the dinner prices; however, the food combinations were very unique so I could understand why the prices were on the higher side. We opted for the price fix menu of $28 per person which included a complimentary glass of wine (note that it is a BYOB), an appetizer, dinner, and a dessert sampler. It made more sense to order from the price fix as the cheapest entree was 18 dollars and the lowest price app was $6.

I ordered the Vietnamese Crispy Crepe with was huge and delicious. I actually preferred it to my entree of roasted trout with Sautéed Spinach. The trout could have used a little lemon, but trout is normally bland tasting so it was still impressive. My husband had an amazing mushroom strawberry salad and the Thai Bouillabaisse which was also wonderful if you are a fish lover. We enjoyed every bite! Our dessert was a beautifully plated sampler.

I felt the portions were perfect and wish all restaurants would serve that size. For the cost of the meal I think some people may prefer a larger portion, but I feel Zakes got it just right! We did not leave hungry nor did we leave uncomfortably full as you so often do these days.

I would definitely return to Zakes, but I would like to try their lunch menu rather than a dinner.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great sandwiches and salads. I don't like the atmosphere for dinner. Dinner menu too pricey for the type of place it is.

1  Thank Debbie A
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Each time I go there for lunch, I get a salad with one of their homemade dressings. Very fresh and tasty.

1  Thank resortspert
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My trip to Zake's Cakes was met with near disaster when my husband fell on the :step: of the parking lot
It was dark and this raise in the walking area was totally unnoticeable
As my husband was sprawling to the ground I was horrified.

Some very nice people helped us and restored my husband back to his feet
BEWARE of the unsafe parking lot!

1  Thank Dolores C