“Real Philly Cheesesteaks”

Good for: Dining on a budget
Norwood PA
“Real Philly Cheesesteaks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

Huge amounts of meat can barely stay in the roll. Tasty onion rings too. Only takes cash and closes early, at 8 pm.

1 Thank Barbara P

Reading, PA
“Absolutely the best hoagies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

When I think about Anna's, I start drooling. Absolutely the ... best ... hoagies ... ANYWHERE. Soft rolls, quality deli meats and cheeses sliced fresh for each sandwich. Add toppings and oil. Yummmm. When my grandmother - who lived around the corner from Anna's - would visit us in New York, she knew she was not allowed in the house unless she brought a few Italian hoagies with her; the staff from Anna's would wrap them for travel so the rolls didn't get soggy. The hoagies are not cheap but they are huge. The large can easily feed 2 people. Their cheesesteaks are also delicious. This is a family-run business that has been around for decades. To steal a phrase from the top of a pizza box, "You've tried all the rest, now try the best." The only downfall is that it's a small eatery and seating is very limited. Most people take theirs to go.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank NickiPA
Wilmington, De
“I had to give this place all 5's. The...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

I had to give this place all 5's. The place is old and dingy but reminds me of the local steak shop growing up. The cheesesteak I had was excellent. The small was on a 12 inch roll, packed with meat. The onions were cooked to perfection. This was one of the best steaks I've eaten inthe tri-state area in my 50 years.

They have a small menu with steaks, sandwiches, and hoagies. The staff is friendly, and the place seems to be a neighborhood favorite. To bad this place is far from home.

1 Thank Db1105
Charlottesville, VA
“An Institution for Four Generations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

I hope writing this review isn't a mistake. For selfish reasons I don't want Anna's to get too crowded. But, I must write a rebuttal. I just finished watching a Food Network show about Philadelphia's legendary cheesesteak rivals -- Pat's and Geno's. I once fell prey to the hype and tried them. Never again. Forget the crowds, the long lines of tourists and rude service just to experience an expensive, mediocre product.

In the 1930's Anna's was my great-grandparents' favorite Hoagie shop. Today, it's still the same shop, owned and operated by the same family. Google map the address and check the street view. This tiny little shop that occupies only a part of the first floor of the house has been turning out the absolute best hoagies and cheesesteaks for 3/4 of a century! I grew up on their sandwiches. Now, living in the mountains of Virginia, we have to plan at least one pilgramage per year. Caution: If you plan a visit check their hours. Unless they've changed, they were always closed on Sunday and Monday.

You won't find tourists here. You'll see the locals lined up to take their family's lunch or dinner home. (They only have seating for about 12 people) Notice how the staff knows the name and order of each person as they walk through the door.

The only category I couldn't give a 5 was "atmosphere." But that's not why any one goes here. If you want to savor the ultimate Philadelphia sandwiches (for about the same price as a trip to a fast food burger joint), or, if you are one the many displaced Philadelphians suffering with one of those unexplainable cravings that you get for Hoagies, Cheesesteaks or Tastykake -- Find Anna's. I guarantee, you will be starting a new family tradition.

1 Thank TTFIV