“Excellent Service and Accomodations”

Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fogelsville
philadelphia
“Excellent Service and Accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

This was our first visit to Glasbern. Since we were celebrating a birthday and anniversary, I researched many inns/b&b's before deciding on Glasbern (it was the real wood-burning fireplace and large jacuzzi that sold me on this one). We stayed for one night in the Gatehouse and it was the most enjoyable stay we've had in a while. The innkeeper Carrie, as well as the rest of the staff, was friendly, accomodating, and helpful with recommendations. The room was very quaint and comfortable, providing soft linens and cozy bathrobes. The Great Room, where breakfast is served, was lovely and the breakfast was delicious. We loved the history behind the property and appreciated the authenticity of the rustic decor. We will definitely return and hope to be able to try as many rooms as we can!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Falls Church, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at the Glasbern Inn (Packhouse No. 63) the night before Thanksgiving and were impressed with the buildings and grounds which are just as they appear in their website photos. We were greated by friendly staff - everyone we came in contact with was really nice. Once we checked in and opened our room door, we were a bit disappointed with our room given the rate we paid - $250 per night. We were disappointed with the lack of charm and quality of furnishings and materials. The carpet was low grade with no padding which made the floor feel hard; bathroom materials were builder grade and what you'd expect to find in tract homes not in an upper end inn or hotel; seating was limited to a low quality vinyl loveseat and two dining chairs, small refrigerator was randomly placed along an empty wall in the room; room was dark which gave it a cave-like feel; found it odd to have an oversized bath/hot tub in the room; the bed (which was nice and comfortable with nice linens) was flanked by two steel support poles which they could have clad in some rustic wood to match the wood-clad exposed beam overhead. The room has potential to be much more charming than it is.

We would have asked to change rooms but when I made the reservation, I was told that this was the only room available for guests with a child- sounded like they were near full. It appeared to us the next morning that the place had only a handful of guests (never saw another child). When we checked out, I commented to the staff person at the front desk that I felt like our room was on the low end of their rooms relative to the price; she noded and said that the room is priced higher than others since it has a hot tub, a fireplace and is larger in overall size - none of which we asked for.

Unfortunately, because of our room, our stay didn't match our expectations. The Glasburn missed out on an opportunity to have us an additional night and dine there for Thanksgiving dinner ($60 pre fixe) - we cancelled our dinner reservation as we didn't feel like our room provided value equal to what we paid. Before we checked in, we were considering staying an additional night if we liked the place- that idea was dashed upon check in.

Perhaps our experience is one-off since, by most acounts, the Glasbern has positive reviews - i suspect from those that didn't stay in Packhouse No. 63.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank three3ees
glasbern, Manager at Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
I'm so sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations, this is very disappointing for everyone involved. We're on a constant quest to be better, improve our rooms, staff, and cuisine, although sometimes we fall short. I will definitely raise your improvement suggestions to other staff members, I wish though you would have asked to try a different room. No two rooms are alike at Glasbern. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I hope you had a splendid holiday even though you didn't spend it with us.
Levittown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

This was our 3rd time staying at Glasbern it is a very quiet and relaxing place to go for a getaway. We only had breakfast their and it was very good. Everyone we encounter during our stay was helpful and very nice. The room was very nice and clean. We stayed in the Gatehouse it was small but nice and quaint. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was nice and the fireplace made it so nice and cozy on a cool November night. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Titusville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

We heard about this great chef at the Inn and got together with 8 other couples to check it out. We stayed at the Pack house suites which are very large with a fireplace and Jacuzzi. We spend time in the pub sampling many of Chef Yanni Arhontoulis signature appetizers followed by a wonderful 7 course tasting menu. Wonderful weekend!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mertztown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

If your inn was in the heart of New Hampshire, I could understand the service and prices at your restaurant, but not in Fogelsville. My family and I spent hours at the inn for dinner, paid high prices and left hungry. The service was incredibly slow and the food left much to be desired. How can this inn have so many good reviews? Perhaps the good reviews are for the accomodations and weddings but definitely not the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank april t
glasbern, Manager at Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
We're very appreciative that you brought this to our attention, just wish you would have done so during service and would have rectified the situation then. Please contact us directly at innkeeper@glasbern.com so we can discuss this. We are on a constant quest to be better. Thank you so much!
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Glasbern on business on at least 30 occasions and it is the standard of service and comfort by which I measure any other Inn. To be perfectly honest, I feel spoiled there. The beds are all extremely comfortable, the bathrooms are amazing, and real wood burning fireplaces? Come on!
The nature of my work often has me returning to the Inn in the early morning hours. The folks up front have always been very flexible in allowing me to check in early and/or check out late. In the times I have left before breakfast starts, the staff has put together the quickest, best breakfast I have ever tasted.
Anytime someone mentions the Glasbern breakfast, folks I work with reminisce about their favorite dishes. Again, one of the best breakfasts I have had anywhere, let alone in the Lehigh valley.
To top it all off, the grounds surrounding the Glasbern are gorgeous. On one occasion, one of their dogs accompanied me for playing fetch while I walked the grounds. Definitely not the average business travel experience.

Room Tip: The farm house, the gate house, and the carriage house are my favorites... although upstairs in the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
NOVA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed at the Glasbern because of a wedding. My wife and I had no idea what a treat we were in for. The wedding was beautiful and the grounds were gorgeous. Usually, I am not a fan of wedding food but it was quite excellent. We are vegetarians, but the other people said that their beef was cooked perfectly. All of the food at the Glasbern is from there since it is also a farm. We picked up some fresh eggs on our way out. The wedding went off without a hitch.

We stayed at the main Inn. Our room had a whirlpool tub and was charming. Water and soda was free in our room. There was a pool (though it was too cold to really use when were there). If you call ahead you can arrange a massage at the spa. I think there is also horses you can ride. I wish we had been better prepared. There is a free and tasty breakfast.

Lastly, I accidentally left my shoes behind and they were nice enough to mail them too me free of charge.

We plan to come back for sure!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fogelsville
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Allentown-Fogelsville
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
#1 of 14 in Bethlehem
Renaissance Allentown Hotel
Bear Creek Mountain Resort
Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown-West/Fogelsville
Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West

Been to Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown? Share your experiences!