“Not what I expected”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fairview
Randolph, New York
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

There is nothing around this hotel. It's a dead end. The outstide was very rundown and was not kept up. Free breakfast was cold and did not have much to offer. Rooms were nice.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed here as a way to save money while visiting Splash Lagoon and the Erie area with our 1 and 3 year old. We had a rough time finding the location using Google maps on our iPhone. When we finally did pull up we were extremely nervous. The outside was pretty shady looking; the stretch of highway was grim at best. That combined with the incredibly low cost made us feel like we'd made a huge mistake. Despite this I went into the (really smoky smelling) lobby and was greeted by a very pleasant and accommodating manager. He let me view my room before paying. I was pleased to find it was clean, bright, well lit, and very nice. We had a huge king bed, lush bedding, surprisingly comfortable pull out couch, and a small "kitchenette." The kitchenette was only a small fridge and a microwave but it was surrounded by a granite countertop and gave us the perfect location to stow the pack'n'play. Sometimes it's difficult to travel and stay in hotel rooms with young children because they can't sleep well if they can see you, this was easy to take care of with this room layout. I can see how someone not in our situation would be baffled by the high counter top that seems to serve no real purpose. Our room was located just outside the side entrance very near the parking lot. This was very nice as we had a ton of luggage and two small children to deal with. The manager seemed to anticipate this as we had requested the crib when we made our reservation.

We did find the hallways and common areas smelled of smoke, but we were very happy with how clean and fresh our room was. We were able to open our windows, our bedding was fresh and new, our towels were perfect. The motel staff was great and the price was unbeatable. Sometimes, when you open the couch bed you can see how clean the hotel REALLY is by checking out the floor inside the couch, I am happy to report this place was not bad at all. The hot breakfast the next morning was a surprise as well. I hadn't known it was provided so the muffins, oatmeal, juice, eggs, sausage, and cereal were a nice touch. The restaurant was not smoky at all.

We'd stay there again without hesitation. I would really recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Erie area. It’s clearly not “right there” in the heart of Erie, but when I booked our stay it was literally hundreds less than the other hotels available. I am happy to drive one more exit up the interstate (if I am already driving) for a savings of $100-200. I don’t mind a mildly smoky hallway in this type of circumstance. Especially considering our location to the outside door. We rarely stepped foot in the common areas of the hotel. If the smoke was a concern, I would suggest phoning ahead and requesting a room near the entrance.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Mushy1127
Wellsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed January 4, 2010

the hotel itself was layed out really weird and not ideal for handicapped people such as my mother-in-law. Thankfully our room was near an outside entrance with no steps. I had to walk completely around the inside of the hotel to get to the lobby. It was truely a frightening walk, up and down steps without ever leaving the first floor. It was a more direct route to walk across the parking lot but that was not an option at night. The room was huge and clean. The free breakfast was not good. This was one of the worst Choice Hotels ever. I did not complain because I used my points. The front clerk was polite in a preachy kind of way. He demanded a please and thank you before he would do anything. Like I was a child and didnt have enough sense to speak without him telling me how. Will never stay here again.

• Liked — the room was very big and had a a bar-like area
  • Disliked — interior hallways were like a maze. cheap ramps laying down over the steps for the maid carts, unprofessional front desk staff.
  • Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Fairview hotels

Mississauga
Reviewed October 12, 2008

The hotel was ok. It's not one of the best hotels that I have stayed at, I'd give it a 3/10 . The Queen size beds were comfortable, but the room was musty and smoky smelling and the walls very thin.
Our Saturday night (Oct 11/08)stay was awful and ruined by the fact that the hotel has a 'Saloon' (it's idea of a club I guess) The entrance was directly underneath our second floor room. Not only were we subjected to awful rock/country music but we were kept awake by this pounding music up until 2am Sunday morning. We called and expressed our concerns twice to the management(once at 9pm then again at 12:30pm) who told us that there was nothing that could be done, the saloon is open on the weekends. We were never forewarned of this inconvenience when we booked in and the hotel said they could not compensate us as we had booked through an Internet hotel site. Needless to say we did not have a restful stay. We would not go back there nor recommend that hotel to any fellow travellers.

• Liked — Proximity to the shopping Mall
  • Disliked — Loud music up to 2am in the morning
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
here
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I've been staying at this hotel 2-4 times a year for the last 20+ years. It IS improving. New, more comfortable beds, new comforters, new bedspreads, new carpet, all new furnature with a better room layout, new paint/wall paper, 4 pillows per bed, new top on sink, new tub surround, new shower curtains that now project outward for more room. Room was clean. I've never eaten in the resturant so I have nothing to add, but free breakfasts are provided. It's not and never will be the Waikoloa Hilton in Hawaii, but then again, its not $600 a night.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2007

This hotel is the former Best Western soon to be Comfort Inn and Suites, they advertise that the place has been renovated, but it is still the same old place, with the exception of some new tiles in the lobby and stairways. The grass has not been cut all summer and there is no signage even showing the place. Windows look like the have not been cleaned in years. For the money $59.00 plus tax, I guess it was okay, there is still the BW Saloon downstairs, but it was not too happening, you do get a breakfast in the morning, it was okay. The entire building needs a face lift, with the Dixie Lee, aka Green Shingle closed down a number of years ago, the area just is not the same. Some of the hotels near the new Casino were charging $99.00 a night.

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank RosaElliott
Boston
Reviewed August 23, 2007

This is one of the worst places I have ever stayed in. The staff is unpleasant and nasty. The rooms are filthy. There were some kind of bugs crawling around the hallway which I was hoping were not cockroaches. The free breakfast is joke because the restauraunt is so dirty I wouldn't eat there. The pool cleaning guy kicked me out of the pool so he could "clean" it for a few hours, I drove by the entrance and he and some girls were swimming in it. At night there is a bar with filthy drunkards staggering around yelling and fighting and smashing beer bottles on the pavement, and the music is so loud you can hear it from down the street. Pick a place on the Peach street exit, big improvement.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kdm090977
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairview
Red Roof Inn Erie
Red Roof Inn Erie
#6 of 38 in Erie
SpringHill Suites Erie
Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
Wingate by Wyndham Erie
Baymont Inn & Suites Erie
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Erie

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Fairview? Share your experiences!