“American treasure! Great stop while in the Gettysburg area.”
Review of The Fairfield Inn

The Fairfield Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Fairfield
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: With origins dating to 1757, The Fairfield Inn is one of America's oldest, continuously operated Inns. The Inn offers all the refinement and charm one would expect from a small luxury hotel. Individually decorated bedrooms, spacious private bathrooms, and elegant, tastefully furnished suites and parlours invite you to relax. Proud to be Celebrating and Serving Fine Food & Spirits to travelers and guests for over 250 years.Built nineteen years before the Declaration of Independence, The Fairfield Inn was originally the Mansion House of Squire Miller, an original founder of the town. In the 250 years that have passed, the Mansion House has hosted many famous Americans such as Patrick Henry, nephew of Squire William and Isabella Henry Miller, Thaddeus Stevens, Generals Robert E. Lee & J.E.B. Stuart, Baseball Hall of Famer Eddie Plank and The Eisenhowers.When the Battle of Gettysburg was over, the Confederate Army retreated West through Fairfield. General Robert E. Lee and his officers stopped to eat at the Inn. After touring the Battlefield, we invite you to retreat to our style of history and hospitality. Unwind in one of our luxurious suites or guest rooms. Sip hot spiced cider by one of our eight fireplaces or have a drink in Squire Miller’s Tavern. Enjoy seasonal specialties on our front porch or dine in the original Mansion House. From our famous Chicken & Biscuits to our Chef’s signature dishes featuring the finest hand cut steaks and fresh seafood, taste why over four centuries of fine service and culinary expertise make dining at The Fairfield Inn a deliciously unique experience.
Los Angeles, California
“American treasure! Great stop while in the Gettysburg area.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The inn is one of the oldest still operating in America, and for a country as young as America this is one of the landmarks we should treasure. For a historical landmark, the inn has been very well preserved. One of the delights about dining here, is that they still serve dishes that they would have served back in the 1700's. Where else can you experience something like this? Thank you for keeping the history of our nation alive!

• Visited September 2012

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“nothing special”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've been here several times over the past few years. I love the historic places around Gettysburg and this was pretty high on our list. This time it really struck me how limited the menu is, and the food was not very special for the price. I ordered the duck, which was a very unusual thing for me and it was very good. My wife ordered the crab cakes and our friends ordered prime rib. None of that was very good to be honest. Our waitress was pleasant but not familiar at all with the menu items. The food was rather cold and just not a pleasure to eat. Imagine we'll be back sometime but it will be awhile I'm afraid.

• Visited January 2013
schandon, Owner at The Fairfield Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
We certainly appreciate every customer who visits The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757 and would like to thank lovetoravel1952 for his/her patronage over "the past few years". With a fine dining menu and entrees including roast duck, rack of lamb, wild mushroom ravioli with creamy pesto, slow roasted prime rib, traditional surf and turf, linguini with shrimp and tomato vodka sauce, pork chops with bacon horseradish sauce and, of course, our famous chicken and biscuits (we serve over two tons a year) I'm not sure how our menu could be described as "limited". I personally visit every table to make sure our customers are satisfied and to thank them so the time to say something about any unsatisfactory menu item is when you are actually in our restaurant when every effort can be made to correct it. Of the current members of our waitstaff, the shortest length of time on staff is over two years so for lovetotravel1952 to say the waitress was not familiar with the menu is troubling. My wife and I are the 26th owners of this very special Inn built in 1757 and we are proud to be continuing a tradition of fine food, sprits and lodging for locals and visitors to Gettysburg. Sal Chandon, Owner
“Amazing New Years Dinner”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The food was great, the music was great, the service was great!!! The prices were a little high but its new years.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Much better under new management”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This restaurant has improved GREATLY under new management. Everything from atmosphere to food has turned around. Last year we came here because a dear friend of ours loves this place. We got crappy service and after I found a hair in my meal they refused to do anything about it.

This year, however, I did not expect any problems with service or food and I was NOT disappointed. We had excellent food; terrific service; and enjoyed ourselves immensely. It was a pleasure to go to dinner with our friend.

I would gladly recommend this restaurant/bed breakfast to anyone within listening distance to go there.

• Visited December 2012
schandon, Owner at The Fairfield Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
I would certainly like to thank KR for this review while pointing out that the Inn is not under new management. My wife are the 26th owners of this amazing Inn, having purchased it in 2002. We are proud to be continuing a long standing tradition of fine food, spirits and lodging with contunuous operation to the public since 1786, and we will have the priviledge of doing it for some time to come. Sal Chandon, Owner
Essex, Maryland
“Decorated for Christmas.”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Finally made it back early enough for lunch. We both had the wonderful Chicken & Biscuits. I also had the Ham & Bean soup. We love that they bring you a pitcher of honey for the star shaped rolls.
After lunch we walked around and looked at all the Decorations.
We would love to stay there but I am handicapped and don't do stairs very well.
We plan on going back again for one of their dinner shows.

• Visited December 2012