“Gooad and Bad”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I recently went here from the National Fire Academy as suggested by some who had been there in the past for a class dinner. The van arrived late to get us (think another large group grabbed it first). We had reservations and there was no wait. There were two large groups there and a few others so the fact we had drink is hand 10 minutes in was good. They had a deal for any steak and a pound of snow crab legs. I went for that and some other did as well. Others in the group varied from fried seafood to broiled fish. We got a couple of appetizers and they were okay. Crab dip had some good size chunks in it.Then the oddities began...Those that ordered meals with sides had the individual sides delivered. Then those that got crab legs had them delivered. Initially I was impressed with the amount until I began eating them. Snow crab legs should "crack" open. These were very soft and rubbery lending to more work to get the meat out. For about 10-15 minutes nothing else arrived. Then one person asked about his meal of lobster and prime rib. The waitress brought out the lobster tail only. It was very rubbery. Then the steaks and other main items arrived with the exception of the prime rib. My steak was the highlight of the meal. I got the NY Strip which was thick and flavorful (a tad underdone) but I'm not picky as long as it's not mooing or well done. But the prime rib which is one of there specialties I was told) looked horrible. VERY fatty and over done. You could tell that it had been cooked and then reheated. The waitress' were very helpful and Jane was so nice driving the van back and forth for us. It is a shame that there seems to be a large mix of reviews. Could have been a really great experience!

4  Thank medicfoodie

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have been to Dave and Jane's a few times and it has always been busy. All you can eat crabs tend to be light and lightly seasoned. Shrimp, crab legs and hush puppies have been good and the beer has always been cold.

2  Thank Russell L
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went there from the National Fire Academy for our class dinner. The service was fast and the waitresses were extremely hot! The food was ok at best. They did a great job of accomodating our large group. They did come and pick us up in vans which was super helpful. The guy driving the van worked in the kitchen and was wearing a sleeveless shirt....ewwwwww. Several of us tried a lot of different foods. No one thought any of the food was good, but we all had a great time and they had quite a selection of beer and they had big screen TVs to watch the games. I would definitely go back to watch a game, but that was because of the waitresses and their service... not for the food.

2  Thank Bealll95
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stopped in here with a friend while in the area for a school. Lots of patrons, all having a good time. Casual atmosphere and good food. Had the clams and steamed shrimp. Very good, and the waitress was great!

3  Thank Tina M
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I've been to Dick and Jane's about a half dozen times. The food is always about average. Being from the West Coast, I never have too high of expectation of the snow crab, because if you're used to Dungeness Crab, any other type is usually flavorless.

So this time I'm there with a large group, and I order the T-bone steak with a pound of snow crab. The snow crab was exactly what I normally expect, so no big thing there. The steak, on the other hand, was horrible. Thin, dry, and full of gristle, it was one of the worst steaks I've ever had. Then I made a hug mistake....I asked for some BBQ cause to make it more palatable. I was brought small containers of BBQ sauce. Not thinking to taste it first, I dumped it on the remaining steak.......it was uneatable.

Maybe this was just a bad night, or a bad case of steaks.....but everyone in my group of 20 who ordered steak had the same comments.

On the bright side.....our waitress was outstanding, our food came quickly, and the place was clean. I may be back for the crab, but would not recommend the steaks.

2  Thank lyoninfire