“Self service B&B”

The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757
Ranked #1 of 1 Fairfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 22, 2009

A friend of mine had stayed hear a couple of weeks earlier and enjoyed it so , this being our first trip to Gettysburg, we booked there also. We arrived around two on Sunday afternoon. There were people eating but no one there to handle the lodging. I finally went to the kitchen and stopped the waitress. She said the owners had just left( they had been told what time we were coming) but she passed me off to the chef. Then the bartender came in and I was passed off to him. He got us set up in our room. Let me add that everyone we encountered there were very friendly and helpful.
Having never been to the inn, we booked the JEB Stuart room solely on it's historical merit. What we didn't realize was that it is on the front of the building, against Pa. 116, which is a very busy street. This made it almost impossible to sleep. This was our choice, but had we known about it in advance, we would have picked a different room. We were the only guest there for the two nights we stayed, which was nice, but a little strange. We had a key for the front door and our room. All other exits were locked. I guess we could have gone out a window had there been a fire. One other thing about the Jeb Stuart room, the floor slants noticeably away from both outside walls. This means that doors will not stay open and whoever sleeps on the outside of the bed is forever sliding down onto the person sleeping on the inside. Not a real problem, actually sort of quaint, adding character to the room. This also probably explains what earlier reviewers thought was ghost phenomena. Trust me, no self respecting ghost would stay in a room that noisy.
Since breakfast wouldn't be served until 8:30, I asked about coffee. The waiter took me to the dining room and showed me how to make it. No problem there. Breakfast Monday was on time and adequate. When we returned to the inn Monday night we met the owner, Sal, who was working on the books. He asked if we needed anything and said that someone would be in to fix breakfast the next morning. I got up around 7 Tuesday and made the coffee again and packed to check out after breakfast. We waited around until almost 9 and no one ever showed up. I noticed a small sign on the hallway table with a number to call in case of emergencies( I just happened to notice this, no one ever pointed it out to us). I called twice and the line was busy. I put my keys on the table and left.
I have very mixed feeling about my experience. It really is a nice old inn with a lot of history. The staff we met were very nice ( Jim, Brian) and helpful, and for all its quirks, we liked the room. Most of the problems were minor ones but on my blue colar salary $425 for this kind of service is hard to swallow. I just don't know if this laid back attitude cuts in in the B&B industry. It's good to a point, but after that, it poor business.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank canu49

Reviewed September 22, 2009

We paid a great deal of money to stay in sub-standard conditions. Lodging: The moment I laid eyes on soiled upholstery in the main parlor, I became worred. It got much, much worse upstairs. Food: My husband's steak was, "the second worse one" he'd ever eaten. I found a bit of matter stuck to the knife in my wrapped silverware packet. I could barely stay at the table after that. I swirled my fork in my wine glass, hoping to disinfect it! We adore history and were saddened by the misleading website. The site is indeed an old one, but it is not up to par for lodging. In the highly busy area of Gettysburg, it was alarming to realize we were the ONLY guests on a special event weekend!! We had a lovely time on our trip, but our stay at the inn was sleepless and stressful.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank likeshistory
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I have stayed at the fairfield inn for the last 6 years every october and everytime i have enjoyed it. Sal the owner is very friendly and helpful, the bartender is also very friendly. The inn only has about 5 rooms, and i have stayed in 3, jeb stuart, grumble jones, and the patrick henry. my favorite is the jeb stuart with the big bathroom, whirlpool tub, and crooked floors. The patrick henry also has a big bathroom with a clawfoot tub. Eating at the inn is very delicious. I love the filet mignon chesapeke with pumpkin fritters and a hot buttered rum.They always seem to have a getaway deal of some sort check out there website. i did have a ghost experience in the jeb stuart room about 2 years ago. very creepy and i could not sleep the rest of the night. adams county winery is close by to stop in and do some taste testing, and the cashtown inn is a great place to stop in for lunch and some history.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Let's see, where does one begin. Family had lunch on Friday, November 28th. This 250 year old inn should reek of history but it was cheapened by inexpensive tourist paintings on the walls, other cheap looking tourist trinkets and the tavern just looked tore down. Next, we were seated but sat for at least 10 minutes without menus. We were acknowledged but no service. Next, we unfortunately sat next to some a loud mouth lady who demanded all the attention of the lone waitress making unwarranted excessive demands, voicing her many likes and dislikes.
We finely received the menus. A very friendly gregarious waitress took our drink orders. 50 minutes later we received our lunch. There were only 2 tables to wait on and 2 tables ordering a meal.
50 minutes is an awful long time to wait for what turned out to be a fairly awful lunch.
Lunch consisted of Chicken and Biscuits, Gen’l Schimmelfennig’s HINDquarters, Buffalo Style Spicy Chicken Wings and Chicken Wrap. Let's just say the cole slaw was tasty. We could have rode out the rude lunch guest next to us but the overlong wait for the above lunches, the beat up look of the inn, and most of the food items were disappointing. If they can't do any better then this lunch, the dirty dishes, and the touristy beat up look they should close and rethink their mission. One downside of closing: the very friendly waitress would have to move on but that is maybe a good thing because she would not have to keep apologizing for the wait, the food and other guests.
It was the worst meal experience we have had while traveling to Gettysburg many times over the years and that is really saying something. I say boo on this place.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Charlestonnext
Reviewed October 14, 2008

The good: Staff is very friendly, the town of Fairfield is very nice and we were glad we stayed there instead of Gettysburg,

The bad: The room was dark and dingy.At the dinner show the meal that was served was unbelievably bad, we have had airline food better than what was served. We passed on our free breakfast after that meal. Being that it was old and a historical site there were constantly people touring the place which made us worry about leaving valubles in our room.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank fedfire4life
Reviewed August 19, 2008

For our 36th wedding anniversary, my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal in the tavern section of this lovely, historical Inn. The gracious host and waitstaff were attentive to our every needs, including seating other patrons elsewhere so that we had the fireplace room to ourselves. How romantic! Following our delicious meal, the host gave us a tour of the Inn. We hope to stay there this November.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2008

we looked at the wesite and read the descriptions; we discussed the facility with the innkeeper as well and specifically asked about cleanliness. the reality struck as soon as we opened door to our room. the rooms are very grimy and the linens, bedclothes, drapes, walls, even the hardwood floors were filthy.

we had dinner at their restaurant and the waitress served the dishes cold and the food was of poor quality. we were with friends and they felt the same way. breakfast was just plain bad. we paid for two nights and left after one night because the place just feels crawly.

this seems like a tourist trap that looks and sounds good but that's all you get.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank polecat5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
3 mi away
The Fairfield Lodge
The Fairfield Lodge
#1 of 1 in Fairfield
Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757? Share your experiences!