WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 1 Fairfield B&B and Inns
Baltimore, MD
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

The historic Fairfield Inn lived up to its billing as historic. If you have ever wished to spend a night in an antique store, this is an opportunity waiting for you. The inn is located near Gettysburg and the Liberty Mountain Resort, but there is little to do in the small town of Fairfield. We were the only over-night guests on the night we stayed so there was little noise from other rooms.

Although the room is an antique creation, the bathroom is modern with a jacuzzi style tub. A small ladder is needed to climb into the four-poster bed, but we slept soundly once under the covers. The staff was helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the home cooked breakfast of eggs, beacon, waffles, OJ and coffee.

A pleasant bed and breakfast experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chantilly, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Fairfield Inn during Columbus Day weekend 2013. The stay was uncomfortable. When we arrived and attempted to check in, we could not find any staff. We had to ask dining staff and tavern staff to find someone to check us in. We also ordered a cheese platter and a bottle of wine to be in our room upon arrival. When we got in our room there was neither. We received a knock on the door 2.5 hours later with the cheese plate but not the bottle of wine. It is unclear if that was an honest mistake. We had a coffee maker in the room, but no coffee, no filters, or stirrers. We also found a white towel with a large red stain. Although it may not be blood, it was alarming. The inn posts a nice brunch; however, when we went down to brunch it was empty and there were no sign of staff. The only staff member that we did see was the house keeper throughout the stay. It was not all it was published to be.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JGKramb, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for bringing your problems to my attention. I strive to provide an excellent experience for all my customers, and clearly I fell short with you.
With regard to your not being able to find staff, I'm not sure at what time you checked in to the Inn. However, if it was during a busy dinner time, then you probably did have to wait a few minutes to be checked in. We always have the room key and receipt ready to go, however as a Bed and Breakfast, we don't maintain a full time front desk.
The situation with the dirty linen and no coffee is unacceptable. I personally these items, and how these errors happened baffles me. I wish you had identified these problems to me during your stay so that I could have taken immediate corrective action. I list my home phone number in the in-room information sheet for just such occasions.
I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Thanks again for being our guest.
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We loved the charm and history of this early - American home and inn and the local surroundings. One is transported. This place is about comfort and not pretension (so don't expect to be spoiled in a modern day sense) but you'll be spoiled by the things we sometimes forget to appreciate: kind, accomplished owners and helpful staff, relaxing meals, fun conversation, imaginative settings and genuine links to the past. This place provides lodging to spark your adventures elsewhere in Adam's County. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have frequented this establishment many times over the past 12 years and always thought that in the right hands this place could be really great and each and every time I've walked away underwhelmed to say the least. My fiancé and I stayed there recently in the Grumble Jones room and it was awful. I'm not referring to the slanted floors or any of the other quirks that an old home will have. It was dirty. The bathroom was gross. There was hair on the floor and on the toilet seat. The towels were dingy looking and the bathmat was all frayed on the ends. We got one bar of soap for the two of us and no replacement bar the next day. I pulled back the comforter and the sheets were so wrinkled I could not be sure that they had been changed. The place was so dusty I couldn't believe it. We have stayed in many B and B's that are in old buildings but never one so lacking in attention to detail. The worst part of the trip was the bat that flew out of the closet in our room. We were in bed sleeping and all of a sudden over our head there it was. I jumped out of bed and opened the door and I could hear it hitting the walls. When I opened the closet door in the room there was an obvious whole in the wall and bat guano on the walls.!!I didn't recognize any staff from the previous ownership and the ones that I did have interaction with appeared clueless when asked a question about anything to do with the Inn. It's a shame that a building with such great history and potential has yet to live up to that potential. When you are charging the rates that they are I expect to get what I pay for
The breakfast was served to us in the morning by a gentleman who introduced himself as the chef. He was dressed in street clothes and looked as though he himself could use to a eat a sandwich or two. He leaned over to take my plate and I swear I smelled alcohol l and it was 8:45 am!!! Fairfield Inn you could be great but improvements must be made. We have been there many times but I would hesitate to go back again unless improvements are made.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JGKramb, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I was very saddened to learn of your experience. My goal is to provide each of my guests with a wonderful experience, and clearly I fell short of that goal for your visit.
I checked the closet for the bat guano and could find none, however the wall was dirty from something dripping down it. I have since cleaned that.
As far as the dirt and hair, it is totally unacceptable that you found that, and I apologize. The person who was cleaning rooms at the time of your visit no longer works here, and I now clean and re-stock the rooms myself.
I find that ironing the sheets just creates different wrinkles. I asked for feedback on our facebook page, and was almost universally told not to bother with it. I now smooth the sheets out as best as practicably.
I have an information sheet about the Inn in each room, and my home telephone number is listed on it. Your review was the first time that I knew that you had these difficulties with your stay.
I hope you will give me another chance in the future.
Tinton Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I loved the Fairfield Inn! Me and my husband stayed in the lovely Patrick Henry room for two nights while we visited Gettysburg. We take a Halloween vacation every October so we try to pick a good haunted spot and Gettysburg did not disappoint us. The Fairfield Inn was exactly what we were looking for. I felt I was transported back in time. I also had a ghostly experience that added something really special to the trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I went to the Fairfield Inn for a weekend getaway to celebrate his 30 th birthday. After driving two hours in the pouring down rain, we were very disappointed to discover the room had no heat. The Inn Keepers solution was to give us extra blankets for our two night stay. Obviously we were nit looking to bundle up like Eskimos for the next 48 hours, so we had to turn around and drive all the way back home. The Inn keeper was not the least bit apologetic and was actually a tad arrogant about the whole thing. Lots of other people have had good things to say about this Inn and I don't discount their reviews, but my experience was not good at all.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HapyKamper
John G K, Owner at The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I remember this couple well. They were understandably not happy with the lack of heat. It was early in the cool season, and the workman came the following week for system maintenance. I did apologize to them for the inconvenience, refunded all their money, and wished them a safe journey.
The couple did seem to enjoy their meal in the restaurant.
Bennington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We just came back from a wonderful trip to Pennsylvania. We stayed at the historic 1757 Fairfield Inn and were delighted and pleased at our stay. The owner John is very friendly and a terrific innkeeper. He gave us several tips on where to eat in Fairfield and Gettysburg and we were not disappointed! The room was charming and historic! Any minor problems we encountered while at the inn were immediately fixed with graciousness and humor. We loved the historical aspect of the Inn with a very modern and clean bathroom.

We enjoyed breakfast at the Inn each morning and enjoyed our server and chef Terry. We stayed a week and by the 2nd day he had our beverage choices ready as soon as we were seated. Breakfast was delicious and something different everyday. It was more than enough to get us through our morning activities . One day we had an apple dish in a ramekin as one of the breakfast sides and it was the perfect fall breakfast treat.

We had dinner at the Inn one night and it was just perfect. My husband had their signature dish of chicken and biscuits, I had the Yankee pot roast. One of the side dishes was punkin fritters, they were melt in your mouth heavenly delicious. It was all scrumptious!

If you are traveling through this area and looking for a Bed and Breakfast this is the place to stay. I was nervous at first as we had booked this vacation a year in advance and the Inn had changed owners during that year. All my fears vanished by the first night there. We will plan to use this Inn again on future trips. We love this area of Pennsylvania and are sure to return! If you are not looking for a Bed and Breakfast just go to the Inn for dinner in the Tavern or restaurant. You are sure to be pleased, We were!!

Room Tip: We were in the Grumble Jones room it had a smaller bathroom than the other rooms, we peeked when the...