“Comfy, Friendly and Loaded with History”

The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757
Ranked #1 of 1 Fairfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2011

We were nervous about booking the Fairfield because of the odd mixture of good and bad reviews on Trip Advisor. But we're delighted we did. We experienced all the "goods" and none of the "bads". The owners, Sal and Joan, could not have been more accommodating; starting with the booking process, room selection and a few extras we wanted. We asked for flowers, wine and snacks in the room on arrival. Sal somehow found beautiful flowers on Mother's Day weekend and located our preferred wine. We stayed in the 1757 Suite, which is 250 years old, nicely redone and cozy. It does have the small windows typical of its time period but we liked it, largely because of its period charm. We looked at other rooms, including the enormous Three Colonels Suite, which has a balcony, more windows and would have been great if we had our kids with us. We didn't see the dirt mentioned by another reviewer. My wife hates poor housekeeping so I think I would have heard about it. Some of the upholstery was old but it fit nicely with the house. Ditto the oddly fascinating parlor chandelier. We didn't eat dinner at the inn so we can't comment on that. We did, however, have good breakfasts, cooked at the time we chose and without delay. The bacon and scones were to die for. The free internet was a plus. The inn is about twelve minutes from the battlefield, further than some other accommodations. We thought this would be a plus because we'd away from the crowds but it turned out to be a non-issue in early May. It might be nice in the summer though, when Gettysburg center is supposed to get pretty congested.

But the key to our enjoyment of the place, besides the owners, was that it oozes history. Every room has a story and they'll tell you all about it. For us this was a deal-maker. We were there to visit Gettysburg's battlefield for the first time. We had the unique pleasure of being able to begin and end those visits at an inn that accomodated Robert E Lee and his officers after the battle ... and the underground railroad ... and... and... and. The history never stops at this place. That fit our agenda perfectly. So we were happy at the Fairfield and would stay there again.

If you like modernity and 90 degree angles and dislike the eccentricities of old buildings, you'd probably prefer someplace else. There are plenty of such accomodations in and around Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Check out the photos and let the owners help
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank philget
There are newer reviews for The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757

Reviewed May 1, 2011

We had a fantastic trip to Gettysburg, and really enjoyed our stay at the Fairfield Inn. The hospitality can't be beat. The owner, Sal, is friendly, helpful, and has a great sense of humor. Annie and her girls are very gracious. They all were willing to spend the time to share with us the history of the Inn, and give us a tour. The food is out of this world!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank cindy031960
Reviewed February 26, 2011

My wife and I have been going to the Fairfield Inn for years and have never been disappointed. The rooms are first rate with all the modern amenities built into parts of a structure that dates from 1757. I brought my wife and son out for a quick weekend getaway last week and again it was a really fun experience.
We stayed in the 1757 suite which is great for the 3 of us and is in the oldest part of the building. For dinner, we ate in the tavern. We normally eat in the main dining room but that is currently closed for renovations. But with a roaring fire place, music, lots of happy people and Mary Lou as our server it was nice for a change.
After a couple of Kettle One martinis and a order of mussels for an appetizer Lisa ordered the chicken n biscuits, which came out piping hot with a huge mound of stewed chicken smothered in homemade gravy all over a fresh homemade biscuit. Me, being the trouble maker asked if I could order a half rack of lamb with a crabcake (something not on the menu).
The lamb came out wonderfully seasoned and cooked to a medium rare perfection. The crabcake was almost nothing but crab, was moist on the inside with that nice crunchy golden brown exterior that I love.

This was topped off with a couple of pieces of really good cheesecake and two Sambuccas served in warmed snifters. Did I mention that, as a former bartender, how much I like stuff like that?
To say that we were more than satisfied with our stay and dinner would be a severe understatement. In fact, my wife is already bugging me about having our Son's birthday party there in March. Oh, darn if we have to :)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank jno1863
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This was a surprise getaway for me and I was told by my husband and friends that I was going to a Fairfield Inn. I wasn't very thrilled about it because I wanted something a little different and not the same 'cookie cutter' type of vacation.
When we arrived, I wasn't at a Fairfield property but at the Historic Fairfield Inn which was built in 1757! It was fantastic. A stone home with B&B rooms, a restaurant and tavern which has the oldest liquor license in the Gettysburg area. The rooms we all had (six rooms all total) each were beautifully decorated and had their own gorgeous big bathrooms. Our room had a private balcony and sitting area!
The dinner that night consisted of fresh local ingredients, I had the caprese mussels and seared tuna - to die for!
This place is a few miles from Gettysburg and worth the ten minute trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank ZeeZee1965
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We are so disappointed in our experience at the Historic Fairfield Inn. We had reservations for dinner but when we arrived we had to wait 15+ minutes for a table (right near the waitress station). Our server, Kim was petulant and bordered on anger because they were busier than expected. We ordered our meals, ate the soup/salad, then waited 45 minutes. Kim finally stopped by to see how our "meals" were and to inquire if we wanted dessert! We let her know that we had yet to RECEIVE our meals. She got them and... you guessed it - they were cold. When we asked them to be heated - she rolled her eyes and took the plates away. When the food arrived it was lukewarm. The Chicken Chesapeake had a "crabcake" that had no lump crab meat and tasted like stuffing it was so bready. At $33 for the entree you expected more. When we got our check we found that Kim was very concerned because we had a gift-card that required 18% tip. She pointed it out to us 3 times and in fact added it onto the slip herself. This shortchanged her because we normally tip 20%.

I was terribly disappointed - the main reason for our trip 4 hours away was the Fairfield Inn. I wished that we had eaten elsewhere!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rennfam
Reviewed October 22, 2009

A friend of mine had stayed hear a couple of weeks earlier and enjoyed it so , this being our first trip to Gettysburg, we booked there also. We arrived around two on Sunday afternoon. There were people eating but no one there to handle the lodging. I finally went to the kitchen and stopped the waitress. She said the owners had just left( they had been told what time we were coming) but she passed me off to the chef. Then the bartender came in and I was passed off to him. He got us set up in our room. Let me add that everyone we encountered there were very friendly and helpful.
Having never been to the inn, we booked the JEB Stuart room solely on it's historical merit. What we didn't realize was that it is on the front of the building, against Pa. 116, which is a very busy street. This made it almost impossible to sleep. This was our choice, but had we known about it in advance, we would have picked a different room. We were the only guest there for the two nights we stayed, which was nice, but a little strange. We had a key for the front door and our room. All other exits were locked. I guess we could have gone out a window had there been a fire. One other thing about the Jeb Stuart room, the floor slants noticeably away from both outside walls. This means that doors will not stay open and whoever sleeps on the outside of the bed is forever sliding down onto the person sleeping on the inside. Not a real problem, actually sort of quaint, adding character to the room. This also probably explains what earlier reviewers thought was ghost phenomena. Trust me, no self respecting ghost would stay in a room that noisy.
Since breakfast wouldn't be served until 8:30, I asked about coffee. The waiter took me to the dining room and showed me how to make it. No problem there. Breakfast Monday was on time and adequate. When we returned to the inn Monday night we met the owner, Sal, who was working on the books. He asked if we needed anything and said that someone would be in to fix breakfast the next morning. I got up around 7 Tuesday and made the coffee again and packed to check out after breakfast. We waited around until almost 9 and no one ever showed up. I noticed a small sign on the hallway table with a number to call in case of emergencies( I just happened to notice this, no one ever pointed it out to us). I called twice and the line was busy. I put my keys on the table and left.
I have very mixed feeling about my experience. It really is a nice old inn with a lot of history. The staff we met were very nice ( Jim, Brian) and helpful, and for all its quirks, we liked the room. Most of the problems were minor ones but on my blue colar salary $425 for this kind of service is hard to swallow. I just don't know if this laid back attitude cuts in in the B&B industry. It's good to a point, but after that, it poor business.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank canu49
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We paid a great deal of money to stay in sub-standard conditions. Lodging: The moment I laid eyes on soiled upholstery in the main parlor, I became worred. It got much, much worse upstairs. Food: My husband's steak was, "the second worse one" he'd ever eaten. I found a bit of matter stuck to the knife in my wrapped silverware packet. I could barely stay at the table after that. I swirled my fork in my wine glass, hoping to disinfect it! We adore history and were saddened by the misleading website. The site is indeed an old one, but it is not up to par for lodging. In the highly busy area of Gettysburg, it was alarming to realize we were the ONLY guests on a special event weekend!! We had a lovely time on our trip, but our stay at the inn was sleepless and stressful.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank likeshistory
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
The Lodges at Gettysburg
#8 of 23 in Gettysburg
Inn at Herr Ridge
Inn at Herr Ridge
#4 of 23 in Gettysburg

Been to The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757? Share your experiences!