“Glad I tried something new”
Review of Umami Asian Bistro

Umami Asian Bistro
Ranked #14 of 126 Restaurants in Exton
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Bored with my usual haunts, I was determined to try both a new restaurant and a new dish. I found Umani thru a web search and was impressed with TA reviews. Umani, has a somewhat upscale, urban feel about it, despite suburban strip mall location and the kitschy waving mechanical cat that greets from a counter by the door. Nicely furnished in an spartan and uncluttered way with a subdued and quiet atmosphere. Service was attentive and prompt. Tried the Crab Rangoon appetizer, a maiden voyage for me and it was delicious! Creamy crab filling in a delicately fried wonton, simply presently with shredded lettuce & red cabbage with a not too sweet dipping sauce. Also, had the Tiger Roll, salmon, avocado, spicy mayo, it was very good,fresh tasting, and had nice eye appeal. The vegetable lo mein was a bit of a disappointment. The dish could have used more vegetables and seasoning and the noodles were over cooked. $2 for a cup of green tea was a bit much. Next time I'll do water with lemon. My tab was just under $30. On whole I enjoyed my dining experience and will go again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Great place. It's in the strip mall so don't get lost

Great atmosphere. Service is very friendly
The food was fresh and quick to arrive.
Felt well taken care off by staff.

Will return

Reviewed June 24, 2013

When it comes to Japanese restaurants, I can be a bit of a snob. Having lived in Japan for several years, I turn my nose up at westernized so-called Japanese food. 'It's not the authentic taste!' I cry, delivering my verdict like a deadly thrust of a sharpened chopstick. There're many restaurants that have been skewered thus, and I was sharpening another verbal volley in preparation for visiting this restaurant.

So it was with some disappointment that I had to bite my tongue on this occasion - the food was actually surprisingly good. In fact, it was so good that I went again a few days later, and my taste buds sang with one accord once more.

I should point out that I didn't try any of the Chinese or Malaysian dishes. But if you're looking for some Japanese food, this place is good. It's disappointingly good.

1  Thank mqbd
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've been to Exton several times on business and was very pleasantly surprised by this new restaurant. So many of the so called "good" restaurants in Exton are barely average. Their menu's look promising but reality simply doesn't match. Umami is different. If anything, their menu sounds quite restrained, but the execution is fantastic. Really delicious pan asian and sushi that was fresh and tasty. Service is excellent too. It is a BYOB, but there is a decent wine store right next door, so no problem there. I'm European, so I actually thought the prices were very reasonable considering the quality of the ingredients. I will definitely put this on my go to list for next time.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Visited it the first week it opened and have returned over and over again. An unexpected pleasure in the wilds of Uwchlean township which is not know for it's diversity of foods. The service is exceptional, the food is consistently superb, and it is conveniently located. Throw in the discount coupons found on line and you end up with an almost perfect combination.