“We will try again...maybe it will be better.”
Review of The Villa Foglia

Ranked #10 of 16 Restaurants in Exeter
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

First time at this restaurant, and I am torn..

My wife had the seafood dinner. Wonderful shrimp (3), scallops (4), and (3) clams. Extremely small, chewy lobster tail, and a overcooked, fishy tasting sole. Half was great, half was not. Now we know. Her entree was $26.95. For that price she should have had a bigger portion, or at least, enjoyed her whole meal.

I had the shells and broccoli. If you like garlic, which I do, you would like this dish. If you don't, pick something else.

The homemade balsamic salad dressing was excellent.

The waitress could have been more helpful. We had to flag her down for drinks and missing items. Seemed distracted in setting up tables for the following day, and not as attentive to us. I asked her if she had any suggestions for dinner, being that I was torn between the risotto and the shells. She replied that they were two totally different things, so she couldn't offer any opinion. What???? Thanks for the help.

The owner/chef stopped at our table to check on us. He seemed very nice, and it was appreciated.

We used a certificate that apparently said that a tip would be included. My bad, I didn't see that on there. When my wife questioned the waitress, she got snotty, and was a little condescending. Everyone can be tired, or be having a bad day, so we will try this place again. But, I hope we have a different server.

2  Thank tpr73402016

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is NOT a chain restaurant. If you want authentic Italian food, Villa Foglia will provide it for you. Best marianara sauce we have ever had, the Veal, in any form, melts in your mouth. There is a full menu for both adult and children to enjoy. If you have special needs or requests regarding the preparation of your food, the staff and chef are pleased to accommodate you. You can be guaranteed consistancy with this restaurant. Villa Foglia has become our favorite place to relax and enjoy.

1  Thank nadine h
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Always enjoy Bernie's great sauces; two varieties of basic tomato gravy; marinara and tomato sauce. Excellent meatballs. Full menu of meat & seafood dishes plus pizza and sandwiches.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have been here twice and it was standard. I would visit again and try some different things on the menu. They have a nice selection of Italian dishes. I enjoyed the ceasar salad and the cappeletti soup more than my entrée (chicken parm that came with a side of spaghetti).
Food = 2.5/5 (good)
Price = 2.5/5 (good)
Service = 2.5/5 (good)
Atmosphere = 2.5/5 (good)
Overall = 2.5 out of 5 stars

Reviewed July 15, 2011

My wife and I visit the owners Bernie and Karen Foglia nearly every week. Note, I say visit as the atmosphere is more a comfortable visit with friends than a restaurant meal. Bernie is the chef and his wife Karen the waitress and both visit tables throughout the meal. Special requests are welcome and the food is prepared to order and excellent. The Calabrase (protein served with fried potatoes and peppers) is especially tasty as Bernie does not try to hide the dish in any overpowering sauce. Its just garlic and extra virgin olive oil simple and delicious. Not the least expensive restaurant in the area but you get what you pay for, grade a ingredients well prepared in large portions.
They have been in business for more than 30 years and there is no question why. I would recommend Villa Foglia to anyone.