“Perfectly fine for one night”

Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Nothing special, but it met our needs for one night. The room was clean and appeared to be recently updated, although a bit cramped for a family of four. The bathroom in particular was very small. My only real complaint was that the mattress was too soft. So, my back was sore when I woke up.

We stayed here after visiting family in the area. The next morning, we headed into Philly for some sightseeing. The hotel is right off I-95 and we were at Independence Hall in just 15 minutes (it was a Sunday morning).

This property does not offer breakfast, but is right next to a Denny's.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Hello and thank you for your review. I am sorry our mattress was too soft. I will share your comments with our staff and we will continue to improve our quality. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon in your future travels.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

If I could give this hotel a -1, I would. They gouged with the price knowing about the airport canceling flights, there's no shuttle, no hair dryer, no coffee maker, and such a small shampoo that it only serviced one if us. Never again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Ms. Chalhoub,

Thank you so much for your review. We take everyone's opinion and experience very seriously. As you may know Red Roof Inn has different types of rooms. I am sorry you did not get a chance to experience our newly renovated Superior King that does include hair dryer, refrigerator and microwave, iron and ironing board, coffee maker and other essentials. In addition, for those guests that choose a different type of room we have complementary items at the front desk, when our friendly Guest Services Representative would gladly supply anyone in need. Furthermore, I can assure you that as a company we never goug our rates and stay competitive with everyone in the area. Again, thank you so very much for your review and pleasant travels in the future.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed 10 days while visiting Phili, the room was very small and dark. I had to ask for towels and a hair dryer since it wasn't there when we arrived. WiFi internet was very unstable and no food store close by. Cleaning was done daily, but very sloppy and late during the day. I would never recommend or come back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Ms. Isabella O,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry we did not meet your expectation after your 10 day stay in Philadelphia. I wish during your stay you would have mentioned your issues so that you could experience our newly renovated Superior King that is bigger in size with large selection of amenities. Again, thank you so much for your review and pleasant future travels.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I booked this hotel after booking another Red Roof in Hickory, and thinking that the amenities would be the same. But not. The hotel was $78 plus taxes, and it was in remodel. The door doesn't worked properly, there wasn't a cofee maker nor a microwaves, the door was wet/painted and there was plenty of contractors in the morning. Just in front of this hotel there is a Motel 6 for $33.... seriously? I would recommend not to book this hotel until they finish the remodeling. Maybe then the price will worth it...but not now, for sure!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Mr. Cardena, thank you for your review. As we continue to improve our hotel with new rooms, I am proud to say that, even with better quality of the rooms then other hotels in the area, we are still competitively priced. Our renovation will be completed in a few weeks and we will gladly have you back. On a side note, Motel 6 price sign hasn't been working properly, their rate is $69.99. Thanks again for your comments and I hope you have great holiday season.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Visit family and friends in the area often. Always stay here. Yes it is an older building and they are upgrading. Staff is always friendly and professional. While I have read other reviews on the housekeeping...being in the cleaning business myself there are certain things I look at. Sheets are clean (mattresses are comfortable) and bathrooms are clean. Since they are remodeling. am am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Jody, Thank you so much for your review. Yes, we are almost done! New Rooms, new Furniture ...100% smoke free. I will share your comments with my staff and we are so glad you are coming back to stay with us. See you soon! Thanks again.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place is absolutely awful. When you start looking longingly at the Motel 6 next door you know you have a problem. LOL Got there late in the evening and opened up the door to a room that smelled like smoke among other things, had stains on every fabric service in the room (carpet, chair, bedspread, exposed box springs), including a big gooey spot right in the middle of the floor. Immediately asked for a different room and after inspecting it first. decided it was a better option (no goo and less smelly). However that room wasn't perfect. The night stand was sticky with what looked like spilled pop, there was a dirty rag in the shower and the chair in the room was filthy. This hotel is also not in a safe area, however I did see cops patrolling the parking lot regularly.

On the plus side, despite the thin sheets, the beds were amazingly comfy and the pillows newer and fluffy. Because the building is so old, it was actually pretty sound proof.

All in all, this was a pretty yucky place to stay and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I don't mind old, but I can't tolerate dirty which is just pure laziness on the part of the staff. One other sort of funny note, on the last day there (we stayed more than one night....shudder), housekeeping didn't even bother cleaning our room, they just threw clean towels on the bed which of course would immediately make them unclean.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CjmuehlbGSD
Julia C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. Negative reviews help us to correct the issues and make other guest enjoy their stay. As you may have noticed our property is going through renovation and soon we will have new rooms with hard wood floors and new furniture. If you ever in town try us again. Unfortunately, I cannot change the view of Motel 6, but I can assure you the quality of our rooms will be different. Thanks again for your candid opinion about our property.

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely the worst hotel I've stayed at in all my travels. First its way overpriced. $ 75 for a rundown out of date red roof inn? !?! It serms to me that they want todays guests to pay for the remodel. The room was dirty. I pull back the bedspread and there is a big stain on the corner of the sheet. I tried calling down to the office to get a new room. No answer. I walk down and no one is there. Sleep fully clothed in the bed. About 1 am I am woke up to knocking at my door. Its a hooker offering her services. I go back to sleep. Wake up the next morning and no elevator. Overall horrid.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank rubboss

Thank you for your review. I hope you can understand that this is not a typical condition or situation for this property. Yes, we are going through renovation however our rates are still comparable to the local hotels in the area. I would like to personally apologize for your experience and it is my hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Airport Waterfront Inn
Airport Waterfront Inn
#6 of 7 in Essington
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!