“Crackheads”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Essington
San Francisco, California
“Crackheads”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed here with my puppy because EVERY other hotel in Philly was booked for that week. This place is sketch. I could hear the speedfreaks through my room getting high. The room smelled of smoke. You will never get a taxi in this neighborhood and there's trash everywhere. Some of the staff is pretty friendly, while others are a tad moody. Housekeepers worked hard. Overall though, nightmare. You are NOT near downtown philly or absolutely anything you want to be near. Even my taxi driver was like, "you're staying HERE?" The pro's: They are pet-friendly which is great and the staff is generally nice as are the housekeepers.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a fitness center. Or a pool (be grateful).
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

We are on a 2 month trip across the USA with our dog and staying in Red Roof Hotels all the way. We only had one day to explore Philadelphia and this hotel was in a great location for doing that. The room was exactly as we had expected(GOOD as almost all Red Roofs are) - only one comment - no hairdryer in the room but you can borrow one from Front Desk, so not a problem. We had no problems with anything anyone else is talking about - no gangsters in car park, in fact, we walked form the hotel to the diner across the street for dinner and breakfast! As with most Red Roof hotels though the rooms tend to run hot and you have to have the a/c on all night and it's not the quietest!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I booked this facility because I had a very early morning flight out of Philadelpha International Airport. I made my reservation via the Red Roof "800" phone number and was told that the Inn had shuttle service to the airport and that I could park my car there for free while I was away. There IS NO SHUTTLE SERVICE. The desk clerk told me that they had "a guy who is fairly reliable" that could take me to the airport for $15, so I arranged for a 3AM pick up. My ride was late and informed me that it was a $20 minimum to the airport. On my return I took an airport taxi for $15. My room was adequate but out dated - sink and bathtub were stained. The facility is right next to Interstate 95 and directly under the take-off route for planes from the airport. If you are a light sleeper ths is not a good spot for you. While I was able to leave my car here I was advised to park it where it could be seen from the lobby, so I'm not so sure this is very secure place to park or stay. I would not ever use this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012
Upper Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Do not consider this area if you do not travel for work most of your time. Stay in a different area. This is no place for family vacations! This hotel is 3 miles from Chester, Pa. (pop 33000) which had 23 murders in 2011. I stayed here for the months of Dec 2011 and Jan 2012. There were 4 murders within 2 miles of the motel during that time. The motel could be the best reasonable cost option for this terrible, terrible area if they could get things together. The desk staff is very nice and helpful with the exception of one young black girl whose main purpose in life seems to be doing as little as possible. The rest are great. The housekeepers are excellent and rooms are cleaned very,very well. BUT… The place is overrun with mice. There are wild cats running all over the parking lot which should have been a clue. I changed 1st floor rooms twice after I saw mice in my rooms. This is probably due to the outside trash bins rarely being emptied and the poor grounds keeping. Trash is all around. Finally I moved to the 3rd floor and saw no more mice. The rooms are maintained poorly. Brackets falling off the wall, broken lampshades, loud or broken bathroom fans, filthy carpets and slow drains are the norm. I used some Red Roof “free night” certificates and when I got my credit card bill I was charged between $17 and $54 for some of these nights. They did promptly credit me when I sent documentation, but when you spend over $3000 at a place you should not expect to have to look for over billing. If you have to work in this area and consider this place, stay on a top floor, don’t walk around at night, and check in and out every day to avoid over billing. Red Roof needs to send in someone to straighten this place out to reach its full potential.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room to avoid mice.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank R0adWarrier
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

The room is the most reasonable in the area for a large chain in the area, although there are a number of other locally owned hotels in the immediate area. I was really surprised at the gangsters in the parking lot and staying at this hotel... I really was disappointed by the front desk clerk being friendly with such thugs, while I was checking in. This is not a race or class distinction; it is my being offered to buy marijuana in the 30 foot walk between my car and the hotel. However, the room was really nice and clean and well fitted.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidPlate
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stay at red roofs around the country. This hotel is very dirty, and very shady people hanging out in the parking lot. I've never had a bad thing to say about another red roof inn, but this place is scary.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Patrickecarlton
boston, massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

i have stayed at the red roof inn at the philadelphia airport many times and keep coming back because the people there are friendly, courteous, efficient, professional, and do whatever it takes to make guests feel at home. the office, maintenance, and housekeeping people are all very warm, work hard, and care about each guest. they are committed to their work and the hotel and it is a pleasure to stay at the inn.

best recommendation i can give!

royal hartigan phd, professor of music at umass dartmouth.
www.royalhart.com

Room Tip: so far as i have experienced, they are all good.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!