“Nice room but really rough neighborhood”

Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice room but really rough neighborhood”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

The room is the most reasonable in the area for a large chain in the area, although there are a number of other locally owned hotels in the immediate area. I was really surprised at the gangsters in the parking lot and staying at this hotel... I really was disappointed by the front desk clerk being friendly with such thugs, while I was checking in. This is not a race or class distinction; it is my being offered to buy marijuana in the 30 foot walk between my car and the hotel. However, the room was really nice and clean and well fitted.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidPlate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stay at red roofs around the country. This hotel is very dirty, and very shady people hanging out in the parking lot. I've never had a bad thing to say about another red roof inn, but this place is scary.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Patrickecarlton
boston, massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

i have stayed at the red roof inn at the philadelphia airport many times and keep coming back because the people there are friendly, courteous, efficient, professional, and do whatever it takes to make guests feel at home. the office, maintenance, and housekeeping people are all very warm, work hard, and care about each guest. they are committed to their work and the hotel and it is a pleasure to stay at the inn.

best recommendation i can give!

royal hartigan phd, professor of music at umass dartmouth.
www.royalhart.com

Room Tip: so far as i have experienced, they are all good.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
woolwich new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stay here a couple of time a month its great to stay, all the employees are very helpful,they will help you in any way can, find you restaurant ,call you a cab, the room are well priced and very clean they treat you like family i highly recommend it

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Santa Fe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

This Red Roof is convenient to PHL airport and just of I-95, exit 9A, 10 miles south of Philly. It is adjacent to a Dennys Restaurant. The room and accomodations are adequate for an overnight, and the staff is friendly. My complaints relate to the smelly deoderizer used by the housekeeping people, the lack of a coffeemaker in the room, and no shampoo provided as an amenity. Nevertheless, the price and location are "right."

Room Tip: All rooms are "outside" access, standard with Red Roofs. There are elevators to access 2...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Long island ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

We took a family trip to Philly and wanted to stay near the downtown area. We spent the previous night at Red Roof Inn at Princeton, NJ and had a pleasant experience so we took a chance going a Red Roof Inn by the Philly airport. when I got there, there were a lot of people hanging in the parking lot hanging out drinking in the parking lot. I saw one guy smoking a joint and five guys in a car blasting music. I had a bad gut feeling and went against it. I went to check in and had no problems until we went looking for our room on the second floor. I wanted to park right near our door and our room was located behind the hotel. When I drove past our room, the door was wide open with the lights on. I did not go to see it because I had my wife and my 15 month old son. I went back to the desk, complained and got a new room. My second room was closer to these thugs so I went back and decided to cancel so I went back to the front office and this time the clerk was like "what's the problem now" and I went off on the guy. While I was inside, my wife saw a guy open the trunk to his car and passed his friend a sawed off shotgun. She literally heard the guy say "pass me the burner" which in NY we know means a gun. As soon as I got back to my car my wife was crying and begged me to leave and so I sped off and never looked back. I guess there's a reason why the lobby was locked and the clerk spoke through a bullet proof window.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ss11717
Julia C, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Ss11717, we are so sorry about your recent experience with Red Roof Inn in Essington. This is NOT a normal occurrence for this property. Though we understand your concern for yours and your family’s safety I can assure you that this property is known for great service, location and price. This area is well patrolled by Tinicum Township police department and property security. This property is in very close proximity to all the best venues of Philadelphia entertainment we are sold out most of the weekends. Unfortunately for you that weekend was one of our busiest weekends; Philly’s game, Eagles game, Million Man March. Also, if you check our reviews prior to yours, you will see that our guests like this property and our service. After investigating this untypical view of our property, we would like to stress that this NOT a normal occurrence and what your experienced was nothing other than passionate Philly fans. I hope you let us and Red Roof Inns serve you again as a valued guest in the future.
Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I made my reservations ahead of time. Glad I did because it was Chaos when I arrived at the Hotel. I waited a good while before I was checked in. However, I must admit the young lady who checked me in was very nice. Once I got to my room it was very comfy. In fact I kind of miss the place right now.

My only complaint is that the walls were kind of thin. Due to hurricane Irene, you had alot of people from the Shore areas there with very loud barking pets, and kids shouting and running up and down the outside areas, shining flashlites and hanging out in the stairwells. We also did lose power for a few hours Saturday night. However, once the hurricane passed the place pretty much cleared out and Sunday night was very quiet and peaceful. I also liked that it was near restaurants and I was able to get some grub at Denny's. I brought along my laptop and was able to access the WIFI. Even when the power went out the Wifi was still running.

For those who love to watch movies, you will probably disappointed as there were only a few cable channels (no premium channels). If you wanted to see any movies you had to pay and it was not cheap (around $15 per show) However, I had my laptop and was able to access my own netflix account so having only a few channels didn't bother me.

In addition, I like that there was a safe in each room that you can use because I worried about what I was going to do with my laptop. You can lock all of your valuables up without worrying.
My other issue was actually not the fault of the hotel but with Septa. The bus was not running due to Hurricane Irene which Septa never indicated on its website or via the news and I was stuck trying to find an alternate way to get to work. However, under normal conditions, there is a bus (37) that runs about every 20 minutes in each direction right outside of the hotel.
Overall it was a decent place and I didn't expect much from it but I was very comfortable there and will stay there again very soon. In fact that was one of the better hotels I have been to and I have stayed at places that were alot more expensive and not as nice. 4 stars..

Room Tip: Book ahead of time online. It saves time and headaches.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveling W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!