“What an Improvement!! Would recommend to anyone!”

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed May 17, 2007

We stayed this Ramada a couple years ago. Wow what a difference. The lobby looked newly renovated. Our room was large and clean. Get deal with the parking package. Would go there again.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank Kimberly K

Reviewed April 30, 2007

I honestly don't know where to begin. Do I talk about the staff, the filth, the smells, the food, the noise, the mangement or should I say LACK of. This was by far the most disgusting and poorly managed hotel I have ever stayed at and I travel a lot for business. When I walked though the doors of this hotel all I could smell was smoke and
mold - it was horrible. As I continued towards the front desk all I heard was laughing, shouting, music and cursing and this all was coming from the staff behind the front desk. I literally stood there for 7 minutes - 7 minutes I stood and waited for someone to acknowledge me in anyway. 2 seperate employees at different times even saw me standing there and I had to WAIT for them to finish their
discussion on men and sex before they would help me. The worse part is...I found out later that night that one of the employees that saw me waiting to be checked in turned out to be the Front Desk MANAGER.
No wonder the clerks behind the desk acted the way they did - they get their lead and example from some man who has NO clue on managing!!!!!

I was actually scared walking to my room. The hallways were dark and dirty and I did not feel safe at all. When I entered my room I immediately felt dirty. The walls were filthy, the bathroom had an odor to it, the bed looked old and worn and the windows were disgusting. I called down to the front desk and asked to be moved and was told I couldn't be. When I asked why..I was told just because we can't at this time. I did not unpack my bags and decided I
would just sleep in my clothes on the chair that was in my room cause
there was no way I was getting in that bed. I went down to get something to eat and I waiting 20 minutes to be seated, 10 to be greeted by my server and 45 minutes for my cold, uncooked old looking
food. I did not eat it - and the server never acknowledged that or asked if anything was wrong. When I left I asked the cashier if there
was a manager around and was told that not in the restaurant but maybe over at the desk. So, I went to the front desk and asked for a manager. The clerk went behind the desk to some office, closed a door
and came out and told me that no manager was available. I then asked for her supervisor. She started looking scared at this point and again she went back to that office. 15 minutes later the man I saw earlier in the day joking and cursing and making me just stand at the desk waiting to be helped came out and said he was the manager of the front desk. When I asked why I was told that he wasn't available he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. I proceeded to tell him my problems over the course of the night and all I got was "I apologize" and was given someone by the name of Renee who I could write a letter to.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Is this customer service? Is this acceptable??? Obviously at this Ramada it is. I wrote the letter and never got a call or response from the person Renee that I was referred to. I have since adviced my company and all of the ones that
I visit weekly thoughout the United States to never ever ever use this hotel again when coming through Philadelphia. To the management of Ramada CORP who I hope read this review - you need to SHUT THIS PROPERTY DOWN NOW and get rid of ALL OF YOUR MANAGEMENT - it is a disgrace and a joke and it ruins the crediability of the Ramada name!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
8  Thank ChickyVIP
Reviewed March 10, 2007

We were sent to this hotel by US Airways after they delayed our flight till the following day. Yes, they paid for it. Yes I would rather sleep outside near the disgusting pond I saw on the way to the hotel. ARE YOU JOKING ME??? It was the worst things I have seen...EVER. DO NOT stay here. It really is sad because it gives some people a bad impression of Philadelphia. The real Philadlephia is a beautiful city with so much class and style. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank hdinnba23
Reviewed February 14, 2007

This hotel is absolutely horrible. The only desent thing about this place is the vicinity to the airport and the parking which is gated so you didn't have to worry too much about your vehicle while on vacation. Parking was included in the price of the room which was cheap. Shuttle drivers were pleasent but slammed the luggage around so much that carefully packed souveniors were destroyed. They say you get what you pay for, however, I don't think that you should have to sleep in a scum hole because of it. When we arrived it was late and pouring rain and you don't notice all the grossness right away. I was too tired to complain and just needed a place to stay one night to catch a flight in the morning. I'm sure going through the hassle of changing rooms at 11pm would have resulted in sheets just as dirty and god only knows what on the floor. All I asked for were 2 styrofoam cups so we could drink the coffee provided in the morning. When the maid showed up with them she practically shoved them at me. After inspection I noticed one had a hole in it. Gee thanks, problemed solved. I laid on one little section of the bed all night in my clothes and could hardly sleep for how gross it felt. My husband kept saying "that's why they call it Filthadelphia". We did not bother with whatever breakfast they offered, I could only imagine. I did right a letter for how displeased I was but recieved no response, no apoligy or anything, they obviously couldn't care less.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank KerryA
Reviewed November 8, 2006

This hotel is quite simply the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. The overwhelming stench of smoke hit us like a wall as we entered, which was carried through to the corridors and the room. They apparently had no free non-smoking rooms. The floors were covered in stains and so was the ceiling in the bathroom. Gross. The biggest problem though was the noise. I could hear every tap turning on in the building, as well as everyone staying there. Loud rattles, bangs, beeps, all through the night, I must have got about two hours sleep on the lumpy uncomfortable bed. Put simply, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It was terrible. I would give it zero stars, but that unfortunately isn't an option here.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MattSugden
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I cannot recommend this hotel. On the plus side, I found the rooms clean (albeit somewhat dated and worn), but that was just about it. My negative experiences are as follows:
Hotel check in staff don't really seem to know what they are doing, they are slow and tend to communicate in "grunts". When we checked in our room was not ready (despite it being 3pm) and were allocated another room. The Air con did not work properly, so we were moved. That's fine, but then they tried to check another member of our party into the room we had just been moved out of!!
I used one of the vending machines and pressed for coke, but got water. I told reception staff who just shrugged and said "It's not our money, you need to call the vendors".
We had breakfast there and really wished we hadn't bothered. After waiting over 50 minutes for our order we questioned the waitress who told us "You'll just have to be patient". When it eventually arrived I had bacon (and had asked for sausage). What do you think the waitress did when I told her the order was wrong? She picked the bacon up with her bare hands and removed it from my plate in a strop!!!
There were rennovations being carried out in the hotel. That's fair enough, but no attempt was made to hide it or keep it clean and our floor looked like a building site.
The outdoor pool was closed (no explanation) and could not be used.
I did not use the gym, but took a look at it. It is tiny, dirty and the equipment is very poorly maintained. I would even say it is hazzardous - the treadmill had a side panel hanging off it.
I asked to use the phone in reception to call one of the other rooms and the guy who dialled for me did not speak to me (or even make eye contact) - and he had "supervisor" on his badge!!
I have a strong feeling that our bad expereinces were not one-offs or down to bad luck - this place is obviously having problems and desperately needs new management to sort it out.
Until then, avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
11  Thank kinsticker
Reviewed June 29, 2006

I stayed at this property in June thinking that it was a Ramada - this was a joke! When I walked through the doors I noticed that the lobby was busy. I found out that due to the rain a flight was cancelled and the people in the lobby were checking in. So wet and tired I waited and watched. The front desk staff was a joke. They were rude and ignorant and so unhelpful. They seemed more interested in talking about their personal lives than helping out the guests. When it was time for me to check in - WOW....I am not usually a angry person but honestly I was fuming at the employees behind the desk. They couldn't find my reservation and questioned me and if I really even made it. Then the reservations manager (who seemed like she didn't have a clue and drank way to much coffee) tried to find it ...20 minutes later it was there-mispelled. I was told that my room request could not be honored due to the fact that a flight just came in and took all the rooms. When I explained to the Reservations manager that mine was booked first and guaranteed and that I wanted what I was paying for - she got very defensive and starting really giving me a hard time. She then turned to the man at the desk and said " I can't deal with this and walked away from me". The man (Mike) at least was pleasant and tried to find what I asked for. As I was standing there I heard the girl (Alexis) and another employee (Tina) talking loud in the back and laughing and stuff...yep - you guessed it -they were talking about me. I heard it, Mike heard it, the other guests standing at the desks heard it. I finally went up to my room only to have it not made up and dirty. (This happened twice ! ) I finally decided that enough was enough and I went down to talk to the Manager. Well guess what - there was no manager on duty. I found out that the front desk manager quit, the food and beverage manager was fired and no-one else was on duty. And I got all that personal information from the front desk staff. I decided I would wait until the morning to talk to someone and went to yet another room that was finally a clean one - but old, smelly and worn and went to sleep. The next morning I came down to the desk and asked to speak with a manager. I was given the Human Resources Manager (Rene) to speak with. She was a absolute joke. She didn't seem to care or really hear at all what I was saying and kept trying to defend her staff and hotel even though they were wrong ! When I asked if there was someone above her that I could speak with she gave me a business card of the General Manager and told me that I would have to write a letter. Needless to say her and I had words and I took enough information down to report her to Ramada corp.
I did write the letter and have yet to hear from anyone. This hotel is a joke. No-one there is professional or nice or has time for the guest. It's all about personal conversations and phone calls and attitude. The lobby smelled so badly of smoke and the whole atmosphere of the property was old, dirty and scarry.
My recommendation - go somewhere - anywhere else but there!!!!!

17  Thank wildbig
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!