“Fundamentally an airport hotel, with excellent service, clean rooms and at the right price!”

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I stayed here for one night (August 16, 2010) while meeting a friend who was flying into PHL.

This hotel is where US Airways- the biggest carrier in and out of PHL—and several others, including my airline, have their crews overnight. As such I was able to get a deeply discounted travel industry rate for my stay.

** The Hotel / Location **
The location of this hotel is a bit of mixed bag. On one hand it’s very close to the airport itself- no more than :15 away by taxi/van/shuttle, however, on the other hand, aside from a few casual sit-down restaurants, there really is nothing walk-able in the immediate area.

If you have a car, then there are numerous eateries or other attractions not far. The hotel has made special arrangements with a few nearby restaurants for delivery if you like and these places all deliver to midnight or later on weekends.

** Lobby / Check-in **
Due to my late evening arrival (nearly 22:00), I had to call the hotel for their free shuttle. It runs on 15 intervals from 06:00 to 20:00, all other hours are “on-demand”.

When I spoke with the hotel, I was told where to wait outside curbside (zone 4) and asked for my name and a general self-description.

The van arrived no more than :10 after my call and the driver called me by name. My bags were courteously put into the rear baggage compartment and we left the airport.

A short :12 minute ride (I timed it) later, the van arrived, my bag was unloaded by the driver—a very pleasant lady-- and I walked into the lobby. I was checked in very quickly and assigned my room on the 6th floor. I was also given complimentary access to their “crew room".

The front desk staff did a few nice touches for me as well; they asked me if I was interested in that day’s newspaper or if I needed a walk-up call for the next morning. I decline the paper, but did ask for a 07:00 call.

Once nice thing is that the hotel has a direct live information feed from the PHL airport, so there is a flight information screen right in the lobby—synced with the airports' system, so you can see flight information in real-time.

** My Room **
My room was decorated rather plainly, with forest green carpet, two twin beds with nice yellow-gold bed covers. There was a small table with twin sitting chairs. The work desk was medium sized with good lighting and extra power outlets. The TV was the older style “tube” TV, but was more than sufficient with all local, national, premium movies and even a few euro-language channels.

There was a floor/wall-mounted air conditioner/heater combo which worked well, and when I did run it on high cool it really wasn’t very loud and I could sleep just fine with it on.

My room overlooked the main parking lot and there was a small balcony by not large enough for any furniture. There was a stocked coffee and tea set, a full sized folding ironing board and iron and shoe polish kit.

** Bathroom **
The bathroom was a touch small, but more than sufficient for one. Older style sink fixtures and a standard tub style shower. Water pressure more than ample and water ran hot nearly immediately.

The hotel provides a fair selection of lightly scented bath toiletries all branded from the San Francisco Soap Company.

I will say that to the hotels credit, my room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and well maintained without exception.

Hotel facilities and Amenities:
The hotel had several very large conference rooms, an outdoor heated pool (on the back side of the hotel) which is seasonal, a decent sized fitness room with machines and some free weights.

There is one main restaurant that serves all three sitting and one lounge. The menu isn’t inspiring, but features a fair range of food.

** SUMMARY **
This hotel is fundamentally an airport hotel and is geared to that line of clientele. You probably wouldn’t stay here if you were visiting the greater Philadelphia metro area for a few days, but if you are either flying into or out of the PHL airport and you need good, reliable, clean and reasonably priced overnight accommodations, this IS a great option for you.

The service from staff was excellent; the hotel itself is well maintained, secured and kept very clean. I’d have no issues either staying here again or recommending it to friends.

** PROS **
A very short distance from the airport and has free 24/7 scheduled shuttle service either on on-demand as needed. Hotel and faculties are geared to the business or traveling person.

** CONS **
This hotel is in a rather limited access area and if you don’t have a car or use other transport options, there is not much that is truly walkable from the hotel grounds.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank GOPBI
There are newer reviews for The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed June 29, 2010

I stayed at this hotel the night before an early flight. The location is close to the airport with convenient park and fly facilities on site. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. There is a restaurant and bar onsite so there is no need to even go out....everything you could want is all on site. Rodney, the parking shuttle driver to the airport was so friendly and engaging. I highly recommend this hotel as I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank BethSeid
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Although I did not stay at the hotel, I parked my car at the hotel's Park and Jet parking lot while in Florida for a week. When I returned I inadvertenly left my laptop on one of their shuttles. After I discovered the laptop missing I contacted the Park and Jet staff. They were very accommodating. They spend over an hour retracing my steps and rechecking the shuttle on which I traveled. They called me back several times for additional information throughout the process. Somehow, several days later, the laptop turned up in one of the rooms at the hotel. A room maid found the laptop and turned it in to management. Management found my company’s name on a document inside the laptop case and went out of their way to find my contact information. My laptop was returned intact.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Walt03
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Every time I come to this town I stay at this hotel. The rooms are so comfortable and the customer service is wonderful. The location is great. Anything you need is there. This is a great place to stay. Make it your home away from home. You'll feel save there. The money is very much worth the stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank deanygray
Reviewed May 3, 2010

If you must stay near the Philadelphia airport, there have got to be nicer places at the same price. This hotel is drab, has poor air quality, and has a staff that is superficially helpful but basically ignorant of how to actually make things comfortable for you. The food in the restaurant is nearly inedible and the room service breakfast WAS inedible and it took all my assertiveness to get a refund. And there is NOTHING nearby. The hotel does provide a shuttle to the airport which is a couple of miles away but without a car, you are stranded at this hotel with absolutely nothing to do. I am still puzzled why the conference organizers chose this venue, although I assume they got an amazing deal. On the positive side, wifi was free, rooms were clean enough, and they handled the master bill fine.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank molevin
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I stayed at this Ramada last week because a function was being held in one of its ballrooms. I thought it was a good enough value based on the fact that it was close to the airport and major highways. The room was standard Ramada. I thought that the rooms and the interiors could use a little more updating. The staff was efficient and accomodating. I had a dinner party at the in-house restaurant. I expected more given the prices, We were a bit dissapointed in the entrees although the ribs were good and the bacon wrapped scallops were delighful. Service was good.

It's a business hotel for short overnight stays.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2010

The staff and the hotel were excellent and very accomodating. Several of our attendees made the comment that they were so happy with the hotel staff and their willingness to assist them with their requests.
The marketing staff did an excellent job of providing quotes and menus and also made suggestions on set up of conference rooms and worked with our advance people very well.
I would strong recommend you all check this site out for your next confernce Food is excellent, well prepared, and reasonable in pricing. This hotel will be on our list of future conferences in this area.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!