“Nicely Renovated”

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This property was formerly a Ramada Inn that was in dire need of renovations. It was recently renovated under the new Clarion brand and they did a nice job. I was overnighting in the PHL area and all of the usual hotel choices were sold out. I was hesitant at first, but booked the room since it was only one night.

The weather in the area had caused flight delays and cancellations which made the front desk extremely busy. I was very surprised at the professionalism of the two people behind the desk. They were multitasking between the phone and guests checking in and did so without a hint of frustration. The one thing that was evident is the need to have the shuttle dispatcher answer the phone as half of the calls were forwards bouncing from the dispatcher. The check in went smoothly and I was give room 707.

I had stayed in this hotel several times before and appreciated the quality of the renovations. The lobby has a fresh presence and the restaurant looked inviting. The room was decently appointed and comfortable. I ordered room service and was pleasantly surprised again. The food was reasonably priced and did not take an inordinate amount of time despite the hotel being full. Although the menu is a bit limited, my meal was delicious.

While the renovations overall seemed good, the property is still a bit dated. However, it is on a par with the recently renovated Holiday Inn and Wyndham hotels in the same area. Don't overlook this hotel as you might be pleasantly like me.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ejbondar

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Nice clean property with a very friendly and helpful staff. The restaurant and room service is a great convenient feature as well. Would definitely stay here again and would refer this property as well to colleagues and friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We had to stay here unexpectedly when our son was released early from the hospital. This hotel is near the airport and has 24 free shuttle service with your stay... Our flight wasn't until 9pm the following day, so I asked if it would be possible to get a later checkout as we really had no where else to go. They were great about it and gave us a 3:00 check out time, then moved us to a different room so my son could see the airplanes go by (they were far away enough that we never heard them btw, so don't worry about airport noise! Not an issue) The hotel is nice. It's been renovated, however there are some parts of the room that still show its age (door widths, multiple layers of paint on and around doors, etc...) but it is clean and you can tell the people here like their job, so service is good as well. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again! The restaurant is a little over priced, but its very good- I would recommend it as well.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was very happy with the quick pickup and drop off turnarounds. Parked here for the first time for PHL Airport and my experience was great. As soon as I parked, a shuttle was waiting to take me to the airport. My drivers were friendly and helpful. Good prices to park for 7 days. Also found a Groupon for a cheaper deal here. Only think to consider is on your way back from the Airport make sure to call them and let them know that you are headed out and would require a shuttle. This will save you some time.

I will definitely park there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank antsanshul
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

The nighttime desk clerk was delightful. Room was clean. Our car will be parked there for the duration of our trip. It's all for one park/sleep/fly price and it's a good deal. If the owner updated the decor the price would have to go up. It reminded me of my friend's parents house during the early 1980s, when we watched Martha Quinn and Alan Hunter on a 13-inch Sony Trineton as they hosted MTV videos. That pleased me.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I attended a conference at the Clarion and although the accommodations were adequate, the service was, at times, under par. For the most part, the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. However, the restaurant was apparently understaffed for the number of conference attendees pouring into it on a Saturday for lunch. It took us over an hour and a half (closer to two hours) for a very simple menu luncheon. I probably should have simply ordered the buffet even though I wasn't particularly interested in the pasta. But the thing that really soured me on my stay with this hotel was a negative experience I had with the manager on duty today (Sunday, June 29). We had an issue with our truck being blocked in, which delayed our loading and departure by about twenty minutes. When an employee named Sam informed the manager on duty that I needed to speak with her she avoided me, apparently hiding out in her office. She left me standing there for ten minutes and then walked past me to converse with another guest. Finally, Sam came back by and realized that I was still waiting and he and another employee jumped in to help (they quickly resolved the matter for me). The manager was neither concerned nor apologetic. To the contrary, she seemed quite smug and complacent. Had she worked for me I would have fired her on the spot (and probably given her job to Sam).

Room Tip: If you go to the restaurant and they are at all busy, opt for the buffet if you can. Also, if you n...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed because of a flight delay. This hotel was one that was recommended by the airport and the rate was reduced. The shuttle was prompt and the hotel was only 15 min away from the airport, so no airport noise. The staff was friendly and efficient during check in. We got the room requested which was very clean. Excellent free WiFi and access to computers was a plus. The on sight restaurant had a decent food but the menu was somewhat limited. All of the food appeared to have been cooked to order. Because of the shuttle service and proximity to the airport, we would stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!