“Very poor weekend management for guests and no follow up.”

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Bucks County Pennsylvania
“Very poor weekend management for guests and no follow up.”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I am sure this is a nice hotel but FORGET doing a park, sleep, and fly on weekends. When we arrived, there was no place to park- the lobby was packed with people attending 3 separate events( 2 weddings and a senior speed dating event), and there was virtually no help. We had a good deal of luggage ( were going on a cruise ) and there were no carts available or any other alternative. After waiting in line for 20 minutes, the girl told us we had to park in a different lot around back- said if we came down after midnight there would be plenty of spaces or we could just leave it around back.I told her we were disappointed and she replied flippantly "this is a weekend. We are a convention center" And on weekends that is what they do -- they do NOT care about travelers wanting a hotel room. We finally got in our room ( which was very nice) about 1 hour after we arrived. When we came back from our cruise it was late at night and very quiet, and we were ready to drive home. The lot they had directed us to was locked. They had no key and didn't seem to know what to do.Why would hotel employees not have a key to part of their own parking lot? They had to obtain one form the next door parking service shuttle driver who was "making pick-ups" It took us over an hour and a half to retrieve our car. I asked for a manager- apparently none on duty at night??At one point the lady behind the desk said, "Well we could give you a room" but I told her we had been away a week and were anxious to get home. I asked if there was somewhere I could get a drink of water and she pointed to a vending machine, I left a note and asked that a manager contact me next day and of course never heard anything. I think if the desk personnel were a little more interested in customer service and had been sympathetic and apologetic, it would have made a world of difference.Can't believe a Clarion could have such poor customer service. It was a very bad way to begin and end a vacation.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor if a weekend even if it means long elevator waits.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason B, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear fab143,

First of all, thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Philadelphia Airport for your Park, Sleep and Fly Package. I would like to apologize that you were not satisfied with your experience. During your stay, we did have three very large conventions going on simultaneously and the hotel was packed. We typically try to keep our transient guests away from any and all groups but during a heavy convention, it is very difficult. The customer service that you experienced is not indicative of our staff. Please contact me directly so we can discuss your stay in more detail.

I would like the opportunity to have you revisit our hotel and give us another try. You won't be disappointed. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jason Bloom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Northampton, pa
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had a one-night stay on May 31-Jun 1, before our flight to Orlando on the 1st at 7:00 am. The reservation process was wonderful with the help of Barbara Gumbs. The check-in process was quick and efficient and we were given a room on the 3rd floor. Room was very clean and quiet. We visited the lounge but decided to walk up to the Denny's which was only a couple blocks away. Our check-out at 3 am was smooth as well, very pleasant staff. We also had reserved a 14-day SECURED parking rental at the Park and Jet which was right next to the hotel. Because we stayed at the Clarion, the Park and Jet cost us only $50 for 14-days of secure parking..great deal. The Park and Jet has a Facebook page and they respond very quickly to any questions. At 3 am, we drove our car into the Park and Jet, we were immediately followed by their van who took us to the airport immediately. The driver, Mr. Fox, was very pleasant, loaded our 8 pcs of luggage :) and dropped us off right at the Southwest terminal. When the driver tells you your parking spot, we wrote it down right on the ticket so that when we were picked up on our return, we had all of the information with us. Very efficient and worry free. I didn't worry once about our car on our vacation. On our return, once we picked up our luggage, I called the Park and Jet, and we just had to walk outside of the Southwest baggage area and our driver picked us up within minutes. Again, a very pleasant driver. I started to remove my luggage from the bus rack, but the driver kindly said he would get it for us. I showed all of our hotel and parking receipts to the attendant at the gate and we were quickly on our way out. Overall, this was a great experience, and for the rate we paid for the hotel and parking, there is no reason to stay any closer to the airport. I would stay here again and I plan to recommend this hotel and Park and Jet to anyone I talk to who may be flying out of Philadelphia airport. Thank you all for a pleasant, no-hassle experience. Joanne

Room Tip: As with any travel, talk with the hotel before you arrive. It is much easier for staff to meet your...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jason B, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear J M,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Philadelphia Airport for your recent stay. We greatly appreciate all of your positive feedback about your entire stay. We are the only airport hotel that offers a true Secured Park, Sleep & Fly Package with our Park&JET Secured Parking Lot located adjacent to the hotel. We are glad that your experience was great and we appreciate the extensive feedback.

With so many choices here at the Philadelphia International Airport, we greatly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Hotel has been newly renovated. Room was pretty big and clean. Beds were ok. Hotel restaurant was very nice and staff great. Easy to get more towels if needed. Free parking outside is great. I didnt get refrig or micro and I should have. Nothing really close except a Denny's in walking distance. Took the shuttle to airport and got the metro to Market East Station which has everything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear lyn0927,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Philadelphia Airport for your recent stay in June 2013. We greatly appreciate all of your positive feedback about your entire stay. We are glad that you were happy with your overall stay at our hotel.

Cambridge, MA
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hotel was fine. Our room was pretty good, only a few dings here and there. We've been at 4 hotels this week!, and so I can say that this hotel was not quite as nice as the Hampton Inn which is also near the airport, but it was also a little cheaper. (I don't know whether our room was pre or post renovations, I suspect pre.) We were three people and made a reservation in advance for a room with two double beds, but there was only two sets of towels, but we didn't bother to request more and it's not a big deal. Everyone was very friendly. The airport shuttle was prompt, and the driver very nice and he helped with luggage. The room was very quiet. Parking was tight at one point because the conference center seemed to be hosting a high school graduation, but we found a parking spot eventually, and it was actually very sweet to see all the happy families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jason B, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear tzarac,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Philadelphia Airport for your recent stay in June 2013. We greatly appreciate all of your positive feedback about your entire stay. We apologize for the parking issues during your stay, we have been completing new blacktop and pothole repairs to our parking lot and had to block off sections of our parking lot.

Tulsa
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Didn't know this hotel host a lot of events as my family spent of all nights Saturday. Partiers were in and out, loud music, loud guest late in the night. as for the rooms and lobby, they were clean, the the agent (kwithe.pa665) that checked me in was outstanding, very professional and did accommodate me with a nice discount when they didn't have any doubles left. Other than Saturday nights, I would stay again.

1 Thank stevenre1969
Dear stevenre1969,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Philadelphia Airport for your recent stay in June 2013. I would like to apologize for your recent stay at our hotel and the noise issues that you experienced. We do host a lot of events and this one actually took over almost 75% of our hotel so we tried to keep our transient guests away from this group. Apparently, you were given a room on or near the floors that this group utilized. Most of the groups we accommodate do NOT have noise issues and we generally avoid noise issues by separating our groups from our transient guests. I can assure you that this is not a typcial situation that occurs at our hotel. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further or if we can assist you with any future reservations.

We appreciate your positive feedback about the rest of your stay, including the rooms, lobby and service that you encountered.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I went to this hotel as my niece was having her reception at the hotel. This could have been an absolute disaster as the (So Called) Director of Sales almost ruined the day by not being cooperative to my niece the bride the day before the wedding. The Saving Grace for the day was the F & B Manager Jeffrey W. who was so accommodating. He stayed with us the night before until 3am to ensure the room was set to our satisfaction. And He was there the next morning as well to make sure the day went great. Overall the day went well. The food was Ok, the service was excellent. Thanks Jeffrey for making the day manageable.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andre A
Dear Andre A,

Thank you very much for your feedback about your niece's wedding at our hotel. Unfortunately, our Wedding Specialist was unavailable due to a very serious emergency the week leading up to the wedding and the Director of Sales had to take over the wedding just days before. Other than some miscommunication, everything worked out fine in the end and the wedding was a success. I personally spoke to your niece about this situation and everything has been resolved to her satisfaction.

We are very happy that the wedding was a success and we wish the bride and groom many happy years together!!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I hosted a corporate event here for two days. Two full days of training, one cocktail reception. The sales/catering team were great and I was very impressed with the food. The facility is undergoing renovations and I was pleasantly surprised at my comfort. The noise level at night was quiet, the new restaurant was very tasty. The gym needs some serious work. On the surface it looks fine, but the machines are junk. The ellipticals were in horrible shape and all three should have been retired 5 years ago. The spin bike - junk. Treadmills - something from a house that also should have been retired 5 years ago. Junk junk junk. I'd stay here again, thanks for the great hospitality! Jose in F&B was very accommodating!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear prnewman,

Thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Philadelphia Airport for your recent event. We greatly appreciate all of your feedback about your entire event and stay. I would like to apologize for your inconvenience in our fitness room, I've addressed all of the equipment with our maintenance staff to repair. We will address equipment replacement this year if it cannot be repaired properly. Also, thanks for mentioning one of our excellent managers, Jose in F&B!

Jason Bloom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park

Been to The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!