“Poor facility and poor service”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Recently stayed there for two nights. To begin, it was far away from airport, though they did have a shuttle van. And worse yet, it was way below typical expectations for a Holiday Inn Express. We were given either facing a boat storage concrete lot or another lodging next door, thus next to no view from window. The room was well below average, tight and poorly insulated from noise. Left for the day and returned found our room key cards did not work, and left uncleaned. Did not want to make a fuss, just asked for clean towels and shampoo. Waited forever, and had to ask again after more than one hour. The lady did not apologize for failing to deliver, was very defensive over the phone and blamed us for having the sign up, which was false as we did remove it when leaving for the day that morning. 110% positive on that as we needed to insert the card to the slot. which was empty. When a guy finally showed up, he did not have enough towels and we had to ask for more (we had 2+1). The guy questioned why, and I had to give answers twice. Overall, very bad experience in a poor facility. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Maybe on the far end from the front desk, upper floor. We were given either facing a boat storage co...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TCDenver
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear TCDenver,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I deeply apologize for the inconvenience you had with the location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations and the poor service you received from our staff. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed one night after a Philles game and we really liked this hotel. It's reasonably priced and there is a nice Harbor Deck restaurant next door where in warm weather you can watch planes either taking off or making their landing approch over the Delaware river. We would consider staying hear before taking an early flight out of PHL.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunfunbeer
W B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. I will make sure to let all of the employees know how your stay was. Looking forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel seems a little run down, despite being a recent renovation. The room was clean and comfortable. If you get dropped off at 9 like I did don't expect to get something to eat, the restaurant next door closes at 9 and there's nothing else nearby. My big complaint was the Internet. No wireless in the rooms (I wondered why so many people were working in the lobby at 9pm!). There is a hard connection in the room but the internet was very sloooow. If you're traveling on business and depend on the Internet to get your work done, I'd pass on this place.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your input. As I write this, we are underway to having wireless internet through out the hotel and on behalf of all the staff we would look forward to you staying with us in the future and letting us know how our new WIFI system works out for you. Again, thank you for input as it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was not one of my favorite Holiday Inn Express Hotels. Even though it lists wireless internet access in the rooms, this is not available. You can hard wire in the rooms, but must go to the public areas to use wireless. This did not help with my iPad or iPod in my room. Also, ice machines are only located on every other floor - Main floor and fourth floor. Room was very clean. A good price for the Philadelphia area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Thank you for your valued input. I apologize for the miscommunication in regard to WIFI being through out the hotel. Within a month of this response the hotel is expected to have WIFI through out the hotel. I am happy to hear your room was very clean and I will pass this onto the housekeeping department.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel did not come close to meeting my expectations for a Holiday Inn Express. Made the phone call from the airport lobby. It did take quiiet a while for the shuttle driver to arrive. The drive to the hotel was long. This hotel was quiet a distance from the airport. Out in the middle of nowhere really. Almost in the middle of a residential area/old boat dock. The outside of the hotel smells horrible. Disgusting actually....We checked in which was quick. The clerk was pretty friendly. I requested a room facing the water (unfortunately none of the rooms face the water) weird for a hotel on the water but ok....She provided the password and code for the internet. Which only hooks up via ethernet cable. No Wifi in the rooms...only in the lobby. Please upgrade. The carpet down the hall to our room was disgusting. Desperately needs a deep cleaning. The rooms were average. Beds were nice and the cable was nice. Small fridge in the room. Looked like the just put in there. It was just siitting on the floor. The bathroom was average size. Clean. No liquid soap. Breakfast the next morning was ok. Typical of a HIE. The orange juice was not orange juice...I am almost certain it had been watered down. My daughter said the apple juice seemed watered down as well. No food establishments close by...Only the restaurant next door (the Deck). Which was just ok......I think HIE has lost my business...this hotel just didn't make the cut.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room. Rooms on the left face the old boat dock.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I have shared your comments with the management staff. Our hotel is located 3 miles from the airport and I apologize if in any way we mislead you in thinking that we were closer. Our hotel is located in the residential town of Essington, PA; and is located next to a marina.
In regard to the horrible smell you reported outside the hotel, myself and three other managers investigated the outside surroundings and were unable smell anything wrong, however, you have my word we will continue to monitor the outside for any odors what so ever.
I am happy to report that within the next few weeks the hotel will not only have its existing hard wired internet service but we will have WIFI. Our juices in for breakfast come to us in sealed containers, and our management style would never be to water down any juice. Our goal has always and will always be to provide a wonderful HIE breakfast experience.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Hotel has been revamped from a much older property. It is OK. Nice location on a river, next to a small park. I travel with my job and used points to stay here. I was charged by HIE when I made the reservation, yet also charged by the property upon checkout. I left a message for the hotel manager, who has yet to call me back; thus, customer service for this property is totally unacceptable. Be aware of billing duplicates with no call back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Please accept my sincere apology in regard to the billing concern you have. I am hopeful that as of this writing this incident has been taken care of. If not, please call the hotel and ask for the General Manager or Assistant General Manager so can rectify the situation immediately. We await your call. Thank you.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

This hotel is located on the water with a great tiki bar next door (that gives 1/2 off an appetizer to hotel guests) as well as an interesting historical park. It's a little far from the airport, but they have a complimentary shuttle twice an hour.

The shuttle driver was not the friendliest or most professional, maybe he was having a bad day, but he got us to the airport.

I'm not sure any rooms have a good view the way the hotel is situated, but the rooms have high-end wood windows with internal blinds.

I was on a roll-away, so I can't comment on the standard bed. The room had plenty of space for the roll-away.

The bathroom is cramped, but the showerhead was good as was the water pressure and temperature.

They do provide a breakfast with a make-your-own pancake machine, some cereals, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, artificially sweetened yogurt, etc. but no fruit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel and I have shared your comments with the management staff. Our main concern was your comment in regard to the shuttle driver. We have held one on one meeting’s with each driver to go over your concern as that was unacceptable. Please accept our apology.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!