“Cheap, but that's all”

Airport Waterfront Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed January 10, 2014

And it was clean. But the room is spartan and furnishings tired. It took nearly an hour for the shuttle to arrive (apparently it was "shift change"). If your room is on the second floor, you will haul bags up outside concrete steps to get there. "Breakfast" items are colored chemicals/bread products which you will eat standing up in the manager's tiny office. Probably fine for a young backpacker, but if you've become used to even tiny comforts, avoid this one.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was just okay. We stayed here because rates were low and had to book trip at the last minute due to a family emergency. Beware! The hotel is next to a nightclub that will blast music until 2am! Nothing hotel can do about it but would have been nice to know!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2013

^ Like I said up there....unless you are okay with those things don't bother. The only plus side was the view at sunset of the bridge. and the small park you can walk to. I was lied to by omission. After reading previous reviews on here I called to ask about the noise level. They told me the outside bar was closed in the winter. So. I'm thinking SCORE!....If that was the only downfall then the price is great! Well, they didn't bother to tell me the INSIDE bar/club would still be open. I have a 4 year old and staying up until 2am and trying to go to a wedding the next day is unacceptable. I talked to management and they said *IF* you can find another hotel we will cancel with priceline. He knew that was a BIG fat IF because the Army Navy game was that weekend. The room was fair, remote didn't work, no coffee basket for coffee filters, and the linens/pillows were well worn. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying here.

Room Tip: I guess if you choose to stay here make sure your room is on the opposite side from the nightclub/ba...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived at the hotel using the free airport shuttle quite early in the day but were allowed into our room right away. It was quite a shock to enter the room, however, as the fan was on full blast and the air conditioning set at 54 degrees F! It must have been that way for a long time as everything was so cold to touch and all hard surfaces covered with condensation. This was on a cool day so it was the last thing we needed but an hour of heating had us settled. We were able to use the shuttle to the airport to connect with a train ride to downtown Philadelphia and return. There is a breakfast of sorts provided: a brown bag with a breakfast bar and a bottle of water. Some bags had pretzels as well. Coffee was also provided. The complimentary wifi worked fine. The room was quite small but adequate for our needs on a relatively quick Philadelphia stop over. The outdoor stairs area was not clean, and cat dishes were in a disarray at the bottom landing.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lasbris
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This place is next to a "beach club" on the waterfront. It's a very basic hotel, and half of the rooms face the courtyard that makes up that club. So yes, when the weather is nice outside, it's going to be noisy until 2 AM or so.

I booked here because I needed a place to stay after a late-night concert in Philly. Once I stopped for a bit at the 24-hour Denny's (maybe 3/4 of a mile away), it was 3:00 AM when I crawled into bed. No noise problems, and while the room was dated and very basic, it was clean and comfortable. Perfect accommodations for my needs, and reasonably priced.

So if you want a family-friendly experience, or if you intend to hit the sheets early for a morning appointment, you might want to consider another place. If you don't mind a little party atmosphere, and you'd like to maybe unwind with a drink - and save a few bucks in the process - this is your place.

Room Tip: If you want to limit the club noise, ask for a room facing away from the courtyard (toward the Holid...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve G
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I flew up from florida to visit a friend in Philadelphia. I arrived around 9 PM Friday night, the women who checked me in, I believe her name was possible Dawne? She was extremely pleasant and helpful. Helpful me find a resturant for dinner and a taxi company for the next day. The overall property looks a little sketchy but overall it was okay... (for the short time i stayed). The rooms were clean and actually pretty cute.

Around 11PM my friend I was meeting arrived and we went out to just drive around and grab a few things. When we got back to the hotel my key was not working. I came down to the office thinking it just demagnetized on my phone or something and when I arrived down stairs there was a man now working.. His name was Kareem. He didnt even say hi or ask what we needed when we walked in the office.. just stared at his computer screen until I said something... This is when everything went downhill. He just handed me a new key and said try this.. not very friendly. We went up and mind you our room was on the third floor so just have to keep walking up and down flights of stairs. Once again the key didnt work.. So i came down AGAIN and all he did was hand me another and didnt even apologize for then inconvenience.. I work in the hotel business and at this point I would have came up and personally opened the door for my guests if they were having this issue again. So now with a 3RD KEY it doesnt work. I refused to go down all those stairs and I called him from my phone and ask him to come up and open it.. HE SAID UHM OKAY AND HUNG UP!!!!! Five mins later he came and just brought another guest key.. This is the 4th key that wasnt working.. he proceeding to like push on the door and trying banging on it to make it open... very loud to do at 1AM... I asked him if he had like a manager override key or maybe a master and he literally ignored me and asked us to follow him to the office. Once we got down again, he said "I will attempt to accommodate the situation by letting you sleep in another room tonight AND MAYBE someone in the morning can further assist you!" (He had no idea had to open the door other then guest keys.... no way to reset the lock... no way to get into a room.. What if someone was dying in the room...) So I told him uhm I have all of my clothes, my wallet, my computer and literally everything else i brought in this room...I have plans in the morning and need my belongings tonight. He just kept repeating that line over and over and over again! I asked him theres like no way you know how to get into a room.. and he just ignored me and once again said he stupid line about "accommodating the situation" We literally went back and fourth with this guy for 20 minutes!!!! Him just repeating himself saying I will put you in 352 i will put u in 352. I didnt want to go to 352! I wanted my damn clothes and belongings! So at this point im extremely frustrated because he literally did not try to help us what so ever... just stared at his computer screen looking like he had no idea what he was doing... at my hotel that I work at, I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN FIREDDDD if my manager saw me treating customers the way he treated us.. so rude and unprofessional.

We went next door where there was a Holiday Inn Express. We told their front desk clerk the issue.. He came over to see the issue and resolved it within 20 minutes. He actually got into our room for us so we could get out stuff... while KAREEM sat in the office and actually LOCKED THE DOOR so we could not enter!!!! The man from the Holiday Inn actually went into the office and told kareem these ARE YOUR GUEST NOT MINE and im the one assisting them while you hide in the office.... Who does that.. we are your guests and you refuse to assist us with an issue thats your hotel's fault.. At this point its 2:30 AM. Now I just didnt feel safe at this place.. my belongings getting locked in a room without me being able to get them... extremely unprofessional and rude night audit employee. I called priceline and demanded a full refund. I ended up going right next door to the Holiday Inn where they were more than accommodating and actually tried their best to match the extremely low rate I paid for this place ( and now I understand why it was so cheap! ) They obviously dont take time to train all their staff when this Kareem cant open a lock for someone. Like I said Ive worked at hotels and I am going to college for Hospitality Management and I have never had someone who works in this field have such horrible customer service in my life...

So like I said the rooms were okay.. the location is near the airport... but if you think you may need to get into your room in the middle of the night and retrieve your belongings.. you may want to reconsider. Youll be stuck in a vicious circle with Kareem who was too worried about carrying around his own bag when he should have been trying to help us retrieve mine.. Its incredible how this employee is the single reason I checked out. Because of his rudeness and unprofessionalism. I am not a complainer and I know things happen in the hotel industry that you cant alway fix instantly.. but this was a 2 and a half hour ordeal with a man who didnt want to help his guests. Like I said, my manager would have fired me.. on the spot if I had his attitude towards my guest.

Room Tip: The room I was in actually had a nice view of the bar and the river... too bad I only got to enjoy i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank KaitieHorton
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here while attending a conference. The staff were great, especially the gentlemen who drove the shuttles. The room was very clean and the view was great. The resturant next door was excellent, the food was very good and the view from the deck even better.

The downside was the club next door played it's music so loud it was impossible to sleep until after 2:45 in the morning on both Friday and Sat night. The people attending the club who hung around outside smoking, drinking and making inappropriate comments, reflexs badly on the hotel.

It is great for during the week, however would not return during the weekend.
Canada

Room Tip: If you stay pick farest room on upper level at back of hotel to avoid music from club. Or don't...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Canadiangirl1961
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Airport - Tinicum Blvd.
0 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University

Been to Airport Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!