“Not Bad At All!!!”

Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I ended up with this hotel via hotwire.com. After learning the hotel name and looking up the reviews, I was scared! Very scared! The hotel has undergone a very recent renovation and I think was a Holiday Inn not too long ago. I was so ready for this place to be a dive that I called hotwire.com and requested it be changed NOW. They only asked that I wait until check in to give the place a fair chance, and I'm glad I did. (Altho, I WAS kind of hoping for the Aloft hotel!).

Every staff member I encountered was very friendly and helpful. My mini fridge didn't work, and I had a new one delivered to me in ten minutes after requesting one. Requests for towels were filled right away.

The room - Very clean, with new carpet, paint/paper, window coverings and furnishings. The bathroom was nice and clean with a new vanity/sink. Tile, etc seemed to be new as well. Tub was very clean. The AC was a little loud, but I like a little white noise at night. AC was also very cool and working properly. Nice flat screen TV, large desk, comfy chair, and comfy king size bed with plenty of fluffy pillows and blankets/comforter. I did end up with a spider in my bed. Not sure how that happens on the fifth floor. Maybe it followed us in?? The room did have a bit of an odor. I'm not sure if it was a stuffy smell or a glue or new carpet smell.

Lobby, bar, etc - Lobby was very clean with new flooring, furnishings, etc, but everything was boring shades of brown. Do NOT eat at the bar. ALtho clean and newly remodeled, it was every shade of brown, drab and the service AND food SUCKED! I never saw the actual restaurant open. Bizarre. The hallways and elevators were really warm.

Hotel has a nice pool area, but we never used it. I also walked past a decent looking gym on the first floor - but again, didn't use that either.

Free airport shuttle was great! It comes every half hour in the mornings and by request in the afternoon. Hop the Septa's R1 into Philly, hit the septa bus lines as much as you want, and your train back all for 11 bucks per person!! Just tell them as you pay when you board. Other wise you will pay 7 bucks per person each way and then more for buses. "Independence pass" is what you want. Once you return to the airport, just call the hotel for your shuttle back and it's always there within 10 minutes!

The only real negative I could find was the Shady,shady, shady hotel behind this one! It's just a one level place and it's a low rent "extended stay" type. I would NOT park in the back lot! The good news is that there is plenty of parking up front.

The Denny's next door was very convenient. Be sure to check out Eastern state pen, Reading terminal market, and Silk city when you do decide to hit the city!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
edifuria, Director of Sales at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2010

Thank you for the positive feedback!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,569)

Reviewed July 20, 2010

It is obvious queenmami is a plant with only one review and thinks this is a decent hotel. It is a pig with lipstick and the lipstick wears off. Checking in took 25 minutes only one person at the desk. Lobby dark and poorly done. Back door locks broken but say locked all the time. The hotel behind this one is a $35 a night welfare hotel. We would not leave out truck parked in the back area. The room smells like body odor and it never gets bearable. Had an early flight so thought it would be easy - wrong. DID NOT READ TRIPADVISOR SHAME ON ME. Phone did not work. Boy Scout group in the halls all day. Desk woman did not recognize me while I stood there for 25 minutes then said can I help you. I then said I was a Wyndham Member and she said you bought your room at hotel.com and you don't get points. I asked her what about the rewards and she said what rewards. There is a 6 foot banner literally next to her and so I started reading it and then she said OK I will send up a bag of pretzels to her room.

Pretzels never showed up. By the way the aircon is one of those under the window units that shakes when the condensor kicks on

I could go on and on about this hotel. Look at my 40 reviews I tell people the truth. Wyndham should be ashamed to have this hotel in their group. Oh yea my door had cave in marks on it like someone had tried to kick it in and they painted over it.

Run Run Away Yes Run Away.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jimnick

Thank you for the feedback! I am sure you'd be happy with the strives we've made to improve on poor experiences like your own.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

Stayed here because we were leaving out of PHL early the next morning and I could leave my car there and take shuttle to airport. That part worked out great and was fine. When I checked in they put me in a "renovated room" which turned out to smell like body odor. It took us about an hour to get used to the smell. We would have switched rooms, but we got there late and had to walk quite a ways with our luggage to get to the room. Plus the front staff wasn't overly eager to help customers.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Hotel was great in itself. Front desk staff was friendly. Pool has its rewards and so do the lovely king size beds. If you staying with kids they have a pull out sofa to accomodate your young ones at no extra charge. So we decided to stay an extra night... thats is where I rate the hotel staff who clean iffy to say the least... we left our stuff in the closet while going out for breakfast and they took it upon themselves to throw out what they considered garbage when they had no buisness going through our stuff... Garbage cans are outside the closet not in it.. all our Junk food and lunch was gone!!! thrown in the trash and the unlovely staff member caught a nice attitude and lied the first time around when management questioned her..... other than this mishap.... we had a great time and would stay again.. If your staying make sure you keep track of what you have in your room it only takes one person to leave a negative result for all the rest of the hard working individuals there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank queenmami

Reviewed June 8, 2010

I booked this hotel for an overnight hotel stay because I needed a shuttle to the airport very early--3:30am and didn't want to drive from where we live. When I booked, the name of the hotel was "Quality Hotel". We had a hard time locating the hotel and actually went to a nearby "Quality Inn" first. We found the hotel by accident, we pulled into the parking lot, hoping it was the right place. The sign that indicates what hotel you are at was covered up with a tarp. There is construction taking place at this hotel everywhere you look. There was yellow caution tape all around the front of the building and we couldn't even figure out where to go in. When I got to the front desk the woman working there was unpleasant. She wasn't friendly at all. When I asked for a receipt after paying for the balance due on my room, she said, "We don't do that". I'm not kidding. She said that if I wanted to request one, I could get it in the morning. So I requested one. After my daughter and I checked in, we went up to our room, which was perfectly nice, clean and comfortable. We then went down to have some dinner in the restaurant in the hotel. The food was fine, but again, horrible service. The waitress was abrupt, not friendly, no smile, etc. I was told that the shuttle service is not provided by their hotel, it is contracted. The shuttle was there when we arrived in the lobby at 3:30 and we were happy with that. When I woke at 3, the receipt for the room had been slid under my door. The staff at this hotel would be enough for me to say that it's not worth it to stay here again.

1  Thank Shelley C

Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel - Philadelphia Airport over Memorial Day weekend with our son's hockey team, which was playing in a local tournament. We arrived mid-afternoon on Friday. We saw the hotel, but missed the turn in because the sign at the entrance was so small. Once we got into the parking lot, we couldn't figure out how to get in because the front entry way was taped off due to construction. Once we figured out how to get inside, we checked in easily and quickly. The front desk manager was great. Helpful, funny, and friendly. We found our room (on one of the renovated floors) and basically dropped our stuff and left for our son's first game. The paint fumes were almost unbearable in the hallway and downstairs areas.
We returned late that night and immediately saw that someone had been in our room. The bag from the trashcan was in the middle of the floor. Then we heard water and discovered the trashcan had been placed against the wall to try to catch some of the waterfall of water that was running down the wall. Upon further investigation, we found two other cascades in the room, and there was water pouring out of the light fixture over the bathtub, as well. We trooped back downstairs to request a new room. While waiting in line, we saw another family from our son's hockey team also requesting a new room. Apparently the source of our water was the toilet in that family's room (right above ours), which had been running while we were all at the hockey game. We were both given new rooms, but had to switch from a room with two doubles to a room with once king and a roll-away. We made up a bed from extra bedding on the floor for our older son. He said it was more comfortable than the cot, anyway. I took his word for it. Flo in housekeeping had the roll-away up to us quickly, which was much appreciated. We all collapsed into bed, and my husband and I proceeded to roll to the middle of the saggy king-sized bed. The weather-stripping was also hanging from our window and the phone didn't work in either room we were in... at least not to call the front desk. Disappointing for a renovated room!
On the positive side, the alarm clock supported MP3 plug in, the flat panel TV was nice, and the room LOOKED nice on the surface. Black marble-like surfaces. Tiles in the bathroom. Very small sink in the bathroom made it look very big.
Apparently there is no longer a complimentary breakfast since the hotel switched over to Wyndham, but they provided it for the groups that weekend because the reservations were made prior to the switchover. It was not much of a breakfast, and we were glad we'd brought our own. There were mini muffins, mini bagels, danish, and cold cereal.
We were gone all day Saturday at the tournament and returned Saturday night. A bunch of us ordered out for food and the front desk staff told us we could eat in the restaurant so we could watch Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals. However, the restaurant staff kicked us out and said we couldn't bring outside food in. Understandable, but wish we'd have been given the same story by the front desk so we didn't get in there and get set up and then have to move.
Some people in our group did take advantage of the heated outdoor pool on Saturday night and said it was very nice (and warm). The fitness room was unavailable due to renovations, which was another big disappointment. The "business center" had four computers, one of which wasn't working, another of which sounded like it was going to take off at any moment. The one I used to check my email was incredibly slow. I finally gave up.
Check out was uneventful.
Overall, it was a fine place to stay, but for the cost and the fact that we stayed in a renovated part of the hotel, it was very disappointing. I don't know if I'd give it another try or not.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

we stayed here Memorial Day weekend to attend a hockey tournament. Our room was NOT ready at checkin, and even though it was one of the new "renovated rooms" had multiple problems. I.e., electrical outlets (yes, plural) did not work, the door card reader didn't work, the shower water knob FELL OFF THE WALL when we tried to take a shower and left a big dent in the tub and the phone didn't work so we couldn't even call to complain. The front desk staff was rude and unhelpful. They implied that WE were the problem as we had children with us. I asked at breakfast if they had any fruit and the waitress told me "No. What you see is what you get, take it or leave it". RUDE, unhelpful, unwilling to solve problems, and blame-shifting. Take your business elsewhere--I wish I could but everything else is booked tonight!

1  Thank chnier

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
4 mi away
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport

Been to Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!