“Unknown online 3 star Special Really Came Through”

Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Essington
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I tried finding a 3, 3.5 or 4 star hotel in Philly on Priceline for days and even weeks. I went up to over $100 bidding but nothing. There was a conference at the convention center I wanted to attend. So I went over to Hotwire.com and there was a 3 star for right around $70. I took their offer, knowing it was near the airport. I went to Google maps "man on the street" and noticed that the location was previously signed with a Holiday Inn sign. So I expected a worn out Holiday Inn and thought, okay, at least I am not paying $180 plus tax in the city. Well, such was NOT the case. It was a very nice place. I asked the clerk for a quiet room that I would enjoy staying a week in and she put us up on the 5th floor. The room was large, two queen size beds and no bad smell at all. The TV was a flat screen although we didn't use it much at all. The hotel is just off I-95. It took less than 15 minutes to get to the $11 parking lot near the convention center. (Tip: EZpark, in by 10 out by 7 only $ll on Race street between 12th and 11th. Be careful, lot of one-way streets in that area. Trust your GPS.)
The facility was better than the staff. Housekeeping had left an ugly black mark on the wall by the sink. It looked like mascara perhaps. On our second day it was still there so I put a dab of toothpaste on a tissue and the mark came right off the wall paper. Next day the shower was "cleaned" but there was a long thick string/thread stuck on the wall of the shower from a rag I guess. I removed that. I also noticed that the tray that held the coffee pot was not clean and you could see the light scum from being wiped once by a rag. Lot of little minor things like that but things that should be taken care of.
Also the front desk didn't always answer the phone. When they did, you had to let it ring 7 times or more. There were three elevators in the back of the hotel. There is a lot of free parking. The towels were thick and plush, the beds comfortable. There was something wrong with the Wifi, the router kept dumping you in the middle of something and I had to go to the home site and agree to the terms over and over. I complained early on in our 6 day stay but no one fixed it. If that happens to you once, get after them. When it worked it was fast.

I gave it a "very good" rating because the price to value demanded that. I would go again for the price. I slept well, was able to get to and from my convention quickly and parking was free. I thnk there is a restaurant on site but I am not 100% sure. I did smell some shrimp when we checked in.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room that I would enjoy for a week and got one.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
EdPuodziunas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Our great location to the city gives you the opportunity to not have a to pay a fortune. Thank you for the detailed feedback on your stay. While we try to be very price senitive and able to offer a great value, you did provide us with some opportunities. I will will share your comments with the staff to ensure we addressing the details. We have our internet provider looking into the settings which may be too low. We do have a restaurant onsite which offers a great breakfast and dinner menu. Thanks for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here for just one night due to an early flight out of Philadelphia. The room was large and clean with decent in-room coffee. Comfortable room. I had a problem with my T.V. but they sent someone up to fix it within 15 minutes of my call to the front desk. The shuttle driver to the airport was ready and waiting for me in the wee hours of the morning. Overall a good hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Melissa - Thanks for the feedback. It looks like you had a quick and effecient stay with us. we hope to see you again when flying out of Philadelphia. Our Park and Fly Packages are the best in the area.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here about 2 months ago and they had complimentary juices and fruits on check-in. Not this time. When I entered the room something just didn't seem right. The plastic liner in the trash bag appeared to be thown in, not neatly tied. Then I realized the toilet lid was up and the toilet paper didn't have a neat pointy edge. Ooops! I guess somebody used it!

The Wifi didn't work when I entered the room, so I enquired about this when I went out for dinner. I was told somebody was working on it. When I tried it again at bedtime, it still was down.

Seems like they have a different attitude towards customers this time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Bill - I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide your comments. You are right, we are working on different attitude, but definitely not the one that you experience. I will look into the juice in the lobby as we have been putting it our nightly. I'm hoping that we didn't forget it that day. As for the wi-fi, we are looking into the settings and broadband strength through out the hotel. Once again, thanks for your feedback and staying with us at the Wyndham Garden Hotel Philadelphia Airport.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed in a room on the 6th floor in October 2012.

In the bathroom, there were NO towel racks. Not one. The towels were folded and placed on a shelf in the little vanity under the sink. There are NO sides on the shelf, and it is right next to the toilet. So when a guy urinates in the toilet, the folded towels are directly where the water will splash on them. I guess urine is not that harmful – in one episode of that TV survival show, the one with the ex-marine and Barefoot Hippie Dude, the latter urinated on his bandana and then wrapped it around his neck to deal with the heat of Death Valley, and survived. Nevertheless, I am not Barefoot Hippie Dude and I do not like my towels to be saturated with urine from myself or a previous guest, so I looked in vain for a towel rack.

The vanity is exceptionally tiny, so there was virtually NO place to put my shaving kit (except in the spot previously held by the towels, which was not an option for my toothbrush). There was a very small, flimsy looking glass or metal shelf above the toilet, which conveniently slopes toward the toilet so that anything that can roll will fall into it (splashing more toilet water onto the towels). Who comes up with ideas like this?

There was NO spare roll of toilet paper in the room. I suppose this promotes extreme measures to save on paper. Similar to baseball, 3 wipes and you’re out!

There were NO washcloths in the room! Ended up showering with a hand towel because it was early in the morning and I was in too much of a hurry to deal with calling for reinforcements.

There was NO soap dish in the shower. Seriously? How much money are you saving, Mr. Wyndham (or is it Mr. Garden?), by leaving the soap dish out of your room designs?

The chair at the desk had NO vertical adjustment capability. Perhaps it did at one time in its long and storied career. It was virtually impossible to get any work done on my computer, because the keyboard was at chest level.

But the worst thing of all was the giant reddish stain on the corner of the mattress. It appeared to be a blood stain that someone had attempted to clean up. Was someone shot in the head on the corner of this bed? NO reputable hotel would just put sheets over such a stain and pass it off as okay.

Van driver has NO regard for safety - maintained 70 MPH in a 40 MPH speed zone.

Finally, it is a "Wyndham Garden" hotel. Is there a garden?

My advice: Just say “NO” to this Notel. They are so preoccupied with saving money on essential room fixtures that the needs of the guests are completely ignored.

2  Thank PseudoGeek

Thanks for taking the time to provide us detailed feedback on your stay with us. While we strive to continue to take steps forward in providing a great hospitable stay, your comments have given us opportunities on where we need to focus our attentions. I can assure you that these items are being corrected immediately.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
EdPuodziunas, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Good experience, and good value. Service to airport was excellent. I will definitely consider using this hotel again for park & fly.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Marie - Thank you for your feedback. The Stay-n-Fly is definitely a great way to take your time getting to the airport, getting a good nights sleep to prepare for your trip. We will definitely look into the bed as most have been changed out within the last 2 years.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essington
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport

Been to Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!