Golden Pheasant Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Erwinna
See available hotels
Main Street Inn(Doylestown)
View Hotel
All reviewsoystersonion soupan appetizertow pathblack basslocal ingredientsbrunchbrittanydelawareguestsgp
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2013

(The only reason I hesitate to give The Golden Pheasant five stars is that it might make it harder for us to get a room reservation next time we want to stay. But it clearly deserves five stars, so we'll just have to plan ahead.)

We stayed two nights last week, and hit some amazing weather -- mid-70s and sunny all the time. We've stayed at a few B&Bs over the years, and have outgrown the forced charm of some of them, filled with doilies and silk flowers. Well, the GP is many strata above that experience, and seems more like what you would expect at a high-end Tuscan villa. The current owners have managed to preserve the building's obvious charm while giving it a massive transfusion of high-quality amenities and understated grace. Our rooms (we failed to reserve in advance, and had to change rooms to stay two nights -- completely our fault) were both clean, bright, elegant, and calm. The bathrooms are a wonder, with mosaic tile in the shower that could have come from the Minoans. (See attached pic.)

We ate dinner at the inn our first night, and it was simply wonderful. Our server, Elizabeth-Anne, was friendly and attentive, and gave us a great tip for another restaurant (Slate Bleu in Boylestown) for our second night. Fresh salads, deceptively simple entrees, a reasonably priced wine, and a berry-and-ice-cream dessert right by the canal made for a memorable evening.

Breakfast both mornings was excellent, though you may want to ask for a "children's portion" if you have a normal appetite, as we got enough for two lumberjacks the first morning. A simple buffet of muffins, bagels, cereal, and yogurt is there for grazing, but the plated breakfast (scrambled eggs one morning, voluptuous French toast the next, both with fresh fruit and sausage) is what you want to start your day.

We borrowed two of the Inn's bikes our first morning and rode for an hour north (to Homestead) and back. Highly recommended -- the land just north of the inn is beautiful and bucolic, and the state keeps the canal path manicured.

We came back from our stay at the Golden Pheasant completely relaxed, which was a blessing. The ladies who run it obviously work hard to present a superior experience, and for us, they succeeded in spades.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank G-dog26
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Couldn't wait to experience the Golden Pheasant Inn after the extensive renovation, so I merged my NY trip with Bucks County, a quick 1.5 hrs drive from Manhattan.The Inn is perfectly nestled along the Delaware River, with a stunning view from my scrumptious room, which surpassed any top hotel I've stayed in the past...linens & bathrobes from Sferra and an unbelievable bathroom encompassed by beautiful marble. As impressive as all this was, I was blown away by the explosion of flavors offered at the Restaurant. Over the course of 2 days, the octopus & sea beans, and soft shell crab were exceptional! My favorite desserts were the cheese plate tied with the cardamon ice-cream. The Restaurant is a shrine to healthy, locally sourced food that's brilliantly prepared!!! I loved the fact I had so many areas to feast depending on my mood: the bar is casual & friendly (got invited to dinner every time I relaxed with a glass of wine) to the beautiful and airy Solarium with a view of the river to the gorgeous outdoors where I felt I was transported to Provence. The highlight, besides the food, was when I discovered several bikes for guests to use...what a thrill to ride along the towpath with the majestic, lush trees and the wind on my face. I can't wait to return. Golden Pheasant is truly a magical place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
B M, Manager at Golden Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you so much for the great feedback!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had gone years ago and had an awful meal and swore we would never go back. Then we saw that the place had gone through a total restoration and wanted to try the new & improved GPI. The inn outside and inside is beautiful, a job well done. Menu looked promising . . . we liked the idea of using a lot of locally grown ingredients. But the flavours just didn't quite set this menu at a higher level. Arugula salad had pickled onions and sliced yellow beets that were over vinegared. Scallops were just OK, possibly too many on the plate . . . very rich. The grilled lobster . . . well I am convinced that the New Englanders have it right by steaming only and serve with lots of butter. Not to say that the chef here didn't do a good job, but 2 bites later and the lobster shell was empty and I didn't find any great satisfaction with the flavours. I must say, I prefer small portions . . . quality, not quantity, but this just didn't make it. The wine list was safe and average. Service staff did a wonderful job, very attentive without drooling all over you. Not sure we will rush back anytime soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher E
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were heading down river on our way to Frenchtown when we remembered that our friends had highly recommended the Golden Pheasant. WOW! We sat out back along the canal and we felt like we were in Provence. Everything is beautifully done! The chairs are super comfy, the view is awesome and our server, Yolanda , could not have been better. We started with 3 different types of oysters, fresh Gazpacho and incredibly tender octopus. Followed by the most flavorful sea scallops I have ever had. We finished with Carrot cake and Owowcow ice cream. The wine list by the glass was perfect as was the beer list for my husband. It is such a treat to go to a beautiful Bucks county inn and have farm to table NYC quality food. We will be back!.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
B M, Manager at Golden Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers and with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed coming to the Golden Pheasant Inn. The Delaware River has been so pretty lately. We've had a lot of rain, but the sunsets have been magical and it's been such a joy to see them from our solarium dining room. I hope that you are able to come back soon. Best - Briar

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We've eaten here twice, come for the bar, stayed two nights in two rooms and even got married here! We obviously love it. The inn and restaurant went through a complete overhaul in the last year, and it is glorious.
Many, many highlights. Here are some:
-The service is perfect, from inn keeper to hostess to waiters. Such care, friendliness, and thinking of you first.
-The food is THE BEST IN BUCKS COUNTY. Great local farm focus with a nouveau french sensibility. The pheasant is great but so are many items on the menu.
-The setting is great. About 20 min north of New Hope right on the canal path, so you can walk/run for miles in either direction on the path - which is an absolute must. No tourists like there are further south. The best experience of idyllic Bucks that you will get.
-The inn itself has had a lovely transformation. The showers are a favorite, the luxurious beds, the window views, the shower gels, the guest fridge and coffee, etc, etc..
If you are a local - give the new menu a try! If you are a visitor, spend the night, have a bloody mary at the bar and a long walk on the canal - you'll love it.
And if you are looking for a spot to be married - we could not have been happier even in our dreams.

Room Tip: Be careful of the Delaware suite if you have sensitive ears. It overlooks river road which has traffic in the morn. Didn't bother us but could be an issue for some. The smaller room on the canal side is the quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PelleasPhiladelphia

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate that you shared your experience and are especially glad that you notice that we notice!!!! We do really try to pay attention to the details. If a patron is going to take the time to come to us, we must take the time to ensure the experience is special. There is always room for improvement, in any business, but we genuinely want people to be happy with their visit. All the best for a fantastic summer! - Briar