“So clean, new and friendly”
Review of Red Roof Inn Erie

Red Roof Inn Erie
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Erie
South Charleston, Ohio
“So clean, new and friendly”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Me and my family stayed here after being in Buffalo and this was on our way home. We are so glad we did! As others posted, we hit the park and the free beaches and took advantage of the amazing lake views in the area. The hotel was so clean, pet friendly and great staff! The bonus of free breakfast was a great way to start our next morning before heading home. I am continually recommending this property to others! Don't overlook Erie!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for visiting our beautiful town of Erie! People often pass by without knowing how much there is to do and see here. While our hotel isn't quite as scenic as the beaches I am still very grateful that our hotel helped add to the great experience that you had when you visited! Also I would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding our room cleanliness and staff! We are honored that we have earned your continual recommendation and would love to have you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Detroit
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed at Red Roof Inn, Erie, PA for one night on our way home to Detroit from Boston. Great experience. Loved the cushioned hard wood floors. Room had a fridge, safe and microwave (even though we didn't need those things). Gave us the deposit back on the safe since we didn't use it. Room was quiet even though it was just off the toll road. Didn't know what to expect but this was a most pleasant surprise. They even give coupons for free pizza and free McDonald's breakfast (which was right next door). We were going to stay at La Quinta but, fortunately for us, they were sold out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DMax2009
All the way from Detroit to Boston is quite the trip! I'm glad that our hotel did not disappoint and gave you a much needed rest on your long journey. It is always a delight hearing that our guests were pleasantly surprised with our rooms. The cleanliness of our rooms is of top priority here, and positive reviews such as yours make our jobs that much more rewarding. I am happy that a stroke of luck, with La Quinta being sold out, aided in your choosing our hotel as we love having new guests. And while I am not certain which toll road you are referring to, as I'm not aware of any nearby, I appreciate your taking the time to review us.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We came up to Erie from Geneva-on-the- lake Lodge(which was so disappointing). We wanted to see Presque Isle state park beaches and were so blown away, decided to find a hotel room for the night. Everything was either sold out or $200. I was nervous about Red Roof but read the reviews and they had openings. We travel a lot so I was very skeptical. They were very nice on the phone also told us they had $7- slot play cards for the Casino and free breakfast at McDonalds in the parking lot and were remodeled.
I rarely go to a casino and I rarely eat fast food but we just left a resort were we were treated like garbage so it was very up lifting. The red headed girl at the front desk was like an angel, smiling and so friendly. She made us feel so welcome. The first room we had reeked of smoke even though it said smoke-free and she immediately got us into a new room apologizing for the inconvenience.
Rooms are completely remodeled, kinda IKEA looking. Hard laminate flooring! Awesome! Nice not to feel gross carpet on your feet.
Bed was comfy, pillows were too hard for me.
Bathroom very small but clean and new. No personal products only soap. No extras like dirty clothes bags either. Ask for extra towels, they give you the minimum and my husband is a big guy and I have a ton of hair..2 towels aint working.
I like the desk area and extra bedroom chair. Iron worked beautifully. TV great.
McDonald's was a nice extra in the morning.
Highway noise was in our ears a little bit over night but we had a room next to it. I didn't mind, fell asleep pretty fast.
We even won $60 at the Presque Isle casino so overall nice trip to see the great State Park and gamble a little at the casino.

Room Tip: Location was close to Casino and 15/20 minutes from State Park entrance.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cug2
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
I am terribly sorry that you were so sorely mistreated at the resort that you had previously stayed at. We believe that hospitality is a huge part of the hotel experience and we focus greatly on how we interact with our guests. I am very proud of my team here when I receive wonderful reviews such as yours boasting about a terrific experience with us. I do appreciate you informing me of our lack of bags in the rooms for either clothes or extra trash. I will certainly have my housekeeping start to stock an extra bag for such purposes. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to your next visit to our beautiful state park!
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

I usually stay at Hampton Inns when I'm looking for consistency and amenities slightly above average. I was in a hurry and because this Red Roof Inn was rated so high I thought I'd give it a shot. I had my 12 and 16 y/o with me. First, in the $130-$150 per night price range my expectations were for far more than I got. Yes the rooms were clean and staff courteous. BUT, no work out room, no pool, no shampoo in the room, no elevator, no roll away beds available (sucks when yo have to split a full bed with a large teenager), breakfast is McDonalds next store, not even a plastic bag for dirty laundry. If this hotel was $80-100 you would see a higher rating, but at this price point I expect much more.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sean C
I'm sorry that you found our hotel to be pricey and that you were over all disappointed with your stay with us. I am sorry that you were lead to believe that we had an excerise room/pool on the grounds. I have already contacted our third party affiliates such as expedia and priceline to ensure that none of our guest are being misinformed about our hotel. I would like to mention that we do have shampoo and an extra bag for anything miscellaneous that we clip to the clothing hangers. Please accept my apologies for your room not being properly stocked. I hope the next time you are in town you will give our hotel another chance to prove how great of value we can be. If you ask to speak with myself or my assistant and mention your past experience we would be more than happy to help you with a room.
London, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Getting rid of carpeting in their rooms & putting a cushioned flooring in was brilliant. It looked clean & crisp. The work station area, the bath, the new HD TVs... basically all amenities... suited my business & comfort needs. This was my second stay & I'll pick it again when I am in the area. Pricepoint is higher than I last remembered but the Redi Card helps reduce the rack rate. Be sure to sign up for The Red Roof Inn newsletters to receive promos & special deals. If you stay here be sure you get your coupon for a free McDonald's breakfast...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for signing up to be a Redicard member and for taking advantage of our promotional offers! We take pride in the up keep of our rooms and are glad that they met your business needs and especially that you were comfortable in your room. Our new design has helped us tremendously with cleanliness due in part to our new flooring which reduces odor within our rooms. We would love you be your choice of hotel on your next business trip.
Chambersburg
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Never having been to Erie before I relied on tripAdvisor reviews to guide my stay and was not disappointed. The Red Roof Inn was EXCELLENT. I made reservations for 2 rooms 2 days before our last minute trip....they had rooms available at a reasonable rate ($120/night) for both a deluxe king size and a handicapped king size room next to each other. We traveled with my elderly parents (dad uses a walker, mom on chemotherapy) and they were very comfortable. The rooms are beautiful. I have stayed in many many hotels and this was equal to a Hampton Inn in comfort and cleanliness. The flooring in the newly renovated rooms is ingenious. I have no idea why other hotels do not get rid of the carpet and use this type of flooring (it looks like hardwood but I believe it is actually rubber). It is soooo much more sanitary than carpet. The staff at the front desk (Dave was his name) was very pleasant and helpful. The free value meal breakfast at McDonalds (which is steps away from the hotel) was very nice also...we picked up breakfast and ate in the room before leaving. There are lots of other restaurants nearby also. Will definately stay at this hotel when traveling to this area and have already suggested it to friends who had a bad experience at the Comfort Inn close to the Red Roof.

Room Tip: Two stoery hotel with no elevator so request a bottom floor room if you dont want to carry things up...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank csshadle
I cannot express how glad I am to hear that you love our new wood laminate flooring. We were somewhat skeptical when we first made the switch but we have now all been completely converted into believers. I appreciate that our rooms held up to our online reputation, as with tripadvisor. We try to take any of the negative from our guest's feedback and use it as a starting point to resolve prevent any issues from happening again. As for your comment about our cleanliness and comfort, we are honored that you would compare us to four star hotels. I am glad that you and your parents had a good stay with us and were comfortable. I hope you think of us the next time you make a last minute trip into Erie.
Niagara Falls
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have stayed at this Red Roof Inn several times and always had a great room, good price, great service. The fact that there are no carpets is a great bonus (allergies) but us. Staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. McDonald's breakfast was good although my son wanted the option of pancakes too. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone, we have stayed at other hotels and nothing compares to the quality for the price.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel to stay at just minutes from Peach street shopping, etc with little noise and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jgdanetz, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Erie, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and gracious review! Whenever we hear that we've earned a guests repeat business we feel that we've done our jobs well! We are especially grateful that you would recommend our hotel to other travelers. I am glad that my team was so friendly and helpful as I make sure that all of my staff is eager to please our guests and also knowledgeable with Erie and the goings-on around town. I am sorry that we could not offer you and your son pancakes over at McDonald's as our partnership voucher is somewhat limited outside of the combo meals, fruit parfait and/or granola.