“Not as bad as other reviews say”

Downtown Erie Hotel
Ranked #38 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Pittsburgh
“Not as bad as other reviews say”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I read a lot of the reviews that were posted here before booking the hotel. It was in the area where we wanted to stay, so we decided to take a chance. Since the hotel is on a busy main street, there was some street noise. The outside is a little run down, but even though our room wasn't fancy, it was clean, spacious, and certainly good for the price we paid. Although we didn't spend much time in the hotel except for sleeping, I did look at the pool and it looked clean. The A/C worked well on the hot night we stayed there. We would stay there again since other hotels in the area received equally bad reviews or are much more expensive. If you are looking for a luxury hotel with all of the amenities at bargain prices, this isn't it. If you need a place to stay in downtown Erie and don't need elegant surroundings, this fills the bill.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
PA
Reviewed July 20, 2009

It seemed like a nice place online but it was all a lie. The pool looks nice online but when we got there the water was filthy. The man at the check in counter said that the pool would be up and running in the morning. Ha Ha. That would of been a miracle! Due to the fact that we got there at night you couldn't really see until the morning that the whole outside around the pool was dug up! There was no way that pool would have been ready in the morning! Then they claimed that there was going to be Latin Night in the lounge that they had during our stay, but that didn't happen either. When I asked about it, no one knew what I was talking about! The ice a machine on the floor we stayed on didn't work and they vending machine would not take any dollars! The restaurant that is connected to it claimed to be open Fridays and Saturdays but was not open on Saturday. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! I wish I had read these reviews before I booked it! We checked out early and asked if we could a discount since the pool was not running at that was the reason that we chose this hotel. Guess what no discount for anything!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

pittsburgh
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Photos online are misleading. Hotel is not clean, pool not functional. There is no bar/lounge. I would not go back. Equipment in "fitness center" did not work. Very very misleading.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CHARLESTON
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I got there at 6:30 to check in. I didnt check my television cause i figure everything work and I went out on the town with my girlfriend family. I came back to my hotel early in the morning the television didnt work, there was roach on the floor. So my girlfriend call and complain they move us to a different room but the bed was not the same we had reserve an king size bed the dude gave us a queen size bed. He then move us again to a different room where there was a van seat,a spare tire,lumber stack up and case of mount dew in floor which he didnt even knaw ... so here we go again move agan at this time it was 545 in the morning my wife work all night long and she was exhausted so if you look for something that has roachs, that smells like dead rat in the halls then this is the place for you. I dont know why the hotel is still opened please be advised the picture you see on the website is decieving. I would not come back here it was so bad I would not even leave my dogs at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Castle
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I recently stayed at the hotel for the weekend and checked out on Sunday, Feb. 22. As I was reviewing my bank statement online I noticed that they charged me an additional $100.00 on Wed. Feb 25th, almost three days after I checked out. I spoke with the manager about the additional charge and he will not refund my money that they had no right taking in the first place. I did nothing to the room (break, scratch, etc.) but he still did not care and will not give me my money back.

You'd be better off sleeping in your car than to deal with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank cre8ive79
Buffalo
Reviewed November 29, 2008

I suppose I should have checked trip advisor before making my reservation. Lesson learned. I saw online that this was one of the few 3 star hotels in the area and got a great deal on a room. According to the hotel website the room was supposed to have a king size bed, and a sofa sleeper. Well, it had a kings size bed. That was about where their accuracy stopped. The staff left for the night with a paper sign on the front desk saying they would return in the morning. We wouldn't put our children in the bathtub. The breakfast was so unimpressive we opted to pay for something at a real place. Overall it was a rundown, outdated, overrated motel. Don't believe the rating or pictures on the hotel's website. I would say they would be lucky to get a 2-star rating.

• Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I beg you do not stay here!!!!!! I recently stayed here and it was the most disgusting, shadiest hotel experience I've ever had! I know the low price might attract you, but don't buy into it, you'll end up regretting it.

When we entered the room there were cigarette holes in the comforters (non-smoking room) and food smashed up on the floor by the bed, which shows they obviously didn't vacuum. When we called to complain they refused to let us switch rooms, but it was too late to switch hotels so we stayed there anyway.

When we checked out, they charged us an extra $20 for no apparent reason, and claimed we paid less cash than we did, even though we had the receipt.

Two days after we left, we got charged $50 for leaving the room "dirty" because there was a stain on the floor (which we had complained about when we went in) and they couldn't recall us calling the first night.

The kicker: They proceeded to charge us an extra 170 dollars for the room, after we had already paid, and refused to return any of my phone calls when I questioned it. Finally the manager spoke to me, after numerous days of repeated calling, only to deny the charge (even though it was on my credit card statement) and claim it never happened. Eventually we got the charge reversed, but only after a long, time-consuming fight that nearly involved the law.

Overall, it was a dirty room and they repeatedly tried to take advantage of us. I'm from close to the area, so I know of other visitors who have had terrible experiences, including issues with infestations.

Try to resist the temptation for these cheap prices, because it's a disgusting, shady establishment that will end up costing you much more in the end. I urge you to spend the extra $20 and spring for the Avalon a few blocks away.

• Liked — Cheap Prices-not worth it in the end though
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends