WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Downtown Erie Hotel

Downtown Erie Hotel
Ranked #37 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Ontario
“No one's first choice - but good enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I doubt anyone would put the Downtown Erie Hotel high on their list of dream destinations - but my experience wasn't too bad. It is a three storey motor hotel - so it has a outdated feel. The room was pretty clean - but there were a few worn elements. I wanted to be in Erie, and the hotel selection was strangely limited. I think it was a good choice - rather than staying out by the highway - or one of the motel properties. (Although some of the motels seem well located for state park beaches). I saw people using the pool and enjoying it. On a Saturday night the adjoining Mexican restaurant brings in a DJ (well removed no noise issues). That made for a more lively night than a quick drink at the hotel bar. I didn't mind the $3 cover as the drinks were super cheap, the staff friendly, and music was great.

Room Tip: I'd go for the second floor over the third - but just so you don't have to wait for an elev...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Washington, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Upon Arrival there was a swat team raiding the hotel to find a serious criminal who was hiding out in the Hotel. But this was kind of fitting for the location and the conditions of the hotel. I would never go near this place again. Horrible Conditions do not waste your time, I would sooner stay in my car than to ever stay here again. I have never had to write a review before but this had to be mentioned.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Heather R

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on vaction with family and girlfriend we had two rooms for about 160 bucks a night the rooms were basic but did the trick had a pool that my mom girlfriend and sisters used and had no real complaints beds were comfy can't beat its downtown location although it is in a somewhat seedly location it has two adult bookstores in walking distance what can I say coulda been nicer coulda been worse our room had a microwave and fridge that worked fine i can't say much else it did it's job reasonable price

• Stayed June 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

So i never write a reveiw but i felt i had to!...So i stayed at thie hotel on a sat/sun...I did read the reviews before going but thought everyone has a different opinion! We had the room from hell...The lobby is not bad they are renovating....the pool looked ok....it was in a ok area in the daytime... Now on to the room,,,,,, first we found the room to have 2 inch of dust, found little lightbuld peices on the floor.....two lamps wernt working, garbage on the floor under the one bed....now on to the bst part the stains....the bow sprin looked like old blood as if someone was killed on the bed all down th siden, not sure why they didint replace the boxspring...the matriss had a HUGE big bleach stain...the blankets had bad stains... i had kids with me and was afraid to let them touch anything!!! We brought this up to the guy at the desk and he wrote it down but really didnt seem to care only that we keep our voices down around other customers....we were told that was the only room available that night and all the other hotels were booked!!!!! Look at the pics see for yourself...I do have to say the lady at the desk whne we checked in was super nice....They really need to get better housekeepers!!!! Who in the hell leaves stains like that!!! And it was 110 a night! i will add pics once i get them down loaded

Room Tip: Check out the room before u pay because they wont give your money back~
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Westminster, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at the Downtown Erie Hotel on Father's Day weekend 2012. We found the rooms clean. The price was right. The furniture was dated, but who cares? The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. You coukd say the staff catered to myself and my other slightly handicapped friend. The continental breakfast had everything imaginable. I will definately be staying there again.

ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed here by accident since we were too tired to drive home. I heard a siren and asked if it was safe. There is an ambulance service in the plaza next door and the fire department 2 blocks down. It was so cheap I expected the room to be bad. Surprise! Surprise! The place was clean and the bed was comfortable although a little dated. Once inside the room we didn't hear anymore sirens. The Mexican restaurant and bar are opening next week. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: I couldn't believe they had smoking rooms. Most places don't.
2 Thank Sara M
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Read this review and arm yourselves with knowledge:

As a traveling musician, I've stayed in my share of slummy motels. (Note: this is not a hotel in the least. It's a MOTEL.) I'm not picky. But this dump... this one takes the cake for repulsiveness.

My band's gig in Erie was totally unexpected. Consequently, all of the hotels in the area were booked full. I found this pit online and was led astray by some extremely misleading (and suspicious) 4 and 5-star ratings. So I called ahead and made our reservations. My first impressions weren't bad. The staff seemed friendly enough over the phone. But then... we arrived.

The neighborhood was like the worst parts of the Bronx on steroids. I'm a New Yorker, and this place had me running scared! It was a complete ghetto. Sirens were going off, the streets were deserted and filthy, and there were bums everywhere. The kind of bums with gun bulges in their jackets. Trust me, I've seen enough people toting pistols in their coats to know it from a glance. I should have ran. But instead, I put on a tough face for my bandmates and went inside.

The man at the front desk was... a joy. I say this sarcastically. He was rude, even by New York standards. I asked him if we could have our room keys, and he just kept reading his newspaper, telling me that no, our rooms were not ready, they'd be available in 20 minutes. So we sat around... on the floor. The lobby didn't look awful, but it wasn't extremely clean either. 20 minutes later, the man was still reading his paper, so my friend asked him if our rooms were done yet. He completely blew her off. He'd get to her when he was ready, princess. Another 10 minutes passed. Then 20. Then 30. And finally he called us up to the desk and gave us our keys. It was late, so we were actually grateful. In hindsight, I should have slugged him in the face.

The rooms were unbelievable. Very small, stuffy, and grotty. The first thing I noticed was a huge hole in the wall over the bed. Okay. I'd seen worse. But then I realized that the bed itself had no sheets. It did have some lovely brown stains, though. There were three lonely bedbugs frolicking about, so I crushed them and didn't see more. I went to my friends' room to see if they had any sheets on their bed. They did. I went back down to the man at the front desk to get some sheets, and he treated my simple request like I was being completely unreasonable. 15 minutes later, a maid came up to my room and thrust some linens into my arms. She wasn't going to put them on the bed for me. Okay. BFD. After she was gone, I had a more thorough look around the room.

My God.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

There was a small desk by the window. A colony of ants had made a hole in the leg and were crawling in and out leisurely. I looked under the desk to find... a pair of blood-soaked panties. Really? REALLY? My first thoughts were something along the lines of: "Holy [--]! They killed a hooker in here!" And you know how they say your first intuition is usually right. The man at the front desk and I became very well-acquainted that night. I went down to tell him about the bloody underwear (taking the elevator that I was positive was going to crash on me.) He told me in the most gracious of ways what a pain I was, but in the end I got him to fork over the keys to a new room on the other side of the hall. I gave it yet another chance. I just didn't learn.

The second room wasn't as grotty. But the price to pay for that was that it smelled. Like turpentine and excrement, might I add. By this time I was too tired to go out, and too afraid to bathe because of the possibility that Norman Bates was waiting in my shower with a knife, so I hunkered down for the night. Needless to say I didn't sleep very well.

I was woken around daybreak when something sharp stabbed me in the back. A spring in the mattress had snapped and was now pushing through the sheets. Then it hit me. The smell from last night had gained even more strength. So much that I got on the ground and looked under the bed, expecting to find the remains of the late Amy Winehouse. Instead I found two broken syringes in a white, powdery residue. At this point, I was somewhat more awake, so I hightailed it out of there. I spent the remainder of the night in my van. Why didn't I think of that in the first place?

My friends came out of their room poorly-rested and possibly even more disturbed than me. They both had been bitten by something. Either fleas or bedbugs. Apparently the guests in the room next to them had been screaming threats at each other all night long. We didn't bother to eat the continental breakfast they promised us. We just paid and got the heck out of there while we still had our lives.

If I could give this hole a negative star rating, I would. I definitely would. If you're a law-abiding citizen who doesn't kill hookers, shoot heroin, like fleas, or enjoy verbal abuse from the hotel staff, do not stay here. Do NOT.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business