“Great and Helpful Staff”

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I came to check into a room on for a romantic weekend with my wife. Unfortunately all the suites were booked. I should have called ahead to make reservations but it was a spur of the moment thing. We were given a king room for the night since we were not in the mood to look for another hotel. Thankfully they were able to switch us to a new room as guests checked out. The room i was given was not a suite...but their two room suite which was a wonderful. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Thank you for your kinds words, I hope that you and your wife had a wonderful weekend! I am glad to hear that our staff took good care of you and were able to accommodate your needs!. The next time you are staying in Erie, please be sure to give us a call!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Checked in and went to my room- the door was ajar. The windows had noticeable water damage to the ceiling by the drapes. Hallways didn't smell great.

* Parking is down a ramp behind the hotel: first come, first served.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts. We are currently working on some projects to improve the property. As our hotel in not one of the newest, we are striving to make the changes necessary to better serve all of our guests.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Avalon during a recent visit back home. Unfortunately, our stay there left little to write anything good about it.

Where do I start?

My wife couldn't take a bath because the rooms do not have plugs for the bathtubs......The sink drains did not drain.......The hotel restaurant wasn't open, as we were told sometime they open and sometime they don't.........The phone system didn't work, so you couldn't call the front dest or set a wake-up call......

The list goes on and on, but what's the use, nothing will change the way it is run.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Erica R, Director of Sales at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Thank your for your feedback Timothy and we apologize that you left the Avalon unsatisfied. We do not have plugs for the bathtubs in any of our guest rooms, perhaps this is something that we will look into in the future. I hope that our maintenance crew was able to fix your sink drain if it was not properly draining as well as your phone. By dialing "0" you should have been able to reach our front desk and we would have been more than happy to arrange a wake up call. We currently do not have a restaurant on the premises but we do have a lounge that is available on the weekends for bar service. I hope that you will give the Avalon a second try to truly see what we can offer.

P.S Try a Waldameer package during our summer season, it's the perfect family getaway!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and I can honestly say this is the dirtiest place I have ever stayed. Forget getting clean towels in the morning. We were there three days and never got our room cleaned. The toilet in our room did not flush for our entire stay. The room had an open half used bottle of shampoo and nothing else. The comforter on the bed was actually filthy dirty and smelled bad. The Hostess would not help with any problems we had. I really would like the Pa Health Department to take a good look at this place before someone gets sick.

Room Tip: I can't offer any advice on getting a good room at the Avalon in Erie Pa.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Thank your for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It sounds as if you had several issues during your visit. I wish we would have know the problems you were encountering at that time so we could have our maintenance crew ensure they were resolved. All guest rooms should receive housekeeping service unless otherwise stated with a "Do Not Disturb" sign. We will be sure to reevaluate the cleaning procedures with our housekeeping staff to ensure proper cleanliness is to standards. Thank you once again for your feedback and we will continue to work on exceeding all of our guest's expectations.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My recent stay at this hotel was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. We arrived in the room to find the toilet full of toilet paper and not working and a half full bottle of shampoo on the bathroom sink. The carpet had what looked to be a huge bloodstain and the comforters on the beds were filthy. We stayed Friday and Saturday night and asked for fresh towels Saturday night which we never received. The whole weekend we never saw one employee with a cleaning cart cleaning rooms. When we were checking out we asked to speak to the manager, who wasn't there, so they added our name to a long list of people that were complaining. I would recommend to find any other hotel you can find in that area, it was a total waste of our hard earned money and very disappointing.

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

We sincerely apologize for you unpleasant stay with us. It seems as though we have fell short of provided you with proper housekeeping. I would like to speak with you directly if possible, please feel free to contact me at 814-459-2220 Ext 452

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We have visited Erie for eight years in a row during Celebrate Erie and have stayed at the Avalon each time. In the past you could say it needed some TLC, but it was always a pleasent stay with friendly staff. In the last couple years they have done much needed renovations and the place looks fabulous! Located in the heart of downtown, within walking distance of great bars and resturaunts. Only a mile or so from the Erie Zoo! I will continue to stay here every year!

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for you positive feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Avalon in Erie PA and experienced some of the sites around the city. The Erie Zoo is a great place to take the family, especially during the summer! Please feel free to stay with us again in the near futurre

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife mom had a massive heart attack and was taken to Hamot Hospital in Erie. We called the Avalon to get a room because the hotel was close to the hospital.
Kathy Kruger managed our reservation from our original phone call to checking us in to taking care of all of our requests during our stay.
She made what is a very stressful situation that much easier because of her outstanding customer service.

Thank you very much Kathy!

Sincerely
Rob Parrette
Connecticut

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words Rob! I am glad that Kathy provided you with superior customer service. We understand the stress that comes when a family member becomes ill and we are glad to help ease the situation in any way that we can. We send you prayers and well wishes for a speedy recovery.