“Sludge and terrible service”

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Sludge and terrible service”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival the Parkin garage was terribly filthy and when we headed to the entrance group of people who had the whole bottom lobby filled with smoke. When we got to the desk, the desk clerk didn't even acknowledge us and was too busy talking on her cellphone. Had to wait 10 mins for her to finish her conversation and then she checked us in. The elevators felt unsafe and made a lot of noise. When we got to our room it looked decent enough (ancient tv, moldy window dirty window sill, musty smell). Wee quickly realized that was only the tip of the iceberg. When my wife went to shower the bathtub didn't drain. There was mold on the ceiling in the bathtub also. The sheets had hair and stains on them when we got ready for bed. So went downstairs to ask them to change the room, but was told I'd have to change the floors!!! I have been traveling all day and finally got unpacked and they wanted me to repack and change floors!!! The desk clerk didn't apologize at all and actually seemed annoyed at my complaints of the dirty bed and shower!! I've never seen such terrible and unprofessional behavior by HOTEL STAFF!! I then went to ask for a refund since I was going to have to repack anyways, and was told that I'd have to wait till Monday morning. WHAT??!! We left the hotel and stayed at the quality inn which was actually cheaper and 100x better!!!

Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2014

thid is an older hotel whose glory days are behind her. Great location in downtown Erie, Rooms were quieter that I had anticipated, but the furniture and bed were a bit outdated.
staff was very good and helpful. The continental breakfast was not good at all. Still a good hotel that needs some TLC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed at the Avalon a few years ago and I had returned to Erie and stayed again and was very happy with the stay. They have renovated the guest rooms, which are rather spacious, earth tones. I asked to have a refrigerator and was not even charged. Lobby is very spacious with several sofas. Free parking and wi-fi. Nice continental breakfast with a waffle station and fresh sliced fruit. I stayed for 3 nights and every morning while I was at breakfast a tall blonde lady greeted me and made me feel welcome. Very nice, little things go a long way

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I recently stayed at the Avalon Hotel and my stay was wonderful,i attended a Banquet that was great,the service was amazing and the staff were very helpful,the hostess,i believe her name was Salina,she was there the hole time making sure everything happen!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I haven't stayed here for many years and was extremely disappointed in the condition of hotel and untrained staff . Was there for an event in town with others (3 rooms total) and was surprised at how unprepared they were for us given the fact that this event was planned for several months! Hotel was not properly cleaned. Key cards would not work so we had to have them reprogrammed, as did several people. Wait staff did not follow proper cleanliness standards so we chose not to partake in the breakfast buffet! Hope to see changes or we will not stay again!

• Stayed March 2014

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed one night on a wine package and found that they sold us a general admission and not a VIP package. When asked they said I did not purchase the vip package even though there website said that vip ticket came with the stay. The elevators were not working well, no stairwell access from lobby so you couldn't take steps, and no hot water to take showers.They said that happens when the hotel is full. Really!! The staff was polite but very unhelpful.

Room Tip: Dont stay here thats my tip
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

The management says this is a luxurious hotel, which seems a misrepresentation. Nothing here is first rate. Thin tiny scratchy towels, ancient tv and blankets, no hangers, safe did not work, door had pry bar marks, no do not disturb sign, limited toiletries, drains clogged, heater so noisy we had turn it off to sleep, complimentary breakfast was meager, cold cuts on our conference lunch platter were low quality, ballroom AV system not working and no one to fix it, hotel restaurant not open except for weekend breakfast, long lines for everything since they were understaffed, limited unsecured parking, had to manually force the auto-sensor lobby door open, sketchy neighborhood. Not even a pen and tablet by the phone. Only pleasant touch was the salt water aquarium behind the front desk. Staff tried, but they are up against such trying odds there's no way they can feel good about working there.
The night after we stayed in a Comfort Inn in Clarion PA that was everything this hotel was not, and for $40 less. The Avalon was more like a very cheap roadside motel in quality. Go anywhere else.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends