“Bed Bugs”

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Room 517 infested with BED BUGS!!!! They could not give us another room because the hotel was sold out!! Very outdated hotel!!! Would not recommend this hotel! I hope they will check every room! Bed sheets had blood stains on the side! The room was like 100 degrees when we check in and put the thermostat at 40 and still was warm the entire night!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ron a
Sarah G, Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank You for the feedback. Your comments are taken very serious by us. I do apologize that we were unable to move you to another room due to maximum occupancy. We wish to respond, however, by acknowledging that we did address your concerns at the time of the complaint and provided compensation. This is not a regular issue at The Avalon. Our Maintenance staff works hard to take preventative measures to avoid this kind of problem.

We have recently renovated many of the rooms in the hotel. We have plans to do so on the ones that have not been updated yet. We are looking forward to doing so in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

After several previous visits to Erie and bypassing this hotel as a result of the reviews, after some more recent mixed reviews (with some positive instead of all negative) as well as an option of a superior (i.e. more renovated) room, I took a chance on it and had a reasonably good experience. I visit Erie a couple of times a year and always wanted to stay downtown, but the options are very limited with one nice expensive hotel, two dumps...and The Avalon. I'm pleased to report that my stay was not as bad as many of the previous reviews led me to believe it may be. There are good, bad and lots of odd things to report.

The Good: The location is great -- right in downtown Erie, in a lively area and just a block or two away from several great bars and restaurants, most of which are reasonably priced. My first impression was a positive one, thanks to Destiny, the front desk clerk on late night duty. She was welcoming and helpful despite what appeared to be a busy and rough night (100% occupancy and a rowdy wedding there that evening) and printer problems. The first impression of the room was equally good, revealing new carpet, nice bedding and a valid attempt at making the rooms appear contemporary. The room is also very spacious and the desk had several outlets built into the wall. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room, which is somewhat uncommon for a downtown full-service hotel. The fact that parking is free is attractive as well.

The Bad: While many aspects of the room were freshened, others less obvious yearned for attention like the beat up window sill, the lack of a flat screen television (in a "superior" recently renovated room, no less), and most significantly the gross grout in the bathtub. Considering it's a tall (around nine stories) downtown hotel with a large ballroom and pictures indicating it's classy, it's a bit of a surprise to have room keys with the phone number to the local Domino's as well as a plastic stand-up sign on the nightstand with the Domino's menu, as if this were the Super 8. WiFi was free, but while I was able to see and connect to the signal, it didn't seem to want to allow me to connect to the Internet. I didn't have time to investigate it further and just did without using my laptop that night. While my floor's hallway was fine, I happened to walk down the second floor hall, which has many conference rooms, and the condition of that hallway was terrible to say the least.

The Odd: Where to begin? There was a security guard on duty wearing a collared shirt with a giant "SECURITY" plastered across the back as if he were working a concert. Step off the elevator and the numbers pointing left and right directing guests to their rooms are the kind that you buy at the hardware store to stick on your mailbox (yes, really). The little refrigerator in the room clearly used to be a minibar fridge. The spacious room had an alcove near the door that clearly was designed to be a closet and would make a fine one, but there was no shelf or hanging rod in it (in fact, there was nothing at all in it) -- instead the hotel opted to a giant piece of (apparently relatively new) furniture in the center of the room that had a hanging closet on each end and housed the old television in the middle. LED lights were strung around the upper edges of the elevator in an attempt at cool, while the stainless steel doors were very scratched up and the elevator's buttons and signals were very old school.

Overall, I give this hotel some credit for trying and putting some money into the place, but it needs more, so hopefully they'll continue. And hopefully future renovations will include some improvements to the bathrooms, especially in the superior rooms for which guests are paying more. And if you do stay, I strongly recommend paying the extra for a superior room to minimize the chances of having an unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a superior room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Bill L
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked an event at the Avalon(which has very nice ball room space) and thru out the day of setting up the staff was very helpful and kind, we had over 50 rooms booked and the front desk clerk Felicia was a class act ! She was very helpful to all the guests and helping us get things organized for the big event. The ball room staff was also very nice and helpful, very good place to have an event and stay. Thanks so much Felicia and all of the Avalon staff we look forward to working with you more in the future Dave n Chris

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This past weekend 20 girls spent the night celebrating a future bride to be! The Avalon was where we began our night, Manasi Dharmadhikari coordinated plans on behalf of the Avalon and was fantastic. She was informative,prompt with every correspondence and beyond helpful for our event. We had a small banquet room in the Avalon, that served as our "pre-party" and The Avalon set up, catered appetizers(menu of my chosing and very reasonable),supplied all dinnerware, table covers, cleaned up and best part of all-we could bring ANY additional things we wanted to the room! IT WAS A FABULOUS TIME. Definately we will come back to The Avalon the next time we are in town! Thank you:)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center was the absolute worst accommodations I have ever been exposed to. The staff was extremely unprofessional, the facility was unkempt and dirty (mold issues), and we were even checked in to an already occupied room. We launched multiple complaints to the receptionist and was told since it was the weekend we could not speak to a manager. Any reliable establishment would not have their receptionist handling issues for every single guest but a general manager regardless of it being a weekend or off-shift. The hotel needs extreme measures taken in order for it to be safe for future guests. It is an absolute waste of money and you would be better off sleeping in your car. I would NEVER recommend this facility to anyone.

Room Tip: NEVER stay at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center in Erie PA.
1  Thank Sharon G
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Don't ever stay here. Was checked in to an occupied room and when I asked for compensation, the front desk clerk, Felicia, she threatened to call the police. WHAT? Where is the manager on duty...no one to make decisions. I was in the hotel business for 15 years and this kind of behavior is unacceptable. She also hung up on me. There we 2 rules our company always posted at the front desk - 1. The customer is always right; 2. Re read number 1. Ignorant workers. I placed a call to the General Manager for a call back on Monday, August 19, 2013. Let's see what happens. Felicia should lose her job for treating customers this bad!

Room Tip: Forget it! The front desk and housekeeping obviously do not communicate. Bolt your door so no one wa...
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The price was right with this hotel and the location is convenient. However, it is desperately in need of renovations. My room was clean but obviously worn. I felt safe in and around the hotel. The parking garage was awkward and I would have preferred to park elsewhere. If you need a decent place to crash for the night, this is the place for you. However, I do not plan on visiting again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business