“Bad Stay”

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at the Avalon Hotel 3-9 Jul 13 the rooms were nasty the beds were not comfortable the TV’s were ancient the curtains in the rooms looks awful looked as if something was on them NASTY…. They were barely hanging on the rods it was disgusting the water pressure was not good the tub and the sinks would fill up with water, dirty water HOW NASTY…. it was clear there was drainage issues I spoke to the General Manage and he told me that he was going to send maintenance up to fix the water issue, well it was not fixed.... I called the General Manager back again and he began to make me feel as if he was ignoring my calls he did not return my calls.

The parking garage was AWFUL… it looked like some type of cave with bird poop everywhere water from the drainage issue was everywhere, to walk up the stairs from the parking garage into the hotel smelled like something was dead(AWFUL SMELL..)
The breakfast was really not breakfast you could not get a cup of coffee after 10 am the place shuts down the weekend’s breakfast we had to pay for REALLY…that should not be and we stayed there for 9 days.

Erie is our hometown, and I look forward to coming home I convinced myself, to stay at the Avalon because it is in the middle of the city and we could walk the downtown I just thought it would be good well NO it was not…I feel bad, because it's just not up on any scale at this point I think the location of Avalon is, is perfect.. Being in the heart of downtown, but my God the place needs help on bring this hotel up to a more upscale hotel I would love to stay there again, but I can’t stay there under the conditions it is now, times are hard and to spend money that is not worthy is not good I feel the money we spent was not worth it under the condition that place was.

1  Thank Jackie J
There are newer reviews for The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here on a recent weekend trip to Erie. The location was great! We brought our bicycles and easily rode to Presque Isle, we attended a Seawolves game, wend to Beer on the Bay, and had great dinners, etc.

However, we had a lot of trouble sleeping. On both Friday and Saturday nights, there were events at the hotel. Anytime another guest would be in the hallway, we were awakened...at 2 a.m., 3 a.m., 4:30 a.m., etc. Some were just casual conversations, while others were arguments, or pick-ups. Regardless, if you want to sleep, bring ear plugs.

Our room was huge! If you want a big room, ask for the King suite. Plenty of room for bike storage, and included a sitting area. Overall, the hotel was clean. We had requested a Do Not Disturb sign for our room since none was provided. We were going to be out biking and wanted to shower when we returned, so we asked at the front desk. They didn't have any signs for us but said they would notify housekeeping to pass our room. However when we returned to our room, housekeeping was in there...not a major problem, just a frustration.

I would possibly stay here again, but if I do, I will be sure to bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blbrandt
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Have been staying at the Avalon hotel since 1991. Will say that we have had some problems, with previous owners, that were talked about in the other reviews, but since the new Owner has taken over, around 2 years ago, I have noticed that things are just getting better every time the we visit. We usually come into Erie at least 5 times a year, and would not think about staying at any other hotel. One thing that did impressed me, we were returning back to the hotel around 2:00 a.m. and we could even get a fresh coffee at that time. This may not mean anything to someone else, but to us it is a plus.
Very friendly staff, and looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank Kenneth G
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Just look at the photos. Our room had mold and stains everywhere. It was so dirty that it looked like they just moved a hoarder from it after 20 years. There were huge piles or bird excrement in the parking garage that looked like a bat cave. The thermostat was broke. The shower faucet wouldn't turn off. There was grime that looked to be many years old. Mold on the ceilings. No parking attendant in the garage. Ticket station broken. The wash cloths and towels felt like sand paper. It smelled like a foul stench. The place was utterly disgusting!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank vivafortuna
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here to take advantage of a special with Waldermere Park. They allowed early check-in which was nice. So I checked in early, didn't go to the room we went directly to the park. Upon return to the hotel, we noticed the parking was not secure, it's underground, not wheelchair accesible, and it was full and not with hotel guests either. When I inquired about this, I was told that there was oveflow parking a couple of blocks over, but the young lady at the desk could to tell me exactly where the overflow parking was. So we go to our room, only to find another's belongings there. Thank they were not there that would have been awkward and thankfully for them we were not thieves. I go to the front desk, they had given our room away. I was told they were full. After sometime, they found us another room. We get to the new room, and I check the mattresses for bedbugs. Great news, no bedbugs, HOWEVER, there were several dead ants in the sheets. The person I was with took care of the ants, I went into the bathroom to find ants crawling all over the floor. They also took care of the ants. The bathtub was moldy, window sill was dirty cracked wood. They redeemed themselves somewhat with the free full hot breakfast, which was quite good. If I ever return to Erie, I won't be staying at the Avalon and you shouldn't either.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
1  Thank mstammicog
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We checked in, slowly I must add, get to rooms its over 85 degrees, old tired place nothing nuce but the water pressure in the shower. rooms dirty mold in bathroom and stains everywhere. then I find out they rent the top out to sudent housing. then go and buy fans for the room. did no good!! so I called down and ask whats up with the ac and person at desk says im the only one working in the building there is not maintance here. she said owner wont do anything about it. we left the next day!! enough said its a dive

Room Tip: not a good room in the place
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

She tries hard, to appear younger than she is, but she smells funny, her teeth and complexion are yellowed, and she still wears her outfits from the 1970's. Sure, she has some interesting stories to tell, but they're all from loooong ago.

This is your Great Aunt Avalon. She's way past her prime, and everyone seems to be simply going through the motions. Here are some quick thoughts.

CHECK IN
The front desk is small, and there were only two employees checking people in. That's not to say there were only two people behind the desk. I counted seven different people coming and going, all getting in the way. The older woman with short hair did nothing but chat with everyone else, causing more and more delays.

PARKING GARAGE
Free Parking in their underground garage SOUNDS like a big benefit, but wait until you see it! Poorly lit with haphazard slots and maybe only 50 available on a first come, first served basis. We moved a garbage can, full garbage bag and an old car battery from a spot to find room. We were worried about the security of our car and wanted to check on it, but were afraid to enter the garage after dark.

ROOM
Clean and the air conditioning functioned well. The king size bed was comfortable. But the room was sparse. It looked like it had a lot more furniture in it at one time, but as the items aged, they weren't replaced. The bathroom was clean, but the water pressure in the shower inadequate. And the walls are paper thin. During the night, we heard everything going on in the next room.

BREAKFAST
There were paper signs posted throughout the hotel advertising a breakfast buffet for $7.00. Yes. $7.00! That sounds like a fantastic price, but that's about all it was worth. It was the standard breakfast you receive at a value-priced chain hotel, and it's usually included with your room.

The location of the Avalon was fantastic for what we were there for. We were able to walk everywhere we needed to go. This hotel could easily be brought back to it's past splendor, but it would take a big overhaul, better customer service, and a staff that does more than the minimum.

I rated the Avalon 3 Stars, because I got my room for a fantastic price. Had I paid rack rate, it would have dropped to 2 Stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach H, General Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for posting to our TripAdvisor page. While the figurative language of your post is very unique, and quite good, there are a few things I'd like to correct to give the readers a better understanding of the property. Our front desk has two computers, thus two front desk agents checking people in. Working cohesively with all of our departments, the front desk serves as the hub for these departments, and whether it be housekeepers needing new keys, utility staff needing to inform front desk of something, or any other various messages/tasks, the front desk needs to be notified of all things going on in the hotel.

The underground parking garage is at a level of brightness we are satisfied with. We recently added many new LED lights to the parking garage, and being that it is underground with no natural light entering, the LED lights have provided a satisfactory level of brightness to the garage. Any underground parking facility is not going to be as bright as a clear, sunny day outside. And, to reiterate a point I've made in previous management responses to reviews on this site, the Avalon has never once had an incident of harassment, assault or any other physical mugging of the sort on property. The fears of such things, albeit are personal and respective to the individual, should be minimized due to the fact that incidents do not occur. Also, there are 94 parking spaces in our garage, not 50, just to let readers know the number. As far as moving a garbage can to find a space, I apologize for the inconvenience of having to do that. During a busy weekend, utility is down there to maintain the facility, you most likely just experienced a time right before they were to make their rounds and clean the necessary obstructions.

I am happy you found the location of our hotel to be beneficial to your stay, and I am also glad you enjoyed the free downtown parking, as well. Thank you for your business, and again, thank you for the clever post, it was very unique.

Thanks again.