“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!”

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Outdated, their pics on their website are misleading. We got a bad feeling since the moment we walked in. We were greeting by this young, nice lady, but she was not even wearing a uniform, not even a decent attire, she wore a "t-shirt". The hallway was very dirty and messy. We got so scare when we got to the parking lot, again, very dirty, but the worse part was that the parking did not even have a door, open to anybody, there was also a bunch of people drinking and partying, who knows if they were even staying at the hotel.
Waiting for the elevator, a nightmare, it took too long, again, wall to wall disgusting, this was more like a -1 star hotel. Very noisy at night, bed old and uncomfortable.The room was large, and I will leave it at that, that was pretty much the only good thing about my stay.

I could go on and on about how horrible my stay was but this space will not be enough.

As my title of this review says - DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you did not find your stay with us to be more relaxing and enjoyable. We've put a lot of care into every aspect of our hotel, and it concerned me to hear about your experience. We ask that our workers remain in uniform during all times, and I'll look into what happened here. When was this exactly?

Your comments are something we take very seriously, and if you have a moment, I'd like to hear what else we can improve upon for next time. Feel free to leave an e-mail address or phone number where I can contact you. I'd like to clear the air, and gain a better understanding of your stay! Thanks for sharing, and take care.

There are newer reviews for The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went to Erie, PA to attend a seminar whose venue was the Avalon Hotel's Conference Center. The hall was very spacious and well lighted. The hotel rooms were clean and smelled fresh. I really liked how they keep a 6 plug adapter near the bed, so I didnt have to unplug the alarm clock and lamp to charge my phone and laptop, this is something Holiday Inn has yet to learn.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

3  Thank Shreeji007
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thanks for the five-star recommendation! That six-plug adapter definitely makes a difference––glad you appreciated it. You've hit upon everything we aim for, and hopefully, we'll get the chance to welcome you back the next time you're in Erie!

Take care,

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great hotel with nice hall and meeting areas, friendly staff with great service. The hotel has nice size rooms with nice big windows, had great night sleep. Walking distance to lake and light house.
Staff helped out with all the requirments for our meeting setup in the hall. The mager or owner was very friendly as well. Great stay.

2  Thank Tom P
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thanks for the stars, Tom! We're happy to hear that great service, nice rooms, and a perfect location made your experience a positive one. We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you to Erie! Your group was wonderful, and we appreciate the recognition of our hard work to make your stay more enjoyable. Until then, take care.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

It was a good deal. Staff was friendly and exceeded our expectations with their service. We needed extra chairs, stage tables, pillows, and comforters for our 3 day stay. The owner himself and his professional staff personally aided us in all of our needs. Highly recommended place that continuously getting better.

3  Thank TejasP775

Thanks for the five-star recommendation! I can't begin to express how much we appreciate your kind words, and I look forward to sharing them with the rest of the team. Think you'll be back again soon? We hope so! Until then, take care.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The rooms are very clean and organized. They had good service to. Very friendly staff as well. They helped me with my keys and they gave us extra towels when I asked for them. The big conference room downstairs was very clean as well. And the kids got to play in the side room. They let them play checkers on the tables as well. Their suites are very good. They are big and have nice furniture in them as well. Overall this hotel is a good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Yesha P

Wow, what a great review! Thank you, Yesha! You've hit upon everything we aim for, from great service to clean rooms. Did you get a good chance to explore downtown Erie? We appreciate your support, and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was so afraid to check in, just based on the reviews, but im glad we stayed here!!!!! We had a king suite and it was very clean and nice. Had little interacton with staff, but they were friendly. The printer was down, so we cudnt get a receipt, but no biggie. I would stay here again. And I got engaged here!!! Will forever be in my memories.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thanks for reviewing us, Sophia! I'm thrilled to hear that we managed to go above and beyond your expectations, and that you had such a great stay. Most importantly, that is so exciting about your engagement—congratulations! We're honored to have a place in your memories. Until next time, take care!

Best wishes,

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went for the wine on the lake festival. Hotel gave out free tix for martinis but ran out of 1 of 2 kinds offered early. The person giving them out should have updated the Bar Manager. Bar needed more staffing, but they were trying. Our room was clean, but the bathrooms are "dark" and the towels are way too small, old and too few. Bed was very comfortable. Front Desk was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thanks for sharing, George! We're still in the process of renovating our hotel, and appreciate your feedback. I can assure you that we'll keep it in mind! If you have any other suggestions, feel free to share them with me.

That said, I'm happy that you enjoyed the room and found the front desk staff to be very accommodating. I'll have to share this with them!

Hopefully, we'll get the chance to welcome you back again down the road. I'd love to put our absolute best foot forward, and really "wow" you! Thanks for sharing, and take care.