The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Erie(Erie)(Great Value!)
$114
$139
$118
  • Pool
$134
Red Roof Inn Erie(Erie)(Great Value!)
$64
$67
$90
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon for a wedding. The room was like a sauna. The air was shut off. When we complained at the front desk, they gave us a 6-in. fan to use. They told us to open the windows - which had NO SCREENS. After the wedding, my wife and I were asleep in our beds when a drunken man came into our room (we had forgotten to put the security chain on the door that night) and started arguing with us that we were in his room. He came back two more times and tried to break throuigh the chain. It turned out he was also a guest at the hotel who had lost his room key. He went to the desk and asked for a key to our room (he forgot his room #). Without asking for ID or checking, the clerk at the desk MADE HIM A KEY TO OUR ROOM! The next morning, I told the desk clerk I wanted a refund for the last night (our third night in the room). She said that since we had paid in advance as part of the wedding rate, the GM would have to arrange the refund. The GM called me later and said he would check the records and call me. Five days and numerous calls (by me) and he still hasn't called me. I've called the credit card company, and will file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the Bureau for Consumer Protection. My advice - STAY AWAY!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

I want to apologize if this was your experience staying with us last year, David. We care a lot about the hotel, but most importantly our guests, and want everyone to leave having had a relaxing and safe stay.

Your comments, as well as others, prompted us to invest a lot of time and energy into renovating the hotel. I can assure you that the issues you formerly experienced have been taken care of, or are in the process of being addressed.

I would like the chance to speak with you further, so please feel free to contact me at (814) 459-2220. I'd like to clear the air, as I hope you'll give us a second chance the next time your travels bring you to Erie. Thank you for sharing, and take care!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Sept.30th warm outside for this time of year.My wife and I are checking in.Front desk person is very nice and signs us in.We go to the room and upon entering it is very hot and dingy.Iproceed to turn on the air to cool off guess what no air they shut it off for the winter.Was not told a thing upon making reservation or checking in.got refund and went to Comfort Inn.BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel.Cannot blame the workers there I have to blame the owners.....
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

It disappointed me to read your review from last fall, and I apologize if you and your wife didn't have a more enjoyable stay. We take your comments seriously, and want you to know that we've taken steps in the past few months to renovate the hotel. I'm really proud with how far the hotel has come, and would encourage you to stop by the next time you're visiting.

If you have any comments or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me at (814) 459-2220. I'd love to clear the air! Thanks for sharing, and take care.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at this centrally located hotel and we were pleased with our stay. Rooms were spacious & clean, Ballroom was beautifully decorated, food was delicious, heard that Avalon has same chef for years. We would go back again and again when we are in town visiting friends and family

Room Tip: ask for renovated rooms and towards peach street
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DS h
Reviewed September 9, 2012

After traveling for 8 hours, we drove into the dark, smelly garage and went to the front desk. There were no luggage carts available. The check-in process was smooth, but the hotel was painting and there was a large ceiling fan on the stairway dangerously obstructing our path. We checked into the room and found several long black hairs on bathroom floor, drapes hanging off a broken hook, and filthy furniture. The room did not look like it was vacuumed. We were in Erie for a wedding and my sister-in-law also stayed here. When she climbed into bed, she felt something soft and furry in the sheets. She threw the sheets off to find a Kiwi in her bed! Under the sheets, in her bed. A Kiwi. How does a Kiwi get in the sheets??? I guess I should not have been surprised when the hotel bar closed at 10pm on a Friday night. The bar was not well stocked anyway, they did not have any of the 5 cordials I requested. Again, we were here for a wedding that was planned well in advance. How do you not stock the bar? A member of our party asked for a Michelob Ultra, she was told they didn't have any, although we saw the Michelob Ultra in plain view. The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel, along with the many other guests who attended the wedding. There was one server for about a dozen tables, with more than 4 people at many of the tables. The coffee was served in styrofoam cups. I would love to know who owns this hotel and how they stay in business. Maybe it's a front to launder money??? Do not stay here. The entire experience was awful. To echo the other reviews, I would have rather stayed in my car.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathy B

I was concerned to read your review from last September Kathy, and apologize if this was your experience. I can completely understand why these things would have you irked, and please know that we take what you have to say seriously.

As a result of your comments, we decided to make a massive upgrade to the entire hotel. It's come a long way, and I can assure you that you won't have to deal with the same issues the next time you visit.

In the meantime, if you'd care to speak with me further please feel free to do such. You can reach me at (814) 459-2220. Thanks for sharing, and take care!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We held our class reunion downtown so the Avalon was a good place to stay location wise. I was given 2 tours of the rooms & both times shown bright, nicely decorated, renovated rooms which when signing the contract for a block of rooms was told that is what my guests would get. It was not. Upon check in many of us had to wait an hour because they were "checking something" & would not allow us to go to our rooms. An hour later as I walked in my room 2 men were walking out & said they had to check the smoke alarm so I, "did not burn to death that night"!! The room was not renovated, I called to complain & was told it was renovated; hideous carpet & wallpaper & all old furniture, bedspread & curtains. A classmate had mold growing on wall by his bed! The bathroom was gross & had black hair throughout it, not cleaned well, only handtowels & one was in such bad shape I just threw it out & when you took a shower the tub filled up. Except for one helpful cleaning woman who gave me some real towels, the customer service was non existant; we had gift bags for our guests - some never got them, we've no idea where they went & we PAID extra to have them put in the rooms. We now call it the CRAPALON Hotel. Location & cheap rate were the pluses everything else a minus! Whoever owns this places needs to clean house & start over - it used to be a nice hotel now it's a dump.

Room Tip: Even is you ask for a renovated room you are not likely to get one - stay someplace else if you want nice accomodations and staff that actually know what "customer service" is.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends