“Call the Health Department” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Cleveland, Ohio
“Call the Health Department”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

This by far has been the worst experience in customer response and service at a hotel in my life. The complaint is in the direct result of the unidentifiable stains on the shower curtain liner. The shower curtains in the bathroom had what appeared to be blood and mold at the bottom. I’m not certain but it was not safe to touch or have it touch you. I called the front desk and ask them to change the curtain ASAP. As a matter of record I called 3 times with the same response which was no response. The call to action did not happen at all for the entire stay and the next morning the front desk apologized and said that I would have to call the General Manager Monday morning to record the complaint. The GM who goes by the name of Zach told me after inspecting the room which by amazement housecleaning still had not changed the curtain “I would not take a shower in that bathroom” and that not compensation would be awarded to you and that final. The room rate was for 169.00 for a poor staff, worse management system and a room that the shower was unusable. The hotel management should be fired and employee’s service training initiated immediately. I will contact the health department to identify the stains in the shower. This will fall in line on not only a complaint but public safety and the city need to inspect the hotel immediately for such a legitimate issue

Room Tip: will sedn photos for the bathroom
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Ive stayed at this hotel twice because it's perfect location for us going downtown and the other hotels in Erie are way over priced.
The first stay was in september 2011 and we had a suite. The Suite was terrible and looked very old school. Needed a lot of work done but because I spent one night and not a lot at the time at hotel I dealt with it.
Next stay was in January 2012 and we requested a room that just had work done on it. This room was way better than the original stay i had. everything was redone and it looked new. The only thing about this room is the cost was more expensive, but its worth it for a much clearner room.

Will be staying here again next month, hoping there has been more renos done so we can enjoy our weekend stay.

Room Tip: ask for the new redone rooms!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kristie J
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Avalon in centrally located so that you can walk to any downtown destination. There is self parking
in an attached garage. The desk staff were efficient. The room was huge with an empty area that might have acommodated another bed or it could have made a nice sitting area. The room is typical of most motels with the dark irridescent bed cover and coffee maker. It appeared to be clean though worn and it had that motel disinfectant odor (But, in their defense, I think that I had a smoking room).
I had a bright pleasant view of the street in front of the entrance. I spent most of my time at a reunion so I spent little time in the hotel. It met my needs very well. There are 3 other downtown area hotels:
2 are probably a step up from sleeping in a tent in a landfill and the other is way over-priced (It would be over-priced in Paris).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jorodo
Oakmont, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is a very poor excuse for a hotel. My wife and I were attending a wedding at the hotel, so we arranged to stay there also. First, our wedding was at another location at 3:30 in the afternoon. Originally, we were told we couldn't check in until 3. We were planning on changing at a Rest Area on our trip up. I called in the morning of the event and asked again. The Front Desk manager was kind enough to indicate we could check in earlier.

When approaching the hotel; which is supposedly in the center of the Cultural district, you see a rather bleak, dull, gray structure. It sort of reminds you of the old Soviet Union

The lobby is uneventful. Checkin was okay

We moved on to our room on the 7th floor. The elevator was dirty, the halls were musty. The room was large with 1950 furniture. I went to the ice machine for ice and a soft drink. The bottom of the ice machine had that black, slimmy goo on the bottom. Later I went to get an extra Decag coffee from the front desk. Beside the elevator, I saw a door I thought might be the stairwell. Instead, it was the maids closet. What a dump. The rollaway beds were scattered about, and looked like they might be from a refugee camp..

Back to the room. The AC was turned on, and obviously nobody had changed filters in some time. Went tfor a shower the next morning. There was soap, no shampoo, and the bath had no exhaust. The sink and tub drained very slow.

This place is not worth the $100 a night stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

Grand Prairie, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I booked my room for a family reunion I stayed for 4 days. I payed my entire stay upfront and today 5 days after I've been home I've been charged an extra day. Norma the lady at the front desk says she had my card authourized because they did not take the full amount. WRONG!!!!! I sent her my bank statement and receipt and what did she have to say. Not even an I'm sorry but only that the night auditor would have to look at it and she'd get back with me in a couple days. I DON'T THINK SO!! I'LL BE RIDING HER UNTIL I GET MY REFUND AFTER ENDURING THIS DUMP FOR FOUR DAYS.

ANYONE READING PLEASE STAY AT THE SHERATON JUST A MILE AWAY AND PAY FOR THE LUXURY UGHHHHHH!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I travelled to Erie because of a family reunion. I booked two rooms. First, they gave us keys that did not work for the rooms and the one room was left open for anyone to walk in. The floors had obviously not been vacuumed. We called the front desk and asked could we get keys that would work for the doors, we had to wait for maintenance for almost 45 mins to rekey the room doors. This was after calling 3 times. When maintenance came to rekey the room, they gave us a choice of new rooms which we took, but again the floors had not been vacuumed. There was some type of wet odor in the room. Also, the bathroom door locked and we had to call maintenance again..and, again, it took over 45 mins for them to come and open the door. The maintenance guy had to pick the lock because they don't have keys to the bathroom doors. I was dissappointed because I am a veteran traveller and also a native of Erie. The Avalon used to be a place that was known for it's excellent service, food and accommodations. What happened?

Room Tip: If you need to be in town or downtown, it's a better price, but I would check out the Sheriton a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank babysnax2
Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Briefly, this hotel is a dump.
I am a veteran business traveler with years of experience with most kinds of hotels.
Dark, dingy and way past its prime, it has peeling wallpaper and paint, smelly and dank hallways, and just two urksome dirty elevators servicing the entire hotel, one being always out of order.
BEWARE!
Front desk collects entire stay up-front, and rudely refuses refunds once you see the room.
Old, tired obsolete bedding (no bedbugs...we checked) cranky air conditioning and stopped up tub drains made this stay a nightmare.
Front desk staff rude and not interested in the comfort of guests.
Dark and leaky basement garage without adequate security.

Travelers would be well advised to book one of the many hotels out by Interstae 90 that are within an easy two minute drive to downtown.

Room Tip: Stay well away from this dump.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business