“WORST hotel experience we have ever had!”

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Erie
East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“WORST hotel experience we have ever had!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! I so wish that I could give positive comments about this hotel, but it was awful. Don't waste your money like we did. We had a 'newly renovated room' which had a refrigerator that did not work and NO ONE was ever available to fix it. I had triple checked on the amenities through the front desk of the hotel before we checked in and I was told that we would have a microwave and refrigerator. We did not. The room was so hot that we assumed that there must have been a problem with the air conditioner. We were told that it's just an old system. It's a small, old vent on the one wall and the air coming out feels like a fan. The air coming out of the vent is warm to cool. It was so hot that we opened the window to sleep, even though there was no screen in the window and it only opened about 6 inches. Just be aware that all of the rooms are like this. HOT...and there is nothing you can do about it. Also, ask about parking because the parking garage that is dark and dirty doesn't have enough spaces for the hotel, so each time you leave, you are not guaranteed a parking spot. One evening we had to park on the street a block away. This is no exageration. Also, you will have to ask for extra towels because there were 2...for 4 people. The room, even though it was one of the newly renovated rooms...the hotels words...not ours...the drawer was missing from the desk; the chain lock on the door was so old and bent that we couldn't use it and you are in downtown Erie. Remember...the refrig. did not work and it was sitting on the floor. I could tell you so much more, but I am getting so angry just thinking about the money we wasted on that place! If you do take the time to read the reviews, you hopefully will take them seriously and find somewhere else to stay. We could not wait to leave. It was the most bizarre experience we have ever had! If you do make reservations, you'll see exactly what all these negative reviews are about. Actually, you will probably be writing your own after you leave. I read the reviews once we returned and I could not believe how true they were!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to stay in one of the newly renovated rooms. Just remember - the hotels air condi...
2 Thank Ann R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Akron, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have to preface this review by saying I had stayed here before, and vowed to never stay again. I would never stay at the Hotel Avalon voluntarily, although I had to for work. There few options for any traveler in the Erie metro area. My company had originally booked me at the Sheraton, however they were unable to honor the original rate arranged through a professional organization. Due to that situation, my company booked me at the Avalon against my wishes. I will admit that it was a better experience than last time, however still subpar. Severl reviews mention the outdated rooms. This is an understatement. The rooms are circa 1987 or so, and the readily evident wear and tear on everything leads me to believe that the furnishings have more than likely been there since then. The old 13' picture tube television bolted to the dresser was an unwelcome trip down memory lane. The beds are extremely uncomfortable with the thinnest of sheets underneath a filthy comforter. The bathrooms, while cleaner than my last visit still had black mold and mildew on the tiles and ceiling. The air conditioning seemed to only have one setting, as I had the thermostat turned down to 40 degrees, and the room never seemed to get comfortable. The facilites leave quite a bit to be desired. I tried to get a drink at the bar/restaurant and the waitress was unable to fix me a simple drink. Frankly, she seemed surprised to even see a customer in there. I've stayed in worse places for sure, and that's why the receive two points rather than one, however I would avoid the Hotel Avalon if you can.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank ChemBro001

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon 12 years ago for a wedding. ALL I can say is it has gone down hill...WAY down hill. The rooms are horrible! There was black mold all over the bottom of the shower curtain. The wall paper was peeling off the way under the window because of all of the black mold on the wall. The bed comforters were dirty. The pictures they show online look nothing like the actual place. This place is disgusting! Never again!

3 Thank Leanne M
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My son and I stayed 2 nights for a weekend wrestling tournament. Parking is miserable. Very small garage and hard to manuever in. At least if you could find a spot it was free. Waited for the elevator in the parking garage with all of our luggage and waited...and waited. Lugged luggage up the stairs to the lobby. Checked in, was put on the 8th floor. We got to our room and the keys would not open the door. Had to go back to the lobby. Got a set of key cards that opened the door. Room very dated, cracks in walls and was just showing it's age. A/C was not very strong and very noisy, called the front desk and her advise was "to give it time, it should get better". The one thing I will say that our room was for the most part clean and I have a herniated disc and sometimes hotel beds make me very sore but the bed was very comfortable. The first night was fairly uneventful. The second night however was not. I found out that the Erie arena football team lives on the 8th floor. When the bars closed they decided to come up and continue the party and conversation in the hallway. I was sleeping with earplugs and was woken up by them. Called the front desk twice. Very dissapointed in my stay. I will sleep in my car before I would ever stay at this hotel again.

2 Thank Warren R
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed May 23, 2012

UNBELIEVABLY DISGUSTING! I booked my room with hotels.com, booking a king bed and a pullout couch for my daughter. The pictures on hotels.com looked beautiful. The room was NOTHING but! I checked in at the front desk and was immediately hit by the messy dress of the staff -- jeans and a top for the clerk -- unprofessional. No one wore a uniform. Everyone there looked like anyone else -- nothing distinguished them as being part of the staff.

As soon as I gave my name, I was asked if I reserved the room with Expedia, and I said no. The clerk then told me that the room I reserved wasn't available, but that I was going to be upgraded to a Superior room, and they weren't going to charge me any extra. I laughed -- of course I wasn't going to pay extra for their mistake! I was told there were two queen beds in the room. I figured my fiance and I could bunk in a queen and give my daughter the other queen bed, and I agreed to take the room.

As we walked down the hall to the room, I realized this was not a nice hotel. Everything appeared to be built in the 1970s, and nothing had been changed since then. The entrance door was what could best be described as rough-hewn wood, painted dark brown. Not very secure. We went inside the room and my daughter went to take a shower. The bathroom door wouldn't close. I then looked at the beds and realized they weren't queen beds...they were doubles. And no way would there be enough room in one double bed for 2 adults. I called down to the front desk and explained the bed situation. She told me they didn't have any king beds, and I then retorted that I was going to require another room with another bed in it. She said she didn't have authority to do that and that I would have to talk to the manager.

I went downstairs to talk to the manager. He was gone for a very long time looking for another room for us (for which I was grateful). In the meantime, a group of wedding party guests was checking in for the night. They were given their key and left the front desk. Five minutes later, they came back, stating that the room key they had been given had people sleeping in the room! What a nightmare!!

The manager came back after some time and told me they had a handicap accessible room, but that it had a king bed and double bed also. I said I would take it. In retrospect, I should have asked for a refund and slept in my car. That's how bad it was!

Upon getting to the room, I was again met with the rough-hewn wood door (what hotel has wooden doors? aren't they all steel doors?). We closed the door and noticed the chain on the door had been compromised by some earlier guests. Bent and misshapen, with no semblance of security. Thank God there was a deadbolt on the door. Every piece of furniture in the room looked like it had once been in someone's trash. Major scratches and gouges in the future, and the bathroom door had been hit with something hard so that it had major holes in it.

I was immediately struck by how disgusting the room was...water damage on the ceiling, plaster falling off, no smoke detector, a TV in the room (but a box TV about the size of a small Cadillac). We didn't even turn it on, because we didn't want to touch the remote. The carpeting didn't look like it had ever been cleaned. After I took my shower, I immediately put my shoes on so I didn't have to touch the floor with bare feet.

We proceeded to remove the bedspreads from the bed and toss them on the floor. As I removed the spread from the King bed, I found food on the bed. Gross! The sheets appeared to be clean, but I was grossed out for the night.

The sink in the bathroom was off-kilter, so that any water that was on the counter rolled right off onto the floor in front of where you stand. and the faucets were put on backwards (see picture), so that in order to turn the faucet on, you had to reach behind the faucet to turn the handles towards you. We weren't handicapped, but anyone who was wouldn't be able to reach those handles from their wheelchair!

I managed to sleep some, though it was a fitful sleep. I had to sleep on the very edge of the bed, because any other movement meant that I rolled down the bed to my fiance. The mattresses must have been 25 years old! I was afraid I would go home with bed bugs.

Needless to say, this place should be condemned. It needs so much help, it would probably be most cost-effective to restart from the ground up.

Room Tip: Stick with a name brand hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelBuff17
cooperstown, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My family and us stayed here for our family vacation. When you went into the hotel lobby it looked like a nice clean hotel. Then we went to our rooms were we found the place to be dingy and outdated.The worst part was that my wife and I asked for extra pillowswereturned to our room the extra pillows were there on the floor.YUCK!!! The only good part it was close to Waldeemer. We will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Read the reviews of a place before you decide to go there!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mc4jesus
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We chose this hotel because it is close to the arena where we had tickets to a concert. First, the room was stuffy and we tried the A/C but it didn't work. A call to the desk told us to open the window. All the furniture was dusty (I could write my name in the dust), light bulbs were burned out, there was no coffeemaker (coffee was there), the bathroom floor was STICKY, the bathtub didn't drain, there was no "guest book" to give us information about the hotel and the area, and no handicapped bar in the shower/tub. We closed the window when we went to bed but the outside noise was terrible. We will not be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple