“Had a great stay”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed April 28, 2005

We stayed here for two nights on our way between Albany NY and Chicago IL, arriving Friday at 9pm and checking out Sunday at 11 am. The room was a bit small for four (2 adults/2 kids) but had the microwave and fridge we expected. While the rug could have used a cleaning, the bathroom was in excellent shape, with a strong, new shower. Our room was very quiet, though we did hear other guests complaining about noisy people next door to them. The breakfast was above average due to the ability to make your own waffles - which our boys loved doing - and offered lots of carb choices as well as yogurt. The shuttle to Splash Lagoon came promptly. We were glad to have saved a few bucks by staying at the Econo Lodge rather than the connecting hotels. We could only take being a Splash Lagoon for a few hours before the crowds got too thick, but we really enjoyed it for the period of time we were there. I would recommend a few hours first thing when it opens, then a few hours around dinner time. Spend the rest of the time at Presque Isle, playing in the "real" water!

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank AlbanyNYFamilyFour
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed February 7, 2005

we just got back from staying here and splash lagoon across the street. When our room was ready I toted our heavy luggage back to the room only to find that it wasn't ready and it wasnt the type of room i reserved. This room was still dirty and had 2 double beds, so i had to lug the luggage back up to the desk to inform them of this. they did find a room fairly quickly for me. The only problem i have with the whirlpool room is that there is just a shower curtain between the bathroom and bedroom area. There's a large space in the wall above the tub and this is covered by a shower cutain. (there's no wall). so this makes for a strange showering experience because the steam is filling up the rest of the room and all it takes is for someone to move the curtain and you're on display for all to see!! didn't like that. Also our tub was broken, and we had to wait a couple hours for them to come and fix it (i didn't want to change rooms again).
the breakfast is typical continental with the added advantage of being able to make your own waffle, which takes sometime in line. Coffee, however, was LOUSY. the shuttle service was good. but i would probably opt to stay at the holiday inn express, it seemed so much more convenient that going in and out of the cold to get back to your hotel. Also, i snuck a cup of coffee from the holiday inn lobby and it was GREAT!! so, all in all not a bad stay but i would go for the HI express next time.

6  Thank jeannana
Reviewed July 27, 2004

Now before I start this review, I travel to Erie about 10 times a year for approximate 3 nights each visit, so I am no stranger to this wonderful city...
I just returned from staying on a 2 night package with Econolodge & Splash Lagoon. I got a great deal, $ 129.00 for a king jacuzzi suite & 4 passes to splash lagoon. We arrived at the hotel and and were given our passes to the waterpark as our room was not ready yet ( 2:30 Pm ) we could check back after 4 Pm..... Very early ( 4;00 am ) the next morning my husband rec'd a telephone call and he had to leave, my daughters & I stayed knowing the hotel provided a shuttle to the waterpark and the nearby restaurants offered delivery , so I knew we would be Ok... He would return to get us on Tuesday evening.. I went to the front desk on Monday morning and explained my situation. I told the clerk I had left my wristbands for the waterpark in the car, I would be willing to pay for new ones if needed be, and then I could be refunded when my husband returned... Needless to say she treated me like a criminal.. Gave me the wristbands for that day & gave me a lecture... I also explained my situation about not being able to leave until 8pm Tueday evening instead of 11:00 am checkout, I inquired about late charges or a different room.. They wanted me to spend $ 139.00 to move to another room with 2 double beds /smoking... I said no to this offer..
I checked back later with a different clerk about leaving my stuff in a storage closet or something and I was told the storage area is on a first come first serve basis... I f I could bring my stuff to the storage area around 7:00 am I could be guaranteed the storage room... I then asked about a different room again !! And was given the rate of $ 89.99 but could not have it until check in at 4Pm.. Now I am beginning to think there is something n the water that these people should not be drinking.... So I asked, what should I do with my belongings until 4pm ? I was given the option of renting many lockers at splash lagoon ( yes that is what they suggested.... ) or I could put it in the STORAGE ROOM.. yes you bet the storage room the same one that was on a first come ~ first serve basis.. But now I would have priority because I just would have just paid $ 89.99 plus taxes...
I then made a phone call to choice hotels where I was given a rate of $ 79.99 plus txs.. and explained my situation, On Tuesday morning at 11:00 I was moved to a smoking king room, yes that was a king room.. Although I belive it was a room that they have not used in many moons, the dust was so thick on the desk you could right your name in it... ( I know because, my daughter did ) and the bathroom consited of a shower only, and the toilet had a grey ring in it ( like you see at some gas stations, on an interstate ) And over looked the roof of a back entrance.. The room completly stunk, I went next door where the cleaning lady was getting more supplies and aksed for some room freshner for room 228, can you imagine my surprise when she said to me "what room " ????? I repeated room 228 and she said are you sure ????
I knew right then this room had not been used in very long time....
When it came time for check out at 8;30 pm that evening, the clerk had the nerve to ask "leaving so early " and then said I am sure you enjoyed your stay... I replied " now I know why I stay at the Clarion Bel - Aire hotel on 8th street.. " The Bel-Aire is truly a gem, with competent & helpful staff
So in short or long, Ok place to stay, but not for the money this place is nothing more that a $ 59.99 per night property... Oh and the pool as listed in ohter reviews is too cold to swim in, the thermometer read 68 degrees....

4  Thank Lisa B
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 14, 2004

Every year, my family and I take a vacation to Erie and we always choose the Econo Lodge to stay. It is a very nice and clean hotel and has all of the amenities you could need. The pool and hot tub are very nice, clean, and provide a relaxing environment. I would recommend this hotel to anyone vacationing to the Erie area.

Reviewed June 27, 2004

stay was overall better tahn expected but was quite costly. 2 nite almost 250.00. pool clean but a bit small and out-dated but hot tub made up for that. fitness room could have been bigger but was mostly electronic and informative. room was much better than most econo lodge rooms as far as clean, and extras. staff was friendly but did come in our room when we had the do not disturb sign on door so i wouldnt leave anything of value when you leave for the day. location is great, splash lagoon across street, country fair next door, bob evans across the street, tons of restuarants near by and large mall about mile away. follow peach street right to the marina about 5 miles away. continental breakfast is lame and your better off at bob evans. i can see how it is an award winning hotel because it was a pleasant stay but it does need some up-grades that you would think you would see for what you pay per nite.

Reviewed June 26, 2004

We stayed here on our trip across America specifically to go to the water park and were dissapointed to find it closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. None the less we found the staff extremely helpful even keeping the gym open after hours for us! the pool was lovely and clean but after swimming in the huge very warm jacuzzi the pool was a little too cold. The room and the bathroom were clean and the hole between the hot tub and the bedroom was novel to say the least! The breakfast included in the price was the best of the 20+ motels we stayed in during our trip. All in all this was very good value for money and i would recommend it to anyone passing through.

3  Thank zophie100
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed November 10, 2003

Cleanest pool and hot tub I have ever seen. The hot tub was huge, the room was clean, the staff was great! If you have an Entertainment book it will save you some money, they offer a discount. The place is across the street from the indoor water park, the kids will love it. It's next door to a convienence store....real convienent. Plan to go back in the winter to get a package deal with the water park. It's not what you think of an EconoLodge in years past, would go back without question.