“could be nice”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This could be a nice place with a bit of cleaning, repairs and some consideration shown to guests.
-noticed large bags of garbage, dinnerware by doors and laundry in the hall when we checked in at 3:30 pm which I figured would be cleaned up when rooms were all cleaned, but it was all still there when I went to bed.
-noticed dresser drawer were all askew and off tracks which I ended up fixing in order to use them.
-pool area nice but fake palms covered in layers of dust, sauna was cold even after turning on for an hour
-at about 5AM was woke up by staff talking very loudly in the hall, I am guessing they were collecting garbage and delivering receipts under the door.
-noticed on receipt that they charge for a safe in the room even though you do not use, they refund this if you happen to notice and complain

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank torkerob

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel (by myself thank God) and for the next 3 1/2 weeks I suffered from bed bug bites 96 bites to be exact. 3 doctors appointments and 2 prescriptions later I am finally getting some relief. I still am having medical problems due to this incident.

This stay ruined our family vacation plans. The hotel response was to offer me 50% off my next stay in that same hotel. Choices response was to say that the hotel are owner operated and the corporate office has no response. I might as well have stayed at Billy Bob Hotel.

To say I am extremely disappoint in the hotels and corporate is an understatement.

Point of information: The CDC advises that bed bug bites can take up to 3 weeks to come out. A travel precaution is to pack all your items in zip plastic bags and also wrap your suitcase in a plastic bag and store on the luggage rack. This may prevent you from bring them home with you. Never put your suitcase on the bed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Helene T
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The walls are paper thin--I could hear actual conversations occurring in the next room. Fortunately, that family quieted down at 11 p.m. The breakfast was appalling--the breakfast room was way too small; every seat was taken and about 25 people were in line for the waffles. So I didn't bother, but what was extra frustrating was that even the coffee thermoses in the lobby were empty. I pass through Erie a lot, but next time I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank traveler4722013
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Traveler4722013,

First I want to thank you for sharing comments from your recent stay at Econo Lodge, Erie.
I want to apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry that you unfortunately
were disturbed by noise from the other guest's and that you were not pleased with the breakfast. I want you to know that we are working on some upgrades for our breakfast room.
We hope we will see you again in the near future. Thank you again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have done a lot of traveling and stayed at many hotels. This past weekend we decided on a road trip to Erie, PA. Upon arrival, the hotel lobey was very run down and smelt like stale smoke. The room was old, dated and in a serious need of a Reno. We paid $180+ for a one night stay... This
Hotel should be in the 60+ range.
The following night we stayed in a red roof in fully renovated and awesome for $90. Econo was definitely a rip off! Never again!
Oh... Hot breakfast is waffles or toast....really busy and staff not very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank TravelerReviews83
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear TravelerReviews83,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Econo Lodge- Erie. All feedback is taken very seriously as we strive to meet each and everyone of our guests' needs. I have shared your comments with the appropriate team members and can assure you that your concerns have been addressed.
Again, thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again in the future, we will be getting some great new updates!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm a corporate customer so I've seen a few hotel rooms, this is ok generally: Hot breakfast (get there early), decent indoor pool and jacuzzi, clean & has hot water. Internet is speedy enough, tv has more than a few channels and the bed is comfy. Like the in room refrigerator also.

Missed details: Checkout showed a charge for the in room safe that I did not use; A/C was cold but had a heavy perfume smell forcing me to open the window facing Peach street and it's construction noise over and above the heavy traffic we all know about; when the TV is turned on it is on a 'snow channel' fairly loud... bet the neighbors love that noise; Finally, this hotel STILL has smoking rooms so being away from these could be important.
\MustRestSoon

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MustRestSoon

Dear Mustrestsoon,

Thank you for sharing you comments about your recent stay at the Econo Lodge, Erie.
I am very pleased to hear that overall you were pleased with your stay and I would like to apologize about the safe fee. However we do have a sign posted at our front desk that states that the fee is optional and that you have 60 days for us to remove it from your bill so we can definately do that for you. Again thank you for sharing your comments and we hope you will stay with us on any future trips that you have in Erie!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Not satisfied. Rooms in poor repair and breakfast was non-existent (more on this later). As stated on the elevator license, this property is managed by Scott Enterprises. For those that don't know, Scott Enterprises manages Splash Lagoon and several other restaurants and hotels in the Erie, PA / Peach Street area. Once I found that out I was appalled. You can spend your $$$ across the street then you get the pleasure of staying in a $130 /night 1-star room that is in dire need of repair and renovation. **Hot** breakfast is a joke. I never thought a waffle was considered hot breakfast.?? Staff that manage the breakfast area do a lot of standing around and don't do much to help. Stations were constantly running out of everything with no replenishment. Cereal but no bowls. Coffee with no cream. Waffle makers with no mix. At 9:00am I asked if the stations would be replenished and was told that breakfast ends at 9:30am. Umm...yes that's still 30 minutes. I think when the staff member realized the stupidity of the comment she reluctantly when and attempted to fill some of the stations but some still went empty for 30 minutes. I can only conclude that this is just managements way of saving $$. Remember this is not run by a small operation. Again appalled...you get ripped off for the room and constantly get screwed. Left bad taste and will not bring my family back to any of these Scott Enterprises operations.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank W0rld_Travel_Advisor
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear WOrld_Travel_Adv,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay at the Erie Econo Lodge. I want to personally apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
We want our guests to have the best stay possible where every area of the hotel is clean, spacious, and quiet and all services are on-time and of highest quality. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not inconvenienced as you were.
Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts with us. We value you as a guest and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns and that they have been addressed with the staff and our management company.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We found a bed bug crawling on the wall as soon as it got dark. Soon after, we found 2 more by the microwave. We packed up our stuff and showed the bug to the front desk. The scary part is they didn't even blink, ask any questions or offer us another room when I showed them the bed bug. Makes me think they've dealt with this often. They did apologize and gave us a full refund. Now I just hope we didn't carry any home with us!

• Stayed: August 2013