“Can't complain!”

Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr.
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Brighton, Michigan, United States
“Can't complain!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

For an older hotel the decor is updated and the rooms neat and clean. Location is great. Not in a busy part of town, but close to where you want to go. There is an in house restaurant that offers room service. Wait service was very polite, food was average, however the fries were outstanding!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hatboro, PA
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Rooms were okay, neat, clean, nothing special. We were disappointed that our room had no refridgerator or microwave, web-site stated most standard room inluded these. The others we traveled with did have a fridge but we did not. Hotel has nice indoor pool. Restaurant provides a nice breakfast buffet for $5 for those staying at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I know some other people have written positive reviews about this property, but they must have pretty low expectations for hotels.

I recently stayed here for a business meeting that was held at the nearby Bayfront convention center. The rates weren't bad, but you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, I didn't make this reservation myself or I would have stayed elsewhere.

The hotel is older, but is generally kept up well--at least at first glance. Some small, but very important, things have gone overlooked. For example, the bedding is old and worn. The pillows had clean (I think) cases on them, but the pillows themselves smelled of sweat and dirty hair. The mattress was worn out as was most of the furniture in the room. The deadbolt on my room did not work. And, the card readers on the outside doors also did not work. Internet service was free, but if it constantly shuts off or works slowly, then whether or not it's free doesn't really matter.

The worst part, though, was that my shower/tub drain was completely plugged and the mechanism for closing and opening the drain was broken. The tub very quickly filled with water and whatever else came into the tub that had been in the drain (a lot of filth and pipe gunk). It was truly disgusting. I called the front desk to let them know. Their response did not include any apology or offer to change rooms for me, but instead they planned to send over the maintenance guy when he got back from their other property. As it was well past midnight and I had to get up early the next morning, there was no chance that I could wait up for a maintenance man who might or might not show up. I asked the front desk worker to simply discount my bill, which I was told, "He thought he could do." However, the next morning, the bill was slid under my door showing no adjustment.

There was never any apology or follow-up contact. Clearly, the hotel doesn't really care about it's guests, at least based on my experience.

The restaurant on-site was pretty good and I would eat their again. Their menu had a lot more variety then the typical hotel fare, and I enjoyed the options.

The neighborhood of the hotel wasn't good. To get to the hotel, you had to drive past bars/strip clubs, and this was not a place where you would feel comfortable walking around at night.

In sum, it is very well worth paying a bit more to be closer to downtown, are up-to-date, have clean/fresh bedding, and are in good working order. This hotel is not worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Musician47

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We live in Erie and whenever I need a winter getaway with the kids without going to far we pick the Clarion. Wonderful pool.. cozy furniture surrounding. Nice filling $4 breakfast buffet. The staff always upgrades if they can to a poolside room for us, they always bring us what we need when we ask. I have no complaints and can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bethyfairfield
Mercer, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great location near some good restaurants, and of course Presque Isle. The room was spotless, it overlooked the pool. The entire place was very clean and bright. The staff was friendly and will get coffee for you when the restaurant is closed. I hate paying for breakfast buffet when others offer it for free, but 4 bucks for all you can eat is worth it. The pool area is beautiful and quite warm and cozy in the dead of winter. My only complaint is that the pool is not supervised at all. There were TONS of kids there for the weekend and were all in the pool unsupervised on Friday nite. At one point, there were 8 kids in the hot tub with plates of food!!!!! Make sure there is not a kid's team or something of that sort scheduled for the time you want to be there if you care at all to use the pool or hot tub.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are nice, but it gets warm on the balcony. Can be noisy too.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank katebeachluv
North Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Older Clarion, pretty well kept. Good location, lots of places to eat locally. The internet is a little slow. The breakfast is 4 bucks per person and it’s not bad but the eggs are not very good. Indoor pool, hot tub and the fitness area is better than the average motel.. Room service and housekeeping is very good, in fact all guest services are prompt and courteous. I would stay here again when I’m in Erie.

Room Tip: some of the rooms in the back are a pretty long walk to get to the front of the motel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MoMan43
Cleveland
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Check in went flawless, asked the girl about breakfast and was told it cost 4 bucks, but she also told me it was the "best". The room was pretty good, a tv smaller than the one in my kitchen. The other things I found wrong was a couple of hairs in the bath tub and the shower head was "broken", fixed it, showered, happy camper. There is a restaurant there, walked in, turned around, walked out, no explanation. Breakfast, a different story totally. Scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon and sausage .......... all cold, the eggs were runny, oh yeah, the milk was out of date ( by over a week ), so I decided to try a pastry, frozen together ( old and stale ), tried a bagel and realized why the ice hockey players love this place, you guessed it, hard as rocks. It'll be a long time before I spend my money there, could have went to a fast food joint. Oh well, there it is... thanks for looking

Room Tip: Get a room away from the parking lot !!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business