“Not what is used to be”

Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr.
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Erie
bath
“Not what is used to be”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

On a trip to visit family in my hometown, my husband and I stayed two nights at the Bel-Aire. This used to be the place to stay in Erie but it has gone downhill in that last several years. The hotel is old and needs updated. Very dark hallways, rooms not well lit and very slow WiFi. The king size bed was not very comfortable and the sheets seemed at bit too small as they came off during the night. Pillows small and uncomfortable. Ice machine did not work on our floor. The breakfast buffet is $4 for guests but not worth it. Powdered scrambled eggs, breakfast sandwiches wrapped in foil and sitting under a heat lamp, everything a bit cold. Plastic and stryrofoam cups for beverages. In the age of being green - glasses and coffee mugs would go a long way. Not worth even $4. Would not recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed April 23, 2012

For a <$100 a night stay I was not expecting too much out of this place, and in fact I thought it was much nicer than what I was expecting. So a nice surprise there. The room was decent and spacious enough with a mini fridge and other amenities. The bathrooms seemed UTD and clean. All was well. While I was out of the room for the night I came back to a sopping wet floor due to a faulty air conditioner. Every article of clothing I had was soaking wet like I had jumped in a pool, and my laptop backpack was also wet. I did lose some papers in the process. They switched our rooms immediately. I was taken aback when the hotel rep offered me $2.00 in quarters to go use the hotel drying machine (it was 3am btw). I told him that wouldn't be necessary and refused. Anyway, long story short I spoke with the service desk in the morning, but the supervisor was not present. I took her card and planned on contacting her after the stay. However, the gentlemen working at the desk that day called me about an hour later, and he told me that he was given permission to comp the room! I was very much impressed with the initiative taken here, as it was obviously the right thing to do. The point here is not that the AC nearly took out my entire weekend, but that they did everything they could to make things right. Things happen I understand, but they had zero tolerance for the event and corrected it. This is how its supposed to be! Anyway, the rest of the stay was excellent. Definitely spend your money here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 55brutus
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our wedding anniversary. The place was nice. We had a double bed room and it was really nice. The staff at the reception was not bad. I don't remember her being bad but I certainly won't forget that she was not that friendly. We passed thru the indoor swimming pool on our way to our room. There was a function going on that evening. It was nicely decorated whatever function it was. I liked the ambiance.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Matawan, New Jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2012

NASTY! that about sums it up! I stayed here recently for a private event that sold out the hotel. I only stayed here because of the event. If i had my choice i would went to another hotel. First lets start off with smell in the room. It was horrible! so bad t hat i went to Kmart and bought some febreeze and doused the room. Thank god the windows opened! Also, the AC was not working so i had to buy a $20 box fan at Kmart. I suspect the foul smell was the housekeeper's body odor. I walked by him one day while he was vacuming the hallway and almost passed out from the stench. My lord, shower man! I kept the do not disturb on my door all weekend, but apparently that doesn't man a lot since they entered my room anyways. There are no safes to secure valuables either. The food served by the hotel and in Victors was substandard and in my opinion inedible. The staff with the exception of housekeeping was very friendly. The decor is very dated and I think i may have gotten bitten by bedbugs since i noticed red marks all over my body.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank TRAVELINMANFROMNJ

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I recently stayed at teh Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire in Erie. My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner there and spent our wedding night there almost 9 years ago. The place was great, now not so much. The price is great, Erie tends to be overpriced for some reason. But the hotel is in need of an overhaul. The room was large but everything from the furniture to the drapes is in need of replacement. It was snowing hard and none of the entrances were shoveled. I had to drag bags through deep snow. There was an odd smell in the hallway. Breakfast was affordable but was in a ballroom with some fans blowing on you, and the food wasn't restocked very quickly. The pool area is still nice but the hot tub was about as warm as the pool. Over all, don't expect much, which is unfortunate. In the past this was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get something that opens to the pool. Something on the second level.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GregM33
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 18, 2012

An unassuming hotel if viewed from outside, on 8th Street, Erie, where the road is rather poorly maintained in parts, but what a welcoming once inside. Staff, whilst not always on station to greet you, are friendly and helpfull. We live local thhus rooms were not used.

However the American restaurant inside does offer quality food for a family with kids and teens. A lovely open fire is there to warm yourself by, along with a beer or other beverage at the bar ajoining the lounge, and if you stay overnight in the hotel, you can even have a breakfast overlooking the indoor pool, which is a great option. Obviously, if you have a room by the pool, and want a quiet time, you won't be too happy. Yet overall, a great venue for a family.

Our kids often settlle for either chicken tenders or a steak, and both were ordered, I went with the pot roast and my wife had the chicken fettucine alfredo, and all of us enjoyed our respective meal. The bill was a tad high, but it was worth it given the locality, open fire, and friendly staff in the restaurant. Indeed one of them (I forget her name) even remembered greeting my wife upon our initial visit to Erie some thirty months previously. A good beer was availa\ble on tap, and a good selection of liquors are another option.

Definately one restaurant to visit thus avoiding a trip up to Peach Street, or a visit downtown. Free parking is plentiful.

Room Tip: Presque Isle in the summer is always busy, so it would pay to book a room and a table in advance.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BHEBfoodie
colorado springs, co
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Our rooms were newly remodeled. Service was good. The restaurant was fantastic -- probably the best I have experienced outside of some four star hotels. The breakfast was fabulous ... hard to imagine that it is included with the room. The dinners at the restaurant - Victors -- were wonderful and were actually better than the three other dinners I experienced in Erie restaurants outside of the hotel. The other reviews mentioned dampness .... and since I am from Colorado, I did notice "humidity", but once I cranked up the air conditioning, it seemed appropriate and tolerable. The staff (especially the restaurant) was especially considerate and accomodating to the large families (with babies and toddlers) that were at the hotel attending our family reunion. THANKS!

Room Tip: Visit their restaurant for dinner and their happy hour ... you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family