“Grossed my wife out!”

Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Erie
West Virginia
“Grossed my wife out!”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I usually wouldn't even bother writing a review, but these people need to be exposed. I booked through expedia, we arrived and as I waited to check in I couldn't help but notice that one woman was very angry about the cleanliness of the rooms and another was complaining about something else. We checked in, but before carrying in the luggage, we went to check the room. The sheets were gross, multiple hairs, even little short 'clippings', I don't know if someone doesn't know how to wash sheets, but it looked as if the sheets were not changed, in quite awhile.

I informed the front desk that we were pretty disturbed by the conditions, we didn't even check the bathroom. They did offer to send up maid service, but my wife was totally not willing to 'go back to a dirty well for a clean glass of water.' The desk clerk assured me that we wouldn't be charged for the room.. Guess what, I had to call my credit card company today to dispute the charge. The manager said we broke their cancelation policy and that she had offered to send up the maid. I imagine they even booked this room after we left, they seemed to have been busy...I just can't imagine why the management of this hotel refuses to not charge us for a service that we didn't receive.
We showed up for the reservation, they didn't provide a reasonable service.
We wound up staying at the Wyngate on the next exit....wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
lq6247gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Erie, responded to this review, September 8, 2009
Just wanted you to know that I'm trying to make up for the way you were treated at my Property. It upsets me that you were so disgusted with the old management, but that's why,I was brought in to clean up this Property. I hope, you will give my Property another try in the near futue, and see what changes are in place now. I always put guests first, and I know I can make a difference at this hotel. I'll be glad to book your reservation personally, if you call me directly @ 814-864-1812 ext 401, just ask for Paul. Hope to see you this Fall.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Mississauga
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We first stayed here in Sept’08 and again in March’09. We come to Erie here every few months to shop. We’ve had very good experience both times. Although this past time, the fridge wasn’t working and the bathroom had a slow drain. But for the price USD $50/night, free breakfast, swimming pool (which we used), you can’t go wrong. The rooms were clean. My brother who stayed in a room facing the highway did acknowledge the highway noise can be bothersome. He turned on his heater fan to generate white noise. Both times we stayed here, our room faced the back (north side) and there was no noise at all. It was very quite. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed December 12, 2008

I was perplexed after reading tripadvisor reviews of this La Quinta. The chain usually has an excellent reputation. So I called the hotel and asked if they had solved the issues with housekeeping, they assured me they had. So I decided to keep my reservation for Dec 5th and 6th.

Our room was exceptional, clean and comfy. The morning breakfast was more than most offer, and satisfied us.

Front desk could be a little more helpful. Our room had no hangers in the closet. I asked at the front desk for hangers, and the clerk became obstinate and unyeidling, claiming that if there was no hangers in the room, then I was out of luck. REALLY. I don't think so. He agreed to look in the maid closets and came up with two hangers. I couldn't believe he was unwilling to go into an unbooked, unoccupied room and grab us a couple more hangers. The hotel had plenty of rooms available at the time. How about a little more training on pleasing the public, especially ones that already paid, and might come back.

The 2nd night, we wished we had an evening activity. The hotel had booked a team of Cheerleaders and their families. Our room was near the pool. The screaming and running in the hallway was out of control. We were glad when the pool closed at 10PM. It seemed that the desk clerk was the only hotel employee on duty, and the situation was terrible.

All in all though, I would go back to this hotel. I'd get a room really far away from the pool, and ask if any groups had reservations. I like my quiet.

Also I would recommend this hotel to all my friends traveling to the Erie PA area.

• Liked — clean room, bathroom, corridors, lobby, breakfast area
  • Disliked — front desk problem, hallway noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I have to say, I usually just read TripAdvisor, but I had to share this warning. This hotel should in no way be associated with LaQuinta. I did not read reviews ahead of time; trusting the LaQuinta name. Big mistake! Our room was filthy; it had not been vacuumed & there was dust & crud everywhere. The room reaked of mold & stale cigarette smoke, even though we had asked for a non-smoking room. There was a woman at the desk asking for batteries as her TV remote did not work and the girl at the desk said, "I'm new; can't help you. There is no one else here". We asked for a different room & were told they were sold out. When I said we would not be staying, "new girl" said we might still be charged, as we had checked in after 6PM. So, be warned and stay away; this hotel may present itself as newly remodeled, but they forgot to clean it!!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Erie hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I have read the reviews and I'm thinking there is some confusion. This was originally a Best Western property - I stayed here back in 2005 - it was a great place w/ a great price! Then something happened and it went downhill, (including ERIE POLICE visiting during one of my stays!) the name changed away from Best Western, so I started staying at the renovated Red Roof Inn across the street. I was happy to see the name change to LaQuinta and renovations. But I still see several mixed reviews, so I'm wondering if I will regret my decision to stay @ LaQuinta during an upcoming holiday trip. PLEASE help by writing a current review. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2008
buffalo
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Are we talking about the same hotel? I have stayed here several times in the past and have always had a good experience. After reading the reviews I was very nervous thinking that after changing their name to LaQuinta, things would be different. My experience was wonderful. I had 2 rooms and both were very clean as usual. Daniel at the front desk was extremely pleasant and helpful and the free chocolate chip cookies were always stocked. We had plenty of towels and towels were stocked by the pool also. I think organizations such as soccer teams that plan on taking a large group to these smaller hotels should take into consideration that these hotels were not intended to be used as a recreational facility. When the average person stays at a hotel, not everyone uses the pool so the amount of towels and the size of the pool are fitting. When you have a soccer or hockey team staying, amenities and I'm sure patience are stretched to the limit. I had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank plowman35
Valencia, PA
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Pictures are the only way I could describe the filth SEE ATTACHED! When I sent my complaint, along with pic's to La Quinta C/S, nobody called me. I asked to speak to the manager for 2 days. She "Dina" was not available. When we were leaving on July 20th, Sunday, we received a call from the front desk, informing us that Dina (manager) would not be in and would like to call me at home on Monday. We still (6 days later) have heard nothing from Dina. I'm certain the health department would close this place down if they stepped foot in room 102 or room 104 for that matter. LaQuinta did change the black moldy shower curtain. The drawers were filthy, the light burnt out, bugs, I don't have the time to go on. Run the other way, do not stay at this hotel, not for $1, and we paid $150 per room for this. The kids at the front desk were friendly, but this place is terribly terribly, if at all mismanged!!!!!!!!! Shame on you Dina, and shame on Corporate for allowing this to happen without refund, concern or a personal response.

• Liked — Calling to make reservation
  • Disliked — Showing up - Don't Go, it's filthy
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends